Seitokai no Ichizon

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you wish to see this Novel Translated?

Yes
98%
Maybe
1%
No
1%

Total votes: 403

Doraneko
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Seitokai no Ichizon

Post by Doraneko »

pa3ck123 wrote:
Doraneko wrote:
「さっさと 自分の好きな話題に 持っていこう」 という心が まる見えだった。

I haven't been following Seizon and am not sure about the subjects. A literal (and obviously awkward) take of the line is somewhat like this: the narratee shows a clear desire that s/he can't wait to lead the discussion to the topic which s/he likes.

Of course you need to fit in the subject and rewrite it in normal English. :)
Thanks for the help ^_^
Could i express it as:
Spoiler! :
I want to circle and take the topic back to the one that i love.
btw, sorry for providing insufficient info. The topic at hand was that they were making fun of her when she diverted the topic to the original one thus escaping from the jeers. The narrator (a guy i think) supposedly loved the topic where they were making fun of her.
Sorry that I may be not clear enough. The desire to lead the discussion to somewhere else comes from the narratee (third person), not the narrator (first person).

Note the use of 心が丸見えだった (literally: the thought/desire was clearly visible). If it was the narrator's desire, there would be no need to see the thought/desire from outside. Put it in another way, as a narrator you wouldn't say your own thoughts were "clearly visible." You would just plainly spell them out. :)

The closest translation based on your attempt is probably "she is eager to circle and take the topic back to the one that she loves."
Last edited by Doraneko on Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
pa3ck123
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by pa3ck123 »

Doraneko wrote:
Sorry that I may be not clear enough. The desire to lead the discussion to somewhere else comes from the narratee (third person), not the narrator (first person).

Note the use of 心が丸見えだった (literally: the thought/desire was clearly visible). If it was the narrator's desire, there would be no need to see the thought/desire from outside. Put it in another way, as a narrator you wouldn't say your own thoughts were "clearly visible." You would just plainly spell them out. :)

The closest translation based on your attempt is probably "she wants to circle and take the topic back to the one that she loves."
Aah! :oops: should've thought of that one. I can't understand the last part of the sentence with the まる hence the confusion. Thanks a bunch! ^_^
Image Napolitan Rush!!!
Ryu
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Ryu »

I believe that 'maru' doesn't have anything to do with circles. More like an adverb? I would TL it something like,

"It's completely obvious that she's trying to steer the conversation back to something that she likes."
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

pa3ck123 wrote:Aah! :oops: should've thought of that one. I can't understand the last part of the sentence with the まる hence the confusion. Thanks a bunch! ^_^
pack, as Doraneko explained, 丸見え is a noun that literally means "completely visible"=>"everything is exposed"
and I think Ryu's translation is totally accurate; since it appears to me that Ken is looking at Kurimu with Ken in narration mode.
pa3ck123
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by pa3ck123 »

thanks for the helps ^_^ as you might already know based on my "proficient" level of Japanese (yes, i am being very sarcastic), I'm a beginner in the language. XD so any help is way better than none XD ergo, expect me asking a bit more in here. Either that or good luck to editors/proofreaders :mrgreen:
Image Napolitan Rush!!!
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

I think we need more threads on the grammar of the japanese language....
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Poke2201 wrote:I think we need more threads on the grammar of the japanese language....
Lingua Franca should be enough, I think.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
pa3ck123
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by pa3ck123 »

Poke2201 wrote:I think we need more threads on the grammar of the japanese language....
that would most probably help a lot :)
Image Napolitan Rush!!!
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

kira0802 wrote:
Lingua Franca should be enough, I think.
I meant stickies.
onizuka-gto wrote:Big Boss was playing with the cosmic forces and forgot to switch the blog database back on.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

You could create those if you need them ;)
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

I know I can, but Id rather have someone knowledgeable in japanese grammar to do it. Ill do it later.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

you mean like resources? or what? :?:
Poke2201
Project Translator

Post by Poke2201 »

Yes resources. I would think it would be nice if we had a sticky on grammar and tenses.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

ok, I can try to make a list of grammar subjects from memory later(how later? *shrug*; hopefully someone ninjas me). as to online resources, I'm not too sure of much except for a few sparse ones. regarding tenses, specifically there is only past tense. even though there are equivalents for continuous/perfect tense, we call that something else I think. I'm not lingo terminology expert.
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

I just think it is kind of impractical for us to make a thread just for the sake of listing out grammar rules and sentence forms. FYI the Japanese Grammar Dictionary on my shelf has 891 pages. You may spend like one year working full-time just to update that thread, but the output will still be inferior to those already available online or in the market.

That is why having a thread dedicated to learning resources and online grammar dictionaries is probably already enough. People who worked on those sites are mostly teachers or professionals. In most cases they can explain grammar concepts better than us amateurs.

Btw probably I have already mentioned somewhere else, but this site is my favourite in regard to online Japanese learning - grammar in particular.

日本語駆け込み寺
http://www.nihongo2.com
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr

Return to “English”