Papa no Iukoto o Kikinasai!: Format & Style

Guideline Topics for specific Novels can be found here

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Papa no Iukoto o Kikinasai!: Format & Style

Post by larethian »

Due to the fact that this project has more than 1 active translator, this thread is created mainly for staff (Translators & Editors) to discuss format/style guidelines so that the project can improve in quality and consistency. The last boss, I mean, arbitrator, will be the Supervisor, Onizuka-gto, in deciding on the final implementation. Though this thread is mainly made for staff, or even translators and experienced dedicated editors of other projects, constructive feedback from others is welcome. However, useless, irrelevant posts will be deleted without warning.

Accepted/Arbitrated format/style rules will be updated by staff of this project in the OP of this thread. If it grows big, a separate wiki page will be created.

Specific Format/Style Guidelines
Zephyrus
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Papa no Iukoto o Kikinasai! Specific Format/Style Guidel

Post by Zephyrus »

The only problem that I had with the terms is the shortened name of the club (Road Observation Research Society).
I used Roary for that, but that seems kind of odd =/
Any other suggestions?
Kadi
Yuki Elf
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Kadi »

ROR-Brigade?

(Sorry for not helping but I think it's hilarious. Can't. Stop. Laughing.)
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

....and so Kadi implants something in Hocchan's mind that will make him burst out laughing forever.

Are you looking for something simple like it's initials where you could just use "RORS" or something like "RObRS". (Sounds like robbers, I'm trying to beat Kadi...not working. :roll: )

I can't think of anything other than initials or something like "RObRS". There aren't too many things you can get from those words put together.

Edit: The only thing I could come up with after lining them up like this:
Spoiler! :
  • Road
    Observation
    Research
    Society
Is "RObseReSo". Which is almost just as painful to type out as the full name.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
Kadi
Yuki Elf
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Kadi »

Replace Road with Street and you can use StORS/Stors... although I have no idea what that means. Does it have a specific meaning in Japanese?
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
sleepy920
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by sleepy920 »

Kadi wrote:Replace Road with Street and you can use StORS/Stors... although I have no idea what that means. Does it have a specific meaning in Japanese?
If "road" is going to be replace with "street" wouldn't it be best to shorten it to "SOS"?
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

No. All the suggestions will not work.

It's not just an abbreviation that is needed. It's an abbreviation that can fulfill two meanings as much as possible.
1. 「路上観察研究会」、略して「ロ研」
2. 「ロリコン研究会」、略して「ロ研」
hobogunner
Administrator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by hobogunner »

Road Observation Research Society.
Lolicon Research Society.

Yeah, I got nothing, they don't share enough like they do in the Japanese pronunciation, even thinking of all the synonyms I know for Road.

Unless you just want to make it "RS" along the lines of 'Research Societies' referring to both of them.
Maybe this is just too fast, too real -Stay Close, Parabelle
Snails see the benefits, the beauty in every inch -Snails, The Format
You thought you could find happiness just over that green hill; you thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still
-Learn To Be Still, The Eagles
tomys
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by tomys »

Research Investigations?

the [rori] sub for the anime uses "Institute"
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

The anime subs and manga subs don't read the novel and the word has not come up yet in both. Anyway, it's not a pressing thing nor a big deal. We can use translation notes anyway. There are also other things to fix or standardize, but right now, I'm too busy to make this a priority. May post more in future.
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

larethian wrote:The anime subs and manga subs don't read the novel and the word has not come up yet in both. Anyway, it's not a pressing thing nor a big deal. We can use translation notes anyway. There are also other things to fix or standardize, but right now, I'm too busy to make this a priority. May post more in future.
The idea of using "Institute" is that the short name for "Road Observation Research Institute" becomes 'RORI", allowing the keep the pun. Not exactly the most naturally flowing joke, but better than nothing.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Guest wrote:
larethian wrote:The anime subs and manga subs don't read the novel and the word has not come up yet in both. Anyway, it's not a pressing thing nor a big deal. We can use translation notes anyway. There are also other things to fix or standardize, but right now, I'm too busy to make this a priority. May post more in future.
The idea of using "Institute" is that the short name for "Road Observation Research Institute" becomes 'RORI", allowing the keep the pun. Not exactly the most naturally flowing joke, but better than nothing.
Excellent! Sorry I didn't see your post until now. So that was their original intention? And I didn't realize that nor really pay any heed to them, because I tend to watch Papakiki on either NicoNico or Himado within an hour of airing.
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

Guest wrote:
I like this idea, lets go with it. "RORI" hahaha subliminal message~ :D If we're all in favour then I could make the changes as soon as possible.

Edit: Yeah we should probably wait until we have at least 3 volumes fully translated before creating a project specific guidelines page. I wanted to make a note somewhere on the project page that we're using British English to avoid edit wars in the future.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

If there are no specific reasons to use British spellings, we should use American spellings in line with General guidelines.
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

larethian wrote:If there are no specific reasons to use British spellings, we should use American spellings in line with General guidelines.
Okay then I'll change them as I see it in the future chapters to American English. Although I usually go with the translator's preference.

Also the changes for Road Observation Research Institute, would it be alright to change them now? Or should we wait a little while longer for more people to give their consent?

The proposed changes:

Road Observation Research Society -> Road Observation Research Institute (RORI for short)

Edit: Can I also get the names of the various chapters for each volume as soon as possible so I can start creating the links. To save trouble for the future.

Just checking but every volume of Papa no Iukoto has the same order for each volume correct? Like this:

::*Prologue
::*Chapter 1
::*Chapter 2
::*Chapter 3
::*Chapter 4
::*Chapter 5
::*Chapter 6
::*Epilogue
::*Afterword

Return to “Novel Series Guidelines”