Teh Ping Talk:Projected Translations' Timeline
Bolded are the ones I've contributed fully.
- 1 2009
- 2 2010
- 3 2011
- 4 2012
- 5 2013
- 6 2014
- 7 2015
- 8 Fan-interested series
- 9 Comments to go under here
- Joined Baka-Tsuki as translator on 9th September 2009.
- Shakugan no Shana Volume 7, completed on 25th January 2010.
- Shakugan no Shana was suspended from Baka-Tsuki on 27th January 2010.
- Joined Baka Test translation group on 13th August 2010.
- Baka Test Volume 2 completed on 8th December 2010.
- Started Infinite Stratos project on 1st February 2011.
- Baka Test Volume 3 completed on 4th March 2011.
- Shana project reinstated on 10th March 2011.
- Infinite Stratos Volume 1 completed on 23th May 2011.
- Baka Test Volume 3.5 completed on 29th May 2011.
- Infinite Stratos Volume 2 completed on 28th July 2011.
- Shakugan no Shana Volume 8 completed on 20th August 2011
- Infinite Stratos Volume 3 completed on 16th September 2011
- Infinite Stratos Volume 4 completed on 20th September 2011 (With help from Kira0802)
- Baka Test Volume 7 completed on 26th September 2011
- Infinite Stratos Volume 5, completed on 4th October 2011.
- Infinite Stratos Volume 7, completed on 10th October 2011.
- Infinite Stratos BD SS, completed on 18th October 2011.
- Baka Test Volume 7.5, Minami's backstory, completed on 24th October 2011.
- Baka Test Volume 6.5, Yuuji and Shouko's backstory, completed on 27th October 2011.
- Shakugan no Shana Volume 16, completed on 15th November 2011.
- Baka Test Volume 7.5, drunk girls and strip poker story, completed on 17th November 2011.
- Baka Test Volume 7.5, talkative summons story, completed on 19th November 2011.
- Baka Test Volume 7.5, completed on 23th November 2011.
- Haganai Volume 1 Past, completed on 24th November 2011.
- Holiday in Hong Kong from 5th to 12th December 2011.
- Shakugan no Shana Volume 22 Chapter 1, completed on 16th December 2011.
- Haganai Volume 5 Chapter 3 completed on 25th December 2011.
- SAO volume 6 completed on 30th December 2011
- SAO volume 2 completed on 31th December 2011 (Okay, there were about 20 pages left, so it wasn't much.)
- TWGOK Volume 1 parts 2-4 completed on 13th January 2012.
- Baka Test Volume 8 completed on 20th January 2012.
- Shakugan no Shana Volume 22, completed on 27th January 2012. (except for chapter 2, which is being done by Cosmic Eagle)
- TWGOK Volume 2 completed on 14th February 2012.
- DenYuuDen Volume 1 to be completed by 26 February 2012.
- Sword Art Online Volume 5 completed on 4th March 2012
- Gundam Unicorn completed on 9th March 2012.
- Sword Art Online Volume 7 completed on 2nd April 2012. (I just fell asleep before uploading this)
- Baka Test Volume 5 completed on 18th April 2012.
- Baka Test Volume 9 to be completed by 26th April 2012
- Gundam Unicorn Volume 2 completed on 17th May 2012
- Sword Art Online Volume 8 completed on 29th May 2012.
- Sword Art Online Volume 9 completed on 8th June 2012
- DenYuuDen v2 completed on 13th July 2012
- Baka Test v9.5 completed on 31st July 2012
- Sword Art Online Volume 10 completed on 30th September 2012
No translations during this time.
- Baka Test 10 finished on 6th November 2012
- Baka Test 6 finished on 14th November 2012
- Baka Test Crossover finished on 23rd November 2012
- Gundam Unicorn 3 finished on 6th December 2012
- Baka Test 6.5 finished on 3rd January 2013
- Gundam Unicorn 4 finished on 8th January 2013
- Gundam Unicorn 5 finished on 7th February 2013
- Baka Test 10.5 -- Me (watashi) and Usagi and my Ambiguous First Love finished on 14th February 2013 (I love how I'm making a trend of having a romance story released on this day)
- Gundam Unicorn 6 finished on 24th March 2013.
- Baka Test 10.5 finished on 10th April 2013.
- Exam period
- Exams end on 21st May
- Gundam Unicorn 7 finished on 31st May 2013
- Holidays from 2nd June to 15 June 2013
- Hikaru 1 - Aoi completed on 15th June 2013
- Gundam Unicorn 8 completed on 10th July 2013
- IS 8 completed on 31st July 2013
- Baka Test 11 completed on 5th August 2013
- Biblia 1 completed on 28th September 2013 (Very, very, very high chance this might get licensed and sold in the US, because it's just that popular. Schedule will change according to this)
- Exam period - I certainly am getting slower at this, ain't I?
- Hikaru 2 - Yuugao (draft completed on 23th November 2013
- May Your Soul Rest in Magdala v1 (draft) completed on 31st December 2013 (Why do I keep delaying this one...)
- Black Bullet 1 completed on 16th May 2014
- Hikaru 3 - Waka Murasaki (draft completed on 29th May 2014)
- Baka Test 12 completed on 20th July 2014
- Gundam Unicorn 9 to be completed on 27th July 2014
- Clockwork Planet 1 draft completed on 30th July 2014
- Hikaru 4 - Oborozukiyo (draft) to be completed on 15th August 2014)
- Hikaru 5 - Suetsumuhana completed 25th November 2014
- Hikaru 6 - Asagao (draft) completed 7th January 2015
- Tomorrow I will Die, You Will Revive 1 to be completed 31st January 2015
- Clockwork Planet 2 draft to be completed on 21st February 2015
- Biblia 2 to be completed 31st March 2015
- Magdala 2 to be completed 21st April 2015
Further sketching to be done.
Translators never die. They're just missing in action.
Okay guys, this would be a place where you can add your LN(s) recommendation to make me consider working at Baka Tsuki and cancelling my retirement. This isn't a vote like the last time, but something that you can add for me to consider whether I should work on the series. Rules are simple. More than 20 words to justify why you want me to work on that particular series, and the story should be about the plot synopsis only (which means no comments like 'because this guy's so cool' or whatsoever). Series that are not to be included are the ones I worked on/am working on/will work on (in other words, the ones that were named on my main talk page). After your comment, please add a --~~~~ at the back or else it won't be considered.--Teh Ping 07:41, 13 January 2012 (CST)
Let's try it. It's the right section for suggestions, ins't it? Wouldn't stop at this point, though.
Alright, now to the actual business. I suggest translation of Rental Magica. Reasons:
- It focuses solely on magic. Of course, it's about dark side and normal side of things but isn't it more interesting that way?
- It's really big series. I don't ask impossible, and I don't think that you'll agree to work on more than 20 volumes solo. I'd be more than satissfied if you'll agree to translate even one volume of RM. That is, if it'll stop you from retiring.
- I don't want translators to go MIA if there's even a small possibility that you wouldn't retire. Of course, I don't want to force you and it's only your right to decide but it's just my opinion.
- Back on topic. Why only one volume for start? I just want to see if main character won't be just thickheaded idiot who relies only on one specific ability of his. Also, I haven't read yet any series which were focused only on magic.
Phew. Please, consider my suggestion. Retirement is a big thing, after all. --Rock96 11:52, 8 February 2012 (CST)
Chaos2Frozen on Animesuki is also asking me for this. Still wondering about this though.--Teh Ping 00:29, 17 February 2012 (CST)
But this page isn't complete. Knowing Teh_ping, I think he'll want to complete it somehow.
Should Teh_ping complete this series then? I know there are other series to work on, and that it would be much more efficient to work on other series like Zero no Tsukaima and Aria, runner ups in the last poll, but since Teh_ping says that it'll be his last series, let's not allow him to do so then.
WTF!!!? Enough with taking so many series already, Teh_ping! Get your butt down and just work on SAO already!
What the hell was the last comment? Hey, Teh Ping isn't your dog, you cannot force him to do what he doesn't want to. Alright, enough with ranting, guys, it's irritating. If you wanna Teh Ping to continue translating after KnK, just tell him about that. If you're crazy fan of one series (insert_name_here), then just wait. --Rock96 20:44, 13 January 2012 (CST)
You know, I'll just ignore those comments from that SAO 'fan'. My fault for not asking Oni yet. And yeah, I know that other people have completed it. Just want to complete it myself here (unless someone uploads it onto Baka-Tsuki, which I'll be really glad to step aside.--Teh Ping 22:52, 13 January 2012 (CST)
You should take up doing Mahouka because its has a fairly interesting plot about modern day magicians where magic is considered a Technology rather than a figment of lore--Tachibana 03:52. 23 January 2012 (CST)
It will be a topseller, no doubt. The question is whether I would find it interesting, and whether it's against my values (I had been treading on the line for quite some time with Index and IS), because having read it, it's kind of like an incest version of Nanoha.--Teh Ping 04:39, 28 January 2012 (CST)
Hi, i think you should translate Monogatari Series, it is so weird and fascinating the way the novel is written, and nobody really want to translate it, because if i'm not mistaken, it is a very difficult novel to translate, hard lines and all that. -- Pold10 12:46 21 January 2012 (UTC -4)
It is a nice read. I'm not that confident in my Japanese though. I'm already struggling with Shana because of the style, and for Monogatari, it's more like 1 hours translating and 2 hours researching. I may pick it up once I have the confidence to do so, but there's no guarantees--Teh Ping 22:48, 21 January 2012 (CST)
mmm, by your rules, can't you just read the plot synopsis then? anyway, i second monogatari. i bet many people would like to read the novels to see if the anime skipped something. usually, i don't usually care much about details, but monogatari is all in the little things for me + not all are fans of the shafty visuals of the anime. also, it'll probably be interesting to reaearch all the stuff. not to mention you can significantly improve your TL skills. PS. preferably one of the volumes after nisemonogatari. personally i'm dying for new material. --Idiffer 07:46, 16 February 2012 (CST)
Well, to me, it's more meaningful to pump out text instead of merely giving summaries since it's like short-changing people. I do like the series, which I rate a 10/10 difficulty. If I can somehow finish Unicorn (9/10), there's a chance that I may do this series. (Again, I'm keeping my options open, even about returning to Shana.)
Papakiki!! Really touching series that has lots of comedy. Please consider working on it!!
If Zephyrus doesn't finish it before I finish my list, maybe.--Teh Ping 21:44, 20 February 2012 (CST)
Since you're working on Sword Art Online, you might want to consider Accel World. It written by the same author and occurs in the same universe in the future, although the two are not directly connected. Zero2001 - Talk - 09:18, 7 April 2012 (CDT)
Taken note here. I do know about Accel World since Xplorer30 once talked to me about it (and wouldn't it be humiliating if I don't know the works of the authors of some series I'm working on?) Of course, I'm suffering from the volumes that's piling up like Tetris, and I do expect some surge in interest after the anime airs. Question is how many translators will join after that.--Teh Ping 09:41, 7 April 2012 (CDT)
Well, as far as I remember you were already asked about the series I'm about to mention in that vote thread (since series were not in your list you simply said «no»), but still… What do you think about Seikai no Senki? Reasons to translate it:
- This is the great space-opera series; were it written in US and filmed in Hollywood I'm quite sure it would become second «Star Wars».
- Very detailed world: it is interesting to read not only about characters' adventures but about «how that world works» too.
- Adventures itself are quite interesting, nearly without repeats usual for some series (let's not tell anything bad about certain series and a lot of other ones)
- anime-version, especially vol. 3 are obviously heavily cut. Sometimes because difficulty of showing characters internal thoughts without author's speech, sometimes due to lack of time (vol.3 is only 2 episodes). So if LN ever be translated it will contain a lot of new material for fans, and will surely be read by a lot of people.
Only one reason not to translate this series: it's incomplete, and there is high probability that Saga of the Stars will never be completed (no info about continuation for many years already). Of course the second possible reason is if you are not interested in this series, and if you're not interested... it can't be helped. However I hope once to see this series translated... --Capitan Nemo 20 April, Year 1271 Before Establishment of the Empire (2012 AD).
I do know that Seikai no Senki is licensed by Tokyopop, and as for the other parts that aren't released, I'll consider it. Again, no guarantees.--Teh Ping 04:22, 20 April 2012 (CDT)
I may be late to the party, but I still would like to suggest few novels. If you like Gundam Unicorn so far, I would like to suggest other Universal Century novels. Mainly "Hathaway's Flash", written by Yoshiyuki Tomino. The story is set few years after the Unicorn and revolves around Bright Noah's son Hathaway who joins terrorist organisation that opposes Earth Federation. Also, there is "Gaia Gear", series of 5 novels also written by Yoshiyuki Tomino. Events of Gaia Gear happen in UC 0203 and revolve around person with memories of Char Asnable who was created to lead Metatron (colony resistance group) against Man Hunting Attachment police of corrupted Earth Federation. Both "Hathaway's Flash" and "Gaia Gear" are written by the creator of Gundam series Yoshiyuki Tomino, feature interesting plot twists and mecha designs (especially "Gaia Gear") and let readers take a look into obscure events of late Universal Century. --Rune Sa Riik 04:35, 5 June 2012 (CDT)
Hey Teh ping,What about "Rakuin no Monshou".looks interesting with a serious and good plot with action and romance too!
and,Why do DYD instead of DDYD?I mean didn't the anime cover all 11 volumes of DYD.So I think people'd like it more if you could translate dai densetsu no yuusha no densetsu. Then again Thank you very much for your translations!XD
Hello, I would like to recomend Tasogare-iro no Uta Tsukai. Kinda guy meets girl, magic is compromised of songs, reagents needed for every color, there are five of them: Keinez(red) - Ruguz(blue) - Surisuz(yellow) - Beorc(green) - Arzus(white), and each can summon things of its respective color. At the begining the guy who wants to master them all, and the girl who wants to make a new color meet. They go separate ways but promise to meet again when they reach their goals. time passes girl dies, her adopted son meets the guy who mastered every color. and a girl who has a strange connection to the red color. Complete series 10 volumes, first almost completely translated here on Baka-Tsuki. sorry to hear you want to retire, things will get slow here if you are gone. ..::Gradient::.. 07:36, 5 September 2012 (CDT)
I would like to recommend Date A Live. It's a pretty good light novel but I noticed that the translation takes too long since they lack so much manpower (or translators?). Anyways, thanks for translating a lot of light novels here in BT. I read IS and SAO and I am very looking forward to your translated works since I always get a good read once in a month when checking BT for updates --Special:Contributions/LN reader 04:15, 7 September 2012 (CDT).
Greetings, i made an account just to post this, i really hope you wouldn't retire, but you have your own reasons and i respect that. Still, i guess it'd be less livelier here without you. Now to the suggestions, i kinda agree with the person suggesting Rental Magica, it has a lot of volumes and i always like reading stories about magic, the magicians for rent thing really piqued my interest. I'd also like to reccomend Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. I have read the manga (the COMP ACE one) and it's really interesting. The Hero in this series can basically defeats any enemies but it takes much more than that to stop his people's suffering. It shows many different perspectives of war and how it's not just about defeating the enemy's boss. It also teaches us a lot about economics and agriculture, kinda like Spice and Wolf.
I recommend Hagure Yuusha no Estetika, since I heard it has a good story although its contents are just like DxD.
I'd disagree with Hagure, I'm glad Baka-Tsuki is adding new projects but I'm also concerned as there's not exactly a lot of translator power to go around. The people who you probably should ask are the translators for DxD given that its a familiar genre and ecchi-type, they might be more interested, and the DxD project is about pretty much caught up to the current novels. I am curious though as to what Ping is reading currently in his off-time? As it might be easier to go with the flow translating something you're currently interested and reading, than to throw out random projects and see which one sticks. Ping, where is the main place in which we should toss our suggestions because theres been the forums, here in the wiki although multiple pages, animesuki and what not so it seems people are just throwing things out all over, unless that was your original plan to take suggesstions from multiple places--Lighthalzen (talk) 16:31, 26 September 2012 (CDT)
In the first place, I have to lament that the structure doesn't allow for much motivation for translators. As for what I read in my off-time, Hakomari (I'll let Eusth handle that because of translation styles), Baka Test and Papakiki. The problem with suggesting LNs and stuff is that nobody would read the 'future project suggestion' thread often. There is no real avenue to recommend a light novel series, I must say. Probably because the LN market isn't as developed as the manga market. Basically, it also comes down to how motivated a translator is when working on a scene, not just the series itself. I do work on many series because I do put it onto myself to actually dispel the notion that Baka-Tsuki is a fansub group and we only like a few series and such. I work best when I'm doing stupid dialogue, for example. I can't say that I know exactly where we can post future project suggestions, but just do so on the usual place on BT forums, or here at least.--Teh Ping (talk) 00:03, 1 October 2012 (CDT)
For suggestions, I would recommend making a thread on the facebook page for BT and have suggestion made there. --Xanga -
Actually, there is a baka tsuki page on the facebook. It was created for people to vote their favorite Light Novels which had been sorted out by Code Zero from the Translation poll. As for me i was quite disappointed that the light novel Tsuki Tsuki! hadnt been chosen. That series has good story and nice illustrations.It currently has 8 vol out now. But the reason why it has been strange for other people until now is just like Teh Ping had stated: no one would visit Future Project Suggestions often. I recommend Tsuki TSuki for you guys. --DoomCalibur
Well, I'd like to suggest Densetsu.
You could try Scrapped Princess. It's an older series with its own magic system, but there is already three books translated before the company (and licenses) went kaput, so you can preview for yourself and see if you like the setting of the light novels, instead of having to commit to translating right off the bat. Rava (talk) 18:16, 6 December 2012 (CST)
Well first of all, i just want you to know that i am grateful for your contribution here in Baka Tsuki. I think that most people here can agree that you help more in tons of projects, and I'm one of those people that agrees with that idea. the project i want you to continue to work on is something that you completed as of right now. That series is Infinite Stratos. News have been reported that the author is re-continuing the seires in a new different publisher company. i don't know if this news has any credibility but i will still believe it anyway. Yes reader thinks that the plot is reoccurring: mc get a new girl every volume and before every tournament a major problem breaks out, but Infinite Stratos is one of those great novels that have the right mix of action, comedy, mystery, suspense, love, and the most important ingredient HAREM. Let face that the anime was a bit of a letdown and the manga is being translated in a vague speed so the novel is the only boat we readers have. and i think that you noticed that as the series progress the more questions are being answered; however, not only that those answers pose new questions, but there are still questions that are unanswered as of right now. I want you Mr. Teh_ping to accompany us to unravel the series mysteries as you help us cross the language barrier with your skill as a translator and editor. I am asking you as a reader with the intent of common decency that you should come back and translate Infinite stratos if it ever continues Anonymous (talk) 14:16, 8 December 2012 (CST)
i would really like to see Fukanzen Shinsei Kikan Iris to be translated. Kei sezane who is the author of Hyouketsu Kyoukai no Eden and Tasogare-iro no Uta Tsukai is the author of the series so Fukanzen Shinsei so you have a guranteed that it would be a good novel. As the manga has stated the mc is studying in a military academy under its mercenary soldier course, but he is really interested in machines and stuff, and it seems like he actually wants to transfer to the mechanical courses. he later found an android in a scrapyard, and took her home to repair her. That android is Iris. The MC seems a little more rugged than Sheltis(eden) and Ilis is adorable and moe. It is presumed that it focuses more on comedy-romance with a helping of action. And the character development, the descriptive world that you read in eden and tasagore-iro(read vol. 1 only. i dont know if it would retain the climax you get near each volume that you get from eden and tasagore-ito, but i do hope that it would be there. i hope you would reconsider your retirement and translate Fukanzen Shinsei Kikan Iris. --22.214.171.124 03:09, 12 December 2012 (CST)
Comments to go under here
Just a little guideline. Won't be as active once August 2012 comes though, since I would be in university (college)--Teh Ping 01:31, 31 October 2011 (CDT)
That would make sense, college is quite the pain. Good luck with keeping up with this. We (speaking for all your fans) are looking forward to reading your work! Hobogunner 04:16, 31 October 2011 (CDT)
I should be able to allocate a novel once a month after that, somehow...--Teh Ping 07:41, 13 January 2012 (CST)
Ice Milk Tea, I know its kinda unreasonable to ask anything but I do hope that you could accelerate the translation on volume 9 Baka to Test Shokanju. I am dying to know how Yoshi and Himeji relationship developing on. Of course it can wait until after CNY. And Happy Chinese New Year. -- Anon 22:39 21 January 2012
I don't intend to deviate too from my schedule now considering that each plan I have for the month is the bare minimum I expect myself to complete. Of course, if I can finish things faster than what I expect, I'll push the next release earlier.--Teh Ping 22:48, 21 January 2012 (CST)
Happy CNY Ice Milk Tea, according to your planning, Baka Vol 9 will only be translated on May 2012. This mayb my selfish request but perhaps you could swap the Baka Vol 5 (on March 2012) with Baka Vol 9? --- Anon 01:11 23 January 2012 (CST)
Well, I was requested earlier to take over vol 5 first before (And I do prefer to go in order).--Teh Ping 02:35, 23 January 2012 (CST)
Why are you planning to complete baka test 10 twice(May and July 2012)? *Just letting you know* --Pryun 23:57, 19 February 2012 (CST)
Done--Teh Ping 21:44, 20 February 2012 (CST)
imho this is a very good idea. like, god-tier idea... idiffer - 09:21, 7 April 2012 (CDT)
Mind telling me how to collapse the contents' table as well?--Teh Ping 09:41, 7 April 2012 (CDT)
actually, fuck that. here
|This is the header cell, which is always shown|
|Fuck yeah, collapsable tables FTW!!!.|
idiffer 09:41, 7 April 2012 (CDT)
IF PING RETIRES, WE RIOT!!
You are the magnificent troll, dear sir. --Rock96 11:08, 20 July 2012 (CDT)
OMG.. Does that mean I will be missing Volume 10 of Baka to Tesuto Syokanju? I was waiting patiently for the translation as I dont wanna bug Ice Milk Tea for ealier completion -- Anon205 21 July 2012
Aww I'll miss Ping's translations when/if you retire! I'd beg you not to go, but that'd be selfish and wouldn't make you choose differently. Thanks for doing all these translations! Swiftelf (talk) 09:47, 5 September 2012 (CDT)
Hi Ice Milk Tea, Any update on Baka Test 10? You tweet there will be an update to it 10 hours later on 7 Oct == 22:38 CST 9 October 2012
Mr. Teh Ping, when will Black Bullet Volume 2 and 3 fully come out? Please give me an estimate. (From a hard-core fan)