Wiki page layout issues

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by HolyCow »

Smidge204 wrote:Beyond this, I would like to see standardizing of the project landing pages in terms of format: Short intro paragraph, table of contents, list of contributors (translators and editors), actual list of translated pages, and updates at the BOTTOM since they are rarely of any importance. Important stuff can be stuck at the very top of the page for as long as it's relevant.
For some reason I kinda like the updates on top. It makes it easier for people to notice when a chapter has been finished translated.
/me claws out throat and dies
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

"Important stuff can be stuck at the very top of the page for as long as it's relevant."

The reason I'd prefer updates on the bottom is, assuming the list is maintained, it tends to get rather long. This pushes the relevant content down the page.
=Smidge=
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

That's why we clear the updates once in a while ;P

Maybe we should fix a rule, like no more than 3 updates can be on the updates section?
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

I guess this raises a question: DO we want to keep detailed update logs or not?

I'm honestly not sure if they would be useful, but I tend to log everything "just in case."
=Smidge=
Nutcase
Astral Realm

Post by Nutcase »

Since we're wishing for things...

I'd like a button the edit page such that I could make a link to the discussion page by simply highlighting a term, i.e the term would appear as a section title on the discussion page. I also agree that separating the discussion from the translator's notes would make sense, and so this suggests two buttons.

Nutcase
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Smidge204 wrote:I guess this raises a question: DO we want to keep detailed update logs or not?

I'm honestly not sure if they would be useful, but I tend to log everything "just in case."
=Smidge=
Agreed with this.

Though I won't be using it :|, it would certainly be useful and handy in the off case that something someone somewhere needs to know wtf happened.

Better safe than sorry.
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
Nutcase
Astral Realm

Post by Nutcase »

I've actually been using the change logs quite a bit. The ability to track down when certain changes were made, who made them, sometimes it's interesting and useful. It contributes to a very friendly, forgiving editing environment, because you can back away easily from even very large mistakes.

I would probably be better off doing my other writing in this sort of editing environment. Not that I'd want anybody else messing with my own stuff, you understand, it's just the change logs and the search function etc., it's really cool.

Hmm....

Nutcase
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Got a really silly idea for the staff page, and proceeded to test it out on the current events page.

Lemme know what you think ;P

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index ... ent_events
Nutcase
Astral Realm

Post by Nutcase »

Nice work, HC. I'd put the translators over the editors, but maybe we'll have to flip a coin on that.

I'm tempted to say something about cows and affect...

Nutcase
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

I just followed the layout on the wiki, which is Supervisors > Editors > Translators.

BTW the page was built based on GANTZ in case you didn't know.

P/S: Feel free to fill in the blanks.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

One thing at a time...

I'd like to formally submit the proposed guideline for vote. If there are no objections I'll post a poll later tonight.

=Smidge=
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

If anyone has noticed I have made a few changes to the sidebar & Main page layout.

Just a little clean up so it'll be a little bit easier to navigate.

This is just a stop gap measure (My last words, figuratively speaking), so I'll leave it to the group to devised a more permanent solution.

But Yes, something must be done about the sidebar, those alternative translation links are bugging me now, but i can't really see any solution in giving people a direct link without creating a new section on the bar, or labelling more informative will make the sidebar bulge because of the textwrap.

If I did the separate section per project, it would mean other alt. translations of others will follow suit and in the end the sidebar will balloon downwards.

Not a good thing.... :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

That's not all you edited. You added some stuff in the staff page ;P

As Smidge would say: "The almighty change log knows everything"

8)
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Regarding alt. languages.

I think we should officially adopt English as the default language (which it more or less has been, as implied by the current and proposed format guidelines)

This means all links lead directly to the project's English version index page. At the very top of that page, add links to other languages if available.

Along with the poll, I'll whip up an example for this as well so you can see it before you leave, Oni.
=Smidge=
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Done. Sorry for double-post.

I think each *project* should be a category, otherwise there's going to be far too many categories and things will be clogged up.

I'll be adding that poll now. Might want to link to the topic from the Wiki somewhere.
=Smidge=

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”