Baka-Tsuki Public Outreach Program!

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Baka-Tsuki Public Outreach Program!

Post by hobogunner »

Hmm, that would certainly work too, just try to make sure it's not too overwhelming, which is, as BeginnerXP said really annoying.

I just figure alternating pages like that would require a little too much work, and we all know we're all lazy. :lol:

Therefore, something short and simple that points people in our direction on every page would work too.

However, as I said in the P.M. (I really should P.M. Oni....I feel like I'm overstepping my power.) so long as it displays those X things, then it should be fine.....
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
carj
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by carj »

nah oni said pretty much the same thing as you, you only set the conclusion of what we agreed on

and no its not a lot of trouble, if im not wrong MS Word has an option to alternate the footer(and header) according to the pages, cant get into detail now since im going to bed and i dont think i will start doing PDFs soon, my dad is in the hospital, so if everything goes well ill start remaking the PDFs around wednesday~friday, could be earlier if my dad gets better sooner
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

carj wrote:nah oni said pretty much the same thing as you, you only set the conclusion of what we agreed on

and no its not a lot of trouble, if im not wrong MS Word has an option to alternate the footer(and header) according to the pages, cant get into detail now since im going to bed and i dont think i will start doing PDFs soon, my dad is in the hospital, so if everything goes well ill start remaking the PDFs around wednesday~friday, could be earlier if my dad gets better sooner
I didn't really understand what Oni said....for obvious reasons... :roll:

I believe that may be an option as well, I know I've seen it somewhere, so that certainly works.

I hope your dad gets better soon.

(I will be making a .doc on the whole .pdf rules now, I suppose? Waiting for BeginnerXP's agreement, before I do it.)
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

If a long watermark is wanted, why not be placed where it can't be actually read. Example would be the sides. When one begins to read, they tunnel vision. So as they read, they wouldn't actually stumble onto this.
1,550/3,400
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

Rajikai wrote:If a long watermark is wanted, why not be placed where it can't be actually read. Example would be the sides. When one begins to read, they tunnel vision. So as they read, they wouldn't actually stumble onto this.
The sides would be a bad place, as some devices have different screen sizes, etc, etc, basically, someone will complain about it.

The bottom is the most sensible spot, it's just what to write / how long do we want it to be?
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

Complain? That's hilarious. If they complain, all you do is tell them this.

"If your unhappy with how we do things, you can pick up a Japanese to English dictionary and do the translations yourself."

Not compatible? Everything is also compatible. Just people wish for it to be simpler.
1,550/3,400
BeginnerXP
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BeginnerXP »

hobogunner wrote:(I will be making a .doc on the whole .pdf rules now, I suppose? Waiting for BeginnerXP's agreement, before I do it.)
I'm really sorry to cause the delay because I didn't make myself clear at first. As I've said earlier in this thread, I'm against any kind of watermarking. So no matter how it looks, any text on content page is unacceptable for me.

I'm following this thread mainly to see if I should cease distributing my PDFs, and that seems to be the case. So please go ahead on making PDFs guidelines properly without worrying about me.

I made those PDFs mainly for my own reading comfort because I hate reading off PC monitor and Baka-Tsuki's available PDFs have too small text size for my 10" tablet screen. I prefer not to see those 'not for sale/rent/auction' message when I'm reading so I really cannot comply with this rule.

All the series I made PDFs have alternative version available, so without my version, readers still have other choices anyway.
- LiTTleDRAgo made PDFs for Sword Art Online & Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai
- carj made Fate/Zero, Kizumonogatari & Toaru Majutsu no Index
When The World God Only Knows is completed, someone is going to make PDF of it too.

I'm really sorry for all the trouble I have caused. And for carj, I hope your father gets well soon.

Regards,
BeginnerXP
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

Wow... I like this guy... I think we shouldn't add watermarks... According to what he said, It would be okay to place it on the title page. And isn't one enough?
1,550/3,400
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

BeginnerXP wrote:I'm really sorry to cause the delay because I didn't make myself clear at first. As I've said earlier in this thread, I'm against any kind of watermarking. So no matter how it looks, any text on content page is unacceptable for me.

I'm following this thread mainly to see if I should cease distributing my PDFs, and that seems to be the case. So please go ahead on making PDFs guidelines properly without worrying about me.
You certainly do not need to cease distributing your .pdfs so long as it shows somewhere in it that it is a free translation provided by Baka-Tsuki. That is the only thing I will ask you to do....just make sure somewhere it says that it's free and from us.

Along the lines of the watermark, I disagree with it as well, but I also make my own pdfs that I distribute between myself and friends, all of us knowing full well where it comes from. The watermark is mostly for those who distribute it into the vast internet, such that nobody can come up and sell it. (I like the short and sweet "B-T" footer on the bottom left with the page number in the middle or right (I don't know if you'd consider that a watermark))

Would it not be possible for you to export one .pdf for yourself and another with the watermark?

Feel free to continue this discussion by P.M. or on here.
Rajikai wrote:Wow... I like this guy... I think we shouldn't add watermarks... According to what he said, It would be okay to place it on the title page. And isn't one enough?
Getting rid of one page in something is a lot easier than editting out something on the bottom right.....I agree with it as well, but not for our distributions in the internet....everyone will take credit if they can.
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

It is true about that fact, but the fact that copy and paste also does exist. Will it be tougher? yes, but also doable. What to do... Images copy and paste would not work, but the fact that it's easy to remove one page proves effective. Making it into 1 page is also doable. Editing it on paint or another program to remove the logo is also doable. It is all doable, but the fact remains that it will be annoying to remove. A permanent watermark... I don't think that possible, unless it collides with the content. But that would be just annoying for the readers.
1,550/3,400
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

Rajikai wrote:It is true about that fact, but the fact that copy and paste also does exist. Will it be tougher? yes, but also doable. What to do... Images copy and paste would not work, but the fact that it's easy to remove one page proves effective. Making it into 1 page is also doable. Editing it on paint or another program to remove the logo is also doable. It is all doable, but the fact remains that it will be annoying to remove. A permanent watermark... I don't think that possible, unless it collides with the content. But that would be just annoying for the readers.
Again, this is for determent of people distributing anything from us illegally, i.e., selling it.

It will be impossible to stop it entirely, as I have state before, and all we can do is deter it.

I also have stated (not on here) that those people who make .pdfs should set up a password protecting them from editing, making it harder to do it. (They could still print them, but the marks will be there.) [Again, all we can do is deter]

I do not particularly see a very faded "B-T" in the corner as distracting while someone is reading, especially if the page number is beside it. This way it will never "Collide with the text" and is quite easy to ignore.

What you say is all "doable" is more effort than most people are willing to put forth.
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

Exactly. I was thinking about placing it near the number as well, as you gave me that idea when you earlier mentioned BT, but I was sure you already thought of that, and it would be pointless to bring it up. Knowing all the facts, were do you plan to place the other watermark? On the title page like I mentioned earlier, along with the page number and Bt?
1,550/3,400
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

The image will only go on pages we've added. The credits and title page.

Other than that it's clean entirely.

(Sorry, I suppose I should've included you in the P.M. train, if you ask anything more, I suppose I will forward you the P.M.)
lp113
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lp113 »

I think a credits page will suffice. It's up to the pdf maker. Your putting your work into this. As long as it's somewhere its fine.
Zephyrus
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Zephyrus »

Or maybe at the start/end of each chapter?
Something like:
-Free translation by baka-tsuki-
A disclaimer page at the start/end of the pdf might be okay as well.

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”