Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

Para lamang ito sa diskusyon...oh right, English.
This is for English discussions, visit the Archive to see old stuff

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Do you wish to see this Novel (series) Translated?

Yes
100%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
0%
No (Please give a reason)
0%

Total votes: 447

vermiliongrey
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

Post by vermiliongrey »

Anyways, it seems like the conversation has gotten completely off topic. I said I wanted to avoid drama and it seems I got the exact opposite. Here's the deal guys:
  • -We're going to continue working on MMY at our pace, in whichever fashion we want and weI'll release when we decide to ( unless the mia Astrea has any objections) because guess what guys? Kinda doing this for free, you're welcomed.

-We will format the wiki page however we want as long as its within the rules because once again, our project.

-if you don't like the way we decided to work on this project then you're free to translate MMY in the style you see fit. There's literally nothing stopping you.
Not to sound like an arrogant prick, but if you really have a problem with how our project is run, just start your own. I can't stop you.
Last edited by vermiliongrey on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
florza
Shamisen Wordsmith

Post by florza »

Just to interject:

No offense, but BT has a wiki format so people can edit grammar mistakes like those you've no shortage of.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

Can't you just link your site and give the readers the choice of which page to look at?

Also, if Astrea herself can confirm, that'd be nice~
vermiliongrey wrote: Kinda doing this for free, you're welcomed.
Well damn, you got us there.
Even eternity can be encased in ice.
vermiliongrey
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by vermiliongrey »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:Can't you just link your site and give the readers the choice of which page to look at?

Also, if Astrea herself can confirm, that'd be nice~
vermiliongrey wrote: Kinda doing this for free, you're welcomed.
Well damn, you got us there.
I think there may be some confusion caused by people who weren't familiar with the situation.

What you said was exactly the case, there was two links per chapter with a clear explanation for both.

And yes, you can't beat free 8)
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

I was being sarcastic, since all of us are doing this for free, but whatever works I guess : )
vermiliongrey
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by vermiliongrey »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:I was being sarcastic, since all of us are doing this for free, but whatever works I guess : )
I guess I should thank you too then, and yes, you're still welcomed 8)
Last edited by vermiliongrey on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YoakeNoHikari
Project Translator

Post by YoakeNoHikari »

I'll speak for myself then.

I didn't thank you.
vermiliongrey
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by vermiliongrey »

YoakeNoHikari wrote:I'll speak for myself then.

I didn't thank you.
Quite mean.
Last edited by vermiliongrey on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

vermiliongrey:
I thought I was quite clear, but let me summarize.

1) You have yet to demonstrate the legitimacy of your claim to the project other than one-sided reports of your collaboration with Astrea.
2) Your assertions of superiority in quality and reading experience are not as absolute as you might think.

Your actions are being questioned by the community because you imposed your subjective ideals on a project without establishing prior credibility.

It is only basic courtesy If you entered a dialogue with the community first to seek out the position of Project Supervisor before making controversial changes.

But even if you were the Project Supervisor, it is not common practice for projects on Baka-Tsuki to offer additional links for every chapter to an external host. Hence, back to the original point made in previous posts, if you want to do things your way, do it on your own site but Baka-Tsuki is not obliged to link to you.
vermiliongrey
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by vermiliongrey »

I'm ending my train ride soon so I won't be able to check back as often. Hopefully this will be the last post to this incident.

You mentioned GDocs earlier, so I assume you already saw Ch3 that was uploaded? If you still want further proof, we can get a mod to arbitrate, I'll gladly prove my credentials. Just PM or email me.

It's true everybody has different opinions and the one that should be followed is obviously the ones grounded in the most reason. I accept that you disagree with me, but you've yet to provide me with a reason for how your position increases the quality of the page.

Hosting outgoing links is a common practice on BT, just take a look at the Durarara page or the Sayanara Piano page.

Finally ZZHK, don't forget that I am just as much a member of BT as you. We may have different opinions on how to contribute, but that doesn't make either of our statements superior. The only difference in this specific case is that we our group is actually contributing to this project and we have the most stake in it, therefore respect our reasons, even if you don't agree with them, because that's also common courtesy.
Last edited by vermiliongrey on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
vermiliongrey
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by vermiliongrey »

As an addendum, as the only group working on the project and in the absence of an supervisor, it's our job to curate and maintain the wiki page because the responsibilities of a project goes beyond just translating.
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

Okay then. Whatever the conclusion now, I'm pretty sure now you are going to make a wiki account to prevent this kind of incident happening again, vermilion.

And just to clarify, the one who called you a f*g is not Akuma, it's Dung. For some reason, he didn't sign his post (don't know most probably).
zzhk wrote:It is only basic courtesy If you entered a dialogue with the community first to seek out the position of Project Supervisor before making controversial changes.
By the way, the supervisor is Ping? If that's the case, then let him decide (he hadn't post even once in this thread though).
zzhk wrote:But even if you were the Project Supervisor, it is not common practice for projects on Baka-Tsuki to offer additional links for every chapter to an external host. Hence, back to the original point made in previous posts, if you want to do things your way, do it on your own site but Baka-Tsuki is not obliged to link to you.
vermiliongrey wrote:Hosting outgoing links is a common practice on BT, just take a look at the Durarara page or the Sayanara Piano page.
I have to agree with vermilion on this.

And the chapter 3 seems enough proof for me.

Removing the links to the web version is not a necessary action however. At the very most, just put it under an 'archive' tag or something.
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

vermiliongrey, you seem to be confused.

This discussion began with you asking why your changes to the page were not accepted.

I am trying to explain to you how your actions are perceived to anyone looking at evidence on the wiki:
Someone making changes without even bothering to register an account.

You can have all the "context" you want but the other users on the wiki are not mind readers.
If you do not make your intentions known beforehand and try to explain after the fact, you simply look like you are making excuses.

You keep making two fundamental assumptions that are not evident to others:
1) Your involvement with the project. So far, all we have is your word that you are working with Astrea.
2) Your changes give an unequivocally "superior reading experience."

Since you are the one making changes, the burden of proof lies on you to convince others.

Arczyx, having two examples out of all the other projects does not make external links "common practice." Besides, the two examples have links to completed volumes; I was pointing out that vermiliongrey had put in links for individual chapters. If vermiliongrey subscribes to his own philosophy that having incomplete volumes is a "disfavour" to the reader, then he is free to provide a link once he completes a volume. Otherwise, how is having 3 chapters on his own site consistent with his assertions of a "superior reading experience"?

Personally, I could care less about this project (especially a novel that believes it is necessary to explain to the reader what a potato is). I am simply articulating reasons why certain people would not accept changes made by an unregistered user on the wiki. If vermiliongrey truly believes that his assumptions are self-evident, and that the work of all other translators who release anything less than a volume at a time can be dismissed as "kinda pointless," I have nothing more to say.
arczyx
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by arczyx »

zzhk wrote: having two examples out of all the other projects does not make external links "common practice." Besides, the two examples have links to completed volumes; I was pointing out that vermiliongrey had put in links for individual chapters.
You haven't seen this, have you? Besides, even if it's not a common practice, I don't see any harm in it, just a matter of preferences.
zzhk wrote:If vermiliongrey subscribes to his own philosophy that having incomplete volumes is a "disfavour" to the reader, then he is free to provide a link once he completes a volume. Otherwise, how is having 3 chapters on his own site consistent with his assertions of a "superior reading experience"?
Well, it's his problem.
zzhk wrote:I am simply articulating reasons why certain people would not accept changes made by an unregistered user on the wiki. If vermiliongrey truly believes that his assumptions are self-evident
I believe he learned his lesson now.
zzhk wrote:and that the work of all other translators who release anything less than a volume at a time can be dismissed as "kinda pointless," I have nothing more to say.
It's his preferences. Frankly, I don't care about it as long he doesn't influence other translators to do the same :mrgreen:
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Re: Maoyuu Maou Yuusha: General

Post by Teh_ping »

...I go away for three days and got summoned back because of this...

It is all a matter of accountability here... will elaborate further and give further instructions later...

EDIT: Okay, as supervisor, I do have some blame for not semi-protecting the page from anonymous edits in the first place. Now, having said that, translators are to either register on the registration page or notify me of what they want to do. You can link the pages to an external translation like how we granted permission for Canonrap, ZGMF-X09A/CE and NanoDesu's translations to be linked to their own blogs because they didn't want any edits in the first place (which can be prevented if the pages are locked such that only admins can edit them...), so that's a mistaken assumption on your part, zzhk.

Vermillion, all this could have been prevented if you at least asked. If you tell me that yes, there is a fansub group working on it, fine, just drop a note to me. (I wonder who was the one who deleted my name from the supervisor list...). Basically, I agreed to become the supervisor when Kira PMed me a year ago. Gone for 3 days, and this happens... Honestly, if I hadn't known any better, I would be thinking that you are saying that you can do whatever you want with the wiki because you guys contributed the most, but just to make this clear. You need to do the above mentioned instructions because in Rome, do what the Romans do (Though I am lazy to do my own registrations for my chapters...). If you find that you need to take control of everything, BT isn't the place to upload the stuff, tbh, unless you want us to put a full-lock on every single chapter. Btw, if there is no supervisor listed, the default supervisor will be Oni, so you can't say there isn't any supervisor.

Honestly, this is a huge weakness of BT as a wiki because of easy editing. OT, guys, tell me which other project pages need locks. I can't check everything at this point.

Return to “English”