The Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru sentence clarification

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Nandeyanen
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

The Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru sentence clarification

Post by Nandeyanen »

"...and I'm still the dumbass who can't resist pretty girls, even though that's mainly because I hang around Haruhi and the SOS Brigade."

Should "because" be "why"?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

mmm....yes?

:roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
velocity7
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by velocity7 »

Both sound correct though. However choosing "because" or "why" will cause different meanings:

"because" implies that he became unable to resist pretty girls due to Haruhi.
"why" implies that being unable to resist pretty girls is the motivation behind hanging around Haruhi.
あれから半年、朝比奈さんはますます愛らしさレベルに磨きがかかり、俺は相変わらずのバカをやっているわけだが、それでも少しはハルヒとSOS団を取り巻く状況を指して、「まあこれはこれでいいさ」と言えるくらいには慣れ始めていると自己分析している。朝比奈さんが何を言ったとしてもいちいち驚いたりしないし、もちろん拒絶もしないつもりだ。
Half a year later, Asahina-san's cuteness scale had gone up even more, and I'm still the dumbass who can't resist pretty girls, even though that's mainly because I hang around Haruhi and the SOS Brigade. "Whatever, it'll be alright this way." I often comfort myself. Whatever Asahina-san says, I wouldn't be too surprised, of course I wouldn't be able to reject any request from her either.
Can someone double-check the translation?
Last edited by velocity7 on Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nandeyanen
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Nandeyanen »

It seems like it would be more sensible for it to be "why", but it changing "because" to "why" completely alters the meaning of the sentence, so it's probably better to check beforehand.
velocity7
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by velocity7 »

I had a friend of mine check the translation, and it appears the Japanese>Chinese>English problem strikes again:
Half a year later, Asahina-san's loveliness level had risen further. Though I was the same dumbass as before, nonetheless I immersed myself in the SOS Brigade's activities a little further. As I became used to it, I rationalized it, saying "Well, that's all right" and so on. Asahina-san couldn't surprise me no matter what she said and, of course I didn't intend to reject it either.
The resistance/rejection part refers to Mikuru's future talk and is not juxtaposed with some other resist part in the same paragraph; there was only one "justify" to begin with.

Also, it's neither why or because, it's "even so" or "nonetheless".

Return to “Volume 6 - The Trembling of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第六巻: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺”