wiki PDF export

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

quantaxe
Astral Realm

wiki PDF export

Post by quantaxe »

As i understand baka-tsuki wiki is based on mediawiki, so is it very hard to add HTML2FPDF extension,
so that whoever wants, can export wiki pages to pdf file.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/HTML2FPDF_for_Mediawiki

I believe it would help many to have easy PDF export possibility.
thelastguardian
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: wiki PDF export

Post by thelastguardian »

BT had a similar extension installed, at one point; I have since disabled it for the following reasons-

1. PDF conversion is very cpu intensive. When web crawlers (search engines and individuals attempting to mirror the wiki) traverse through the wiki, they would often ignore robots.txt and ordered multiple conversions at the same time. The fact that BT's wiki pages are much longer than the usual wiki pages only serve to amplified this problem.
This overload the server and brings it down to its knee. Until outside agents stop this behavior, I have no choice but to disable it.
2. Having a pdf output sort of defeats the purpose of wiki, which is to allow anyone to make edition to the pages in question.
3. I don't want to make it seems that we are competing against books.
Anon
Astral Realm

Re: wiki PDF export

Post by Anon »

I wonder if this is a good time to mention that lately someone has been posting torrents of PDFs (plus novel illustrations) of Baka-Tsuki projects on BakaBT.

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”