Live Alive naming

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

velocity7
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Live Alive naming

Post by velocity7 »

I do realize that literally speaking, if we translate from the katakana we get "Live Alive", but the way it was pronounced implied "Live" as more of the concert live, not the "living" sense of the word. Do we have any other way to properly show this?
BlckKnght
Astral Realm

Post by BlckKnght »

English doesn't really have a way to destinguish in writing between the two slightly different meanings of the word "live" (even though they are pronounced differently). Perhaps we could explain it in a translation note and put a link at the start of the chapter. Something like:
The word "Live" in the title should be pronounced so that it rhymes with "alive," not with "give" (so that it means "in person" and/or "in real time"). The pronunciation is explicit in the original Japanese, but there is not an easy way of showing that in written English.
SubordinateFive
Astral Realm

Post by SubordinateFive »

velocity7 wrote:...but the way it was pronounced implied "Live" as more of the concert live...
Oddly enough, I pronounced it this way before I even found out the Japanese title. Maybe I'm just weird like that. :D But you're right about the different pronunciations.

I agree with BlckKnght's suggestion. You may want to also show the original Japanese title (or romaji) to make your point clear.

Return to “Volume 6 - The Trembling of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第六巻: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺”