Rakudai Kishi no Chivalry

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

mewmew001
Astral Realm

Re: Rakudai Kishi no Chivalry

Post by mewmew001 »

Well, I was bored and decided to create an epub version (based of the translations) for the

First volume https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/275 ... e%201.epub
Second volume https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/275 ... e%202.epub

Will be doing the later volumes in the next week and do tell me if anything's wrong with the epub file. Enjoy :)
bern
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by bern »

They're did it?

KLSymph's edit: Warning, this is a spoiler for volume 9.
Spoiler! :
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

KLSymph's review of the Rakudai Kishi anime (episode 11)

What are you animators even doing? If you want to use that vintage film scratch effect and the monochrome gray in the scenes where Ikki is under investigation in order to emphasize the feel of isolation and despair, hey I'm all for a bit of fancy cinematography to create contrast, but you applied that same effect to almost the entire rest of the episode, including the school scenes that don't involve Ikki and even Stella's flashback. That completely breaks the sense of isolation/despair for me, since none of the other characters are supposed to be in Ikki's particular emotional state. It also makes most of the second half of the episode look terrible. Have you heard of restraint?

As for the revelation about Itsuki and Ikki's relationship... well, the basic components are there, but it doesn't quite have the same feel, mostly because Itsuki's exposition on his own views was cut from the anime. In the novel, Itsuki came off as heartless because he had his own sense of ethics that were more important than family relationships (in contrast with Ikki who really wanted to have the family relationships), because Itsuki explained some of that ethics, about how his actions make the public more safe or whatever. In the anime, Itsuki came off as heartless because... nothing. Because he wants his job to be easier, at best. In the novel it was much easier for me to believe that Itsuki really did acknowledge Ikki as his son (for example, he actually went to meet Ikki on his own, although I can also see that as an intentional attempt to rattle Ikki and the fact that both reasons could be true at the same time is itself interesting) and sincerely didn't understand why Ikki was sad because their mindsets are so different. He seems like he has his own agenda which leaves him a poor father, and this gives him a bit of character depth. In the anime that complexity doesn't have enough time or detail to come together, even though they use the same dialogue, and all the black-and-red art and melodramatic music thrown in there doesn't cover up the lack of substance.

Well, next is the last episode of the season. The climax is in Ikki's mentality turning away despair at having no one holding expectations for him, which is already a step behind because that idea was only introduced in this episode, which means there really wasn't enough time to set it up properly. Really the anime should've made regular subtle references to this concept from the beginning of the season, but oh well too late. For what it's worth, the anime probably can't ruin this climax any worse than the light novel did, but I do look forward to seeing it try.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

Volume four complete.

lifeman120
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Highschool DxD
Rakudai Kishi no Eiyuutan

Post by lifeman120 »

congratz boy. back into a well deserved deep slumber you go. :wink:
Image guy, Cleaning/Typesetting Progress

Seems to have a White hair fetish, but will (almost) always support the main Heroine.
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

*looks up from translating the Shizuku-versus-Touka manga chapter that was delayed by volume four's daily updates*

Ha ha ha, sleep. That does sound good.
ID not in use
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ID not in use »

This is from Vol 1 chapter 1:

"We've really treating them like children, huh? They're a bigger deal than expected."

Didn't want to change it since I wasn't sure which way to go with it.

We're really treating them like children
We've really been treating them like children
We've really treated them like children
Hamberz19
Edit-Translator [101-AETB]
Favourite Light Novel: High-school DXD!

Post by Hamberz19 »

Thanks again KLSymph for translating one more volume.

You are awesome. I can't believe yet that we had daily updates.
Janime6
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Janime6 »

ID not in use wrote:This is from Vol 1 chapter 1:

"We've really treating them like children, huh? They're a bigger deal than expected."

Didn't want to change it since I wasn't sure which way to go with it.

We're really treating them like children
We've really been treating them like children
We've really treated them like children
That's from volume 4, not 1

Also, the line is それが完全に子供扱いかぁ。
I don't see anything indicating that it's past tense, but I've only just finished my second Japanese class so I'd wait for a better confirmation lol
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

I've added the "been" to that line.
Jaime6 wrote:Also, the line is それが完全に子供扱いかぁ。
I don't see anything indicating that it's past tense [...]
Forget about tense, there's no verb in that sentence. Welcome to translation.
bern
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by bern »

KLSymph wrote:Volume four complete.
Thank you for the translation.
Agustiin92
Astral Realm

Post by Agustiin92 »

thank you very much for the translation and for your hard work
KLSymph
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KLSymph »

Hamberz19 wrote:You are awesome. I can't believe yet that we had daily updates.
It was a lot of trouble maintaining that kind of consistency, especially through the holiday. Thanksgiving's demands to attend family parties left me with such short blocks of continuous time that all the translation work I could do for half a week was OCR. And truly it is a dilemma deciding whether my family's parties or light novel OCR is more tedious.

Trivia: despite my plea to the god of daily updates at the beginning of November not to let me have an aneurysm, that very day Libreoffice Writer crashed and ate three pages, making me spend another half-hour translating them again right before bed. Go ahead and imagine the arggggghhh noise I made.

But happily, I managed to post the entire volume. Thanks to everyone for your support! Let us all now bask in the knowledge that posting a complete chapter-part every day for forty-three days is not enough to get us on the Regularly Updated list in the wiki sidebar. :D
Jajanken
Astral Realm

Post by Jajanken »

Outrageous that you managed to do daily updates. Thanks for all your hard work!

Are you thinking of translating vol 5 or will you be taking a deserved break?
Hamberz19
Edit-Translator [101-AETB]
Favourite Light Novel: High-school DXD!

Post by Hamberz19 »

KLSymph wrote:
Hamberz19 wrote:You are awesome. I can't believe yet that we had daily updates.
It was a lot of trouble maintaining that kind of consistency, especially through the holiday. Thanksgiving's demands to attend family parties left me with such short blocks of continuous time that all the translation work I could do for half a week was OCR. And truly it is a dilemma deciding whether my family's parties or light novel OCR is more tedious.

Trivia: despite my plea to the god of daily updates at the beginning of November not to let me have an aneurysm, that very day Libreoffice Writer crashed and ate three pages, making me spend another half-hour translating them again right before bed. Go ahead and imagine the arggggghhh noise I made.

But happily, I managed to post the entire volume. Thanks to everyone for your support! Let us all now bask in the knowledge that posting a complete chapter-part every day for forty-three days is not enough to get us on the Regularly Updated list in the wiki sidebar. :D
But even though this was faster than I expected. Thanks again for your hard work translating volume four. :D now have a good rest :)

Return to “English”