Wiki Project Reorganization

Do you have a fully fleshed idea that you think Baka-Tsuki should adopt? Post it here.

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kadi
Yuki Elf
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Wiki Project Reorganization

Post by Kadi »

In my opinion, we have too many "true projects". There are more than 50 of them. If I say that the list of light novels in the sidebar spans 2.5 screens on my laptop, you should agree that it's too much, right? So I suggest we do something about them, just like we moved the abandoned projects from the list. In particular, I'm thinking about:
  • moving actual teasers back to the teaser section. This is inspired by the recent promotion of Asura Cryin, with 3 or 4 chapters translated, but no active translator in sight, apparently. Honestly, how did it even get promoted without a translator? I believe there are similar "projects" which should all be moved back in my opinion. Maybe the rules governing the promotion should be made harsher, like "1 chapter completed, completion of 1 Volume foreseeable; if it fails, it's back to teaser".
  • moving the finished projects to their own section in the sidebar. Maybe throw in the "caught up" projects like Index as well.
  • moving the inactive/dead projects / projects with no translator to their own section in the sidebar, or remove them and hide them in a category like the teaser projects. This keeps the section that's currently just called "light novels" fresh and interesting since there'll only be active projects with frequent updates left.

(this focuses only on the wiki/its sidebar and is independent from the forum/facebook reorganization, so I made a new thread for it)
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Re: Wiki Project Reorganization

Post by Rajikai »

Wasn't there already a topic about this called sidebar? But I'll play along

Current Sidebar:
Spoiler! :
Project Presentation
Recent changes
Alt. Languages
Pending Projects
Teaser Projects
Categories
Network
Original Light Novels
Light Novels
Visual Novels
Abandoned [Eng]
Google AdSense
Toolbox
New sidebar
Spoiler! :
Project Presentation
Recent changes
Alt. Languages
Pending Projects
Teaser Projects
Categories
>Network
>Original Light Novels
>Incomplete Light Novels
>Ongoing Light Novels
>Finished Light Novels
>Dropped Light Novels
>Visual Novels
>Google AdSense
>Toolbox
Just a suggestion
1,550/3,400
lp113
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lp113 »

Or making a separate page entirely that allows users to "peek" into each series and see what seems interesting without multiloading 14 pages. (http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... eries_List)
I didn't complete it yet but you get the idea
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

A separate page won't unclutter the sidebar for fast navigation/overview. The idea in and of itself is nice, though.
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

I think what he means is rather than unclutter the sidebar, we get rid of it, make the light novel tab a link instead, which leads to this page, whereas, all the projects could easily be found. Though it does remove the fact that we can't separate it into dropped and whatnot if this method was chosen.
1,550/3,400
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

The separate page is a good idea, however linking it from the sidebar would be awkward, especially since we're going to want to have it collapsible as well.
Kadi wrote:In my opinion, we have too many "true projects". There are more than 50 of them. If I say that the list of light novels in the sidebar spans 2.5 screens on my laptop, you should agree that it's too much, right? So I suggest we do something about them, just like we moved the abandoned projects from the list. In particular, I'm thinking about:
  • moving actual teasers back to the teaser section. This is inspired by the recent promotion of Asura Cryin, with 3 or 4 chapters translated, but no active translator in sight, apparently. Honestly, how did it even get promoted without a translator? I believe there are similar "projects" which should all be moved back in my opinion. Maybe the rules governing the promotion should be made harsher, like "1 chapter completed, completion of 1 Volume foreseeable; if it fails, it's back to teaser".
    • I entirely agree with that one. Maybe just wait until an entire volume is out, then let it loose. So long as a translator sticks with it.
  • moving the finished projects to their own section in the sidebar. Maybe throw in the "caught up" projects like Index as well.
    • The main problem with this is that some readers won't know which is which, and while simply clicking them all and scanning through is an option, it's slightly more inconvenient than scrolling down or 'ctrl+f'ing (Don't get me wrong, I agree with it, but we want everything to be on equal footing to an extent)
  • moving the inactive/dead projects / projects with no translator to their own section in the sidebar, or remove them and hide them in a category like the teaser projects. This keeps the section that's currently just called "light novels" fresh and interesting since there'll only be active projects with frequent updates left.
    • Agree 100%, have an actual "Stalled Projects" page with all of these listed, and to reactivate, email Oni or TLG. (Maybe even wait with a requirement such as 1 chapter complete before adding them to the LN list.)

(this focuses only on the wiki/its sidebar and is independent from the forum/facebook reorganization, so I made a new thread for it)
(Obviously my comments are the blue text underneath, I assume it was easier that way.)
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
lp113
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lp113 »

Well, you can keep the sidebar. Just saying this way people can actually look at series without opening all 30 series links in tabs to get the summary/picture. Tell me what you think and i'll finish the entire list.

Edit:
He's Raj's idea with mine.
Rajikai wrote:Wasn't there already a topic about this called sidebar? But I'll play along

New sidebar
Spoiler! :
Project Presentation
Recent changes
Alt. Languages
Pending Projects
Teaser Projects
Project List
Categories
>Network
>Original Light Novels
>Incomplete Light Novels
>Ongoing Light Novels
>Finished Light Novels
>Dropped Light Novels
>Visual Novels
>Google AdSense
>Toolbox
Just a suggestion
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

Absolutely, I see no problem with that whatsoever.

The judgement call is really checking whether Stalled projects should go under different categories, or if you should just list every project under it's letter.

However, since you are doing this list, you can decide, I'd prefer to keep active / completed together, and at the bottom list Stalled since the Stalled projects may very well get a page dedicated to themselves. (Just make 'Stalled' and list them, don't even worry about making a new alphabet system for them)

That is my view on the list, I certainly agree listing them in that way is a good idea.
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

I would assume that stalled would go in pending. For it is pending for the continuation lol... Also I think it should go like this...

Project List
Teaser Projects
Pending Projects

The reason why is because people tend to read from top to buttom. Which will give them a faster reaction towards it, thus making it faster(by a few milliseconds)
Teaser in the middle because it contains less important projects. Pending stays in the end, because it's (I assume it should be this way) project that have been stalled/are waiting approval
1,550/3,400
lp113
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lp113 »

hobogunner wrote:Absolutely, I see no problem with that whatsoever.

The judgement call is really checking whether Stalled projects should go under different categories, or if you should just list every project under it's letter.

However, since you are doing this list, you can decide, I'd prefer to keep active / completed together, and at the bottom list Stalled since the Stalled projects may very well get a page dedicated to themselves. (Just make 'Stalled' and list them, don't even worry about making a new alphabet system for them)

That is my view on the list, I certainly agree listing them in that way is a good idea.
Easy fix!!! I can just tag every single series. Recheck my draft.
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

Yeah, that will save users some time, also, don't forget that Accel World would be "Active" and change it back. :P

Please continue the discussion in the Project Page thread, in order to keep this one about it's original purpose.
lp113
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by lp113 »

Yeah sorry about that, just putting my 2cents that there should be a projects page in the next reorganization of sidebar.

Edit: can you move my page into the category of 'Drafts'
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

Just swinging by to say that without separating active and finished projects, the list isn't going to get much shorter, which was one of the goals of this suggestion/thread...

And I don't really see a problem with separating them. One can still ctrl-f or scroll-find projects. It also helps people who are only interested in finished or only in unfinished projects. And if you don't know whether the project you're looking for is finished, you can check once while the improved clarity stays forever. Also, having 2 shorter lists might be aesthetically more pleasing than one longcat. Well, the active-list would still be a monster of ~30 projects, I guess (yes, even after removing dead and finished projects)
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
Rajikai
Sailor Tsuki

Post by Rajikai »

Rajikai wrote:Wasn't there already a topic about this called sidebar? But I'll play along

New sidebar
Spoiler! :
Project Presentation
Recent changes
Alt. Languages
Project List
Teaser Projects
Pending Projects
Categories
>Network
>Original Light Novels
>Incomplete Light Novels
>Ongoing Light Novels
>Completed Light Novels
>Dropped Light Novels
>Visual Novels
>Google AdSense
>Toolbox
Just a suggestion
Here a quote from something I already said... Hope it is good ><
1,550/3,400
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

Where's the difference between incomplete and ongoing?
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』

Return to “Proposals and Suggestions”