Madan no Ou to Vanadis

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

How did you find reading Madan no Ou to Vanadis?

It was good! Please do more!
99%
It was interesting.
1%
Not as good as I thought.
0%
Boring. Not touching it again.
No votes

Total votes: 1577

azndude550
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Madan no Ou to Vanadis

Post by azndude550 »

Yeah, I just checked right now and their is 1 volume(ongoing) atm. Though there's no group translating it atm either.
Midchuria
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Midchuria »

Code-Zero wrote:It seems like volume 5 is the end of the first story arc. So looks like volume 5 would be big.
But the usual illustrator for this series only did the cover, and the remaining illustrations were done by the manga illustrator of this series.
I didn't know that was real; I thought someone was pulling my leg when they told me the illustrations for the novel were done by the manga artist. I prefer Yoshi☆wo's, but ah well.

And I really love how, in this series, everything is closely knit together. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction (though some are rather disproportionate, like the intended razing of Alsace in Vol. 1), indeed.

So far, my favorites are totally Eleonora and Ludmira.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else read this author's other work (among others), 千の魔剣と盾の乙女 (Thousand to Aegis)? I'm thinking of buying the whole up-to-date series (plus the latest volume, 8, will be out next month) but I've only read a few pages of Volume 1 Ch 1, and I'm curious if anyone else has given this series a shot.
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

Teaser, for the first page 'prologue' before the first chapter.
Spoiler! :
The tip of the longsword was thrust forward.

The one bearing the sword, was a beautiful girl. With silver-colored hair that stretched all the way to her waist, she looked down at the youth from the top of her horse.

"Throw aside your bow."

The youth obediently complied, placing the bow that he had held in his hands on the ground.

He did not feel like resisting. He had run out of arrows.

In their surroundings were countless corpses lying on the ground. Broken swords, spears that protruded the ground like capture points, and the wind that carried with it the thick smell of blood.

"I am Eleonora Viltaria. And you are?"

As if blowing away the smell of blood, the girl's refreshing voice.

She was dignified, and despite that she possessed a radiance in those curious, crimson eyes.

The youth answered her question, mesmerized.

"...... Tigrevrumud Vorun."

After asking several questions of him, she sheathed her sword in the scabbard at her waist, satisfied.

And then, to the youth, she smiled sweetly.

"From now onwards, you belong to me."
DoomCalibur
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by DoomCalibur »

Thank A Lot for your teaser florza!!
Men cant wait for a whole translation project :D :D :D :D
Midchuria
Vice Commander Itsuki

Post by Midchuria »

Tigre's name is going to be very, very confusing. Aside from that, nice job on the teaser.

On a sidenote, I didn't realize until now just how oddly poetic (and coincidental) the events in Volume 1 were; specifically, what happened to Tenaldeie's son Zeian. Funny how karma comes to bite them in the butt especially after their attempt on Regnus.

Does anyone else find the illustrations in Volume 5 a bit jarring? Not that I place a huge value on illustrations, it's just that after four volumes of Yoshiwo's stuff it definitely came as a surprise.
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

ティグル = Tigre?
Didn't know that.
Is there a list of official terminology anywhere for this?
Midchuria
Vice Commander Itsuki

Post by Midchuria »

florza wrote:ティグル = Tigre?

Is there a list of terminology anywhere for this?
There have been no official romaji names for them; only for the territories. That's one of the biggest obstacles facing whoever is going to translate the series. They have their own terms for measurements, for their gods, their Vanadis weapons, their skills and their territories. Only the names of territories have romaji so far.

For the names, seeing as it's inspired by a Slavic folklore, I suppose you could look up names that sound close to 12th century Slavic, European, Russian or even Latin. As for why it's Tigle/Tigre, the reasoning is based from zephyr off jcafe:
Spoiler! :
Nickname : ティグル - Tigle
Full Name : ティグルヴルムド ヴォルン - ... It sounds something like Tiglevrmud Vollen... (or Wollen with W pronounced as V...)
Last edited by florza on Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: oops, clicked edit instead of quote
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

I actually thought it was Briune instead of Brune.

Still a fair amount of time before Campione! gets caught up anyway, so I'll just put this aside for now.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

A little more and you could start it at least as a teaser project ;)
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

The summaries were indeed interesting to raise my interest. :mrgreen:
wilhelmson
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by wilhelmson »

florza wrote:Teaser, for the first page 'prologue' before the first chapter.
Spoiler! :
The tip of the longsword was thrust forward.

The one bearing the sword, was a beautiful girl. With silver-colored hair that stretched all the way to her waist, she looked down at the youth from the top of her horse.

"Throw aside your bow."

The youth obediently complied, placing the bow that he had held in his hands on the ground.

He did not feel like resisting. He had run out of arrows.

In their surroundings were countless corpses lying on the ground. Broken swords, spears that protruded the ground like capture points, and the wind that carried with it the thick smell of blood.

"I am Eleonora Viltaria. And you are?"

As if blowing away the smell of blood, the girl's refreshing voice.

She was dignified, and despite that she possessed a radiance in those curious, crimson eyes.

The youth answered her question, mesmerized.

"...... Tigrevrumud Vorun."

After asking several questions of him, she sheathed her sword in the scabbard at her waist, satisfied.

And then, to the youth, she smiled sweetly.

"From now onwards, you belong to me."
Go Florza! And what a moment to pick for the teaser!
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

I'm busy with Campione, and much more so since V13 was just released. Perhaps some other translator's interest might be piqued.
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

florza wrote:I'm busy with Campione, and much more so since V13 was just released. Perhaps some other translator's interest might be piqued.
Well..we will have to suffice with summaries only for now :)
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

Midchuria wrote:
florza wrote:ティグル = Tigre?

Is there a list of terminology anywhere for this?
There have been no official romaji names for them; only for the territories. That's one of the biggest obstacles facing whoever is going to translate the series. They have their own terms for measurements, for their gods, their Vanadis weapons, their skills and their territories. Only the names of territories have romaji so far.

For the names, seeing as it's inspired by a Slavic folklore, I suppose you could look up names that sound close to 12th century Slavic, European, Russian or even Latin. As for why it's Tigle/Tigre, the reasoning is based from zephyr off jcafe:
Spoiler! :
Nickname : ティグル - Tigle
Full Name : ティグルヴルムド ヴォルン - ... It sounds something like Tiglevrmud Vollen... (or Wollen with W pronounced as V...)
I wouldn't take his name translations as perfectly accurate, considering he got Eleonora, Ludmilla, Sofiya (Well at least he put it as Sophiya, not too off I guess) and Elizaveta wrong.

I'm almost certain ティグル is not Tigre/Tigle.

Honestly though, there's going to be a lot of research needed.

Edit: Author has also stated he has never translated foreign languages into Japanese. Plus, he did not mention the MC's name being from the text - It's highly likely he simply made it up, and it's not based from Slavic. Also, the surname is probably 'Volen', that's Bulgarian, which is a Slavic language I guess.
Midchuria
Vice Commander Itsuki

Post by Midchuria »

True enough. Though it's still true that the story was inspired from 12 century Slavic folklore so that could be a start, hence my suggestion of using names that sound close to 12th century Slavic, European, Russian or even Latin to achieve a certain degree of authenticity. Name dictionaries with etymology might be useful (リュドミラ alone is a doozy).

Since Tiger's name is an original, that's probably going to be the most confusing one. The Vanadis, not so much.

I don't know if this'll help much, but this is from another work by Kawaguchi Tsukasa, 千の魔剣と盾の乙女 (Thousand to Aegis). This is how he goes with using foreign names for his original characters. Since only the lead's name in Vanadis is original, hopefully this might help.

Those are just names as a start. There's still their titles, the measurements, abilities, deities...these ones are going to be more confusing.

All just suggestions though.

Return to “English”