"The Enigmatic Girl"

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

typhonsentra
Astral Realm

"The Enigmatic Girl"

Post by typhonsentra »

Yet again this "Strange Girl" Kyon was known to hang out with in middle school was brought up, this time in the Charmed at First Sight story in volume 6. Who is she? Has she appeared in any form in any of the untranslated works available so far?
Reader
Astral Realm

Post by Reader »

what are you talking about? "strange girl"? I have never heard of that!

Quote for vol 6:
"Nakagawa, huh......I think I remember there was such a person in my class. He was a wide-headed, broad-shouldered and muscular athletic looking guy."

Is this the "Strange Girl" you are talking about? If so, then the "Strange Girl" is a guy!
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

Read a little further into their conversation. Also in a previous chapter, remember when Kunikida said that Kyon has "Always had strange taste in women", or something to that effect? She keeps coming up.

From Nakagawa in "Chamred at First Sight Lover":
"But, did you only think that I was merely close to her? Didn't you think that I could be dating Nagato?"

"Not at all,"

Nakagawa didn't flinch a bit,

"You are the sort who's fond of weirder girls. Like back in our third year......now what's her name, haven't you continue going out with that enigmatic girl?"

You, as a Nagato-lover, are least qualified to comment on my preferences. I suddenly felt as though I've just lost my balance, but it's obvious he got something wrong. Ah yes, Kunikida has gotten that wrong as well. I was just friends with that girl, now that I think about it, we've not met ever since our graduation from junior high. I would occasionally think of her every few days, I wonder if I should send her a New Year greeting card......

For some reason, I feel as though I'm digging my own grave, perhaps I should change the subject,
From Kunikida in Volume 1, Chapter 1:
Taniguchi sarcastically put on an in-awe expression, then Kunikida popped up from behind Taniguchi.

"Kyon has a history of liking strange girls."

Hey, don't say things that'll create a misunderstanding.
Xerain
Astral Realm

Post by Xerain »

It was my impression that Kunikida was referring to the entire set of girls Kyon has previously been friends with or had some sort of interest in, while Nakagawa was referring to a specific girl that Kyon was friends with around the time Kyon and Nakagawa knew each other. Of course, this girl would be included in the set Kunikida mentions.

The way I see it, the author's purpose for having other characters mention Kyon's taste in "strange girls" is to have them imply "It's obvious to everyone else you like Haruhi the most, even if you deny it to yourself." That's just how I have been interpreting it. I relate both of those statements to Haruhi rather than some mysterious new character getting ready to enter the story. Of course, I can't deny that is still a possibility.
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

Even when talking about Kunikida getting the wrong impression, Kyon knows exactly who both of them are referring to so I think we're supposed to believe he was involved with only one girl. Plus in the Charmed story, he backed off from talking further about this specific person which has been a device the author's used in the past to allude to future developments.
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

That girl was just a girl from Kyon's final year in middle school. I don't think we'll get any more referances to her proabably.
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

If he says he thinks about her "Every few days" and is thinking about contacting her, I'd say it's a possibility. Have you read Volumes 7 and 8, Guest?
Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Dan »

typhonsentra wrote:If he says he thinks about her "Every few days" and is thinking about contacting her, I'd say it's a possibility. Have you read Volumes 7 and 8, Guest?
For a horny, teen-aged guy surrounded by beautiful girls (like Yuki), thinking about a specific girl "every few days" is equivalent to never. :P
Reader
Astral Realm

Post by Reader »

Oh! Now I see what you mean!
You are not talking about that football player guy in vol 6,

Mod: Spoiler for volume 8. Reader, LABEL YOUR SPOILER TAGS CLEARLY next time.
Spoiler! :
but the girl named 吉村美代子 in vol 8! I just read to that chapter!
I don't really want to spoil anything for you guys (even though the spoiler is small...I think...) ! Don't click on it if you don't wanta see my message and come complaining AHH!!! THAT READER IS A F******* B*****!!!
If you are patient, just wait until the English translations are all out then you will find out!
renrutal
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by renrutal »

More foreshadowing in the Haruhi series?

I wouldn't be surprised if that girl is related to a world-changing three-year-old God manifestation/Massive data explosion/Time-quake by a certain genki girl.
Reader
Astral Realm

Post by Reader »

I really don't want to say anything more
Spoiler! :
but when you find out the truth you will be rolling on the floor laughing ( we can't use abbreviations right?) by the way, thats what I did!
Xerain
Astral Realm

Post by Xerain »

Well sounds those of us who want to avoid spoilers and speculate freely without influence should just avoid this topic until after volume 8 is done.
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

Agreed. Thanks for the confirmation but I don't want the details ruined..... but how long will it be before Volume 8 will be fully translated?
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

we may never know ! BWAHAHAHA! :P

Return to “Volume 6 - The Trembling of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第六巻: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺”