Negative three hundred and seventy four degrees Celsius?

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Negative three hundred and seventy four degrees Celsius?

Post by onizuka-gto »

This discussion was moved from the chapter "Melancholy Of Asahina" talk page.
-375.15 degrees Celsius is Absolute Zero, the lowest temperature. It is a fact of physics that nothing can be colder than this. That Nagato's stare is so close to this is an indication of how extremely cold her look is.

The temperature of an object is the average vibration of its molecules, therefore the lowest temperature is where the molecules have zero (or near-zero) vibration - this lowest temperature is known as Absolute Zero. It equals -375.15° Celsius, –459.67° Fahrenheit, or 0° Kelvin.

But the highest possible temperature of liquid water is +374.15 degrees Celsius at a pressure of 221.29 bar (22.129 MPa or 3209 psi). It might be a reference to this. /victor a faithful reader 81.236.16.141 15:58, 26 November 2006 (PST)

The absolute zero is at -273.15 degrees Celsius. Nothing else! But yes, the absolute zero is at -459.67°F. To convert use °F = (°C × 1.8) + 32 or °C = (°F - 32) ÷ 1.8. It can't be colder then 0 K (-273.15°C or -459.67°F). /victor a faithful reader and also a Swedish chemist (we invented the Celsius scale) 81.236.16.141 16:19, 27 November 2006 (PST)

I think this translation is was botched. Perhaps the translater was using the chinese version? It's known to contain some errors... The text in the Japanese version reads "長門のマナス4°Cくらいに..." (pronounced: 'Nagato no manasu 4°C kuraini") which translates to "Nagato's approximately minus 4°C ..." - Nowhere do I see words about minus-three-hundred anything. Smidge204 18:00, 27 November 2006 (PST)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
renrutal
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by renrutal »

Maybe I should bring more clothes next time I go to China, their degree Celsius is a wee bit different than the Celsius around the world 8)
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

renrutal wrote:Maybe I should bring more clothes next time I go to China, their degree Celsius is a wee bit different than the Celsius around the world 8)
That's absolutely nonsense. The Chinese use the same Celcius as the rest of the world, I know since I live next to China.

I don't recall anything wrong with the Chinese text either, I'll go have a look.
Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Dan »

There's a conflict in the quote from the first post. To clarify, -373.15 Celsius is the coldest one can get.
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

There's always, of course, the possibility that Kyon intentionally means "colder than physics permits" in the description. Well, it really depends on what it says in Japanese.
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Dan wrote:There's a conflict in the quote from the first post. To clarify, -373.15 Celsius is the coldest one can get.
Aren't you off by a whole 100 degrees Celcius? Absolute zero is TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY THREE POINT FIVE Celcius, not THREE HUNDRED.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_zero
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

My bad, my bad. What Kyon said was negative four celsius. There was nothing wrong with the chinese text. I changed it to -374 to spice things up a bit ;)

I was under the impression that Kyon meant "very cold", so I thought why not just use the coldest temperature there is out there. Clearly a bad idea.

Please pardon my lame attempts at humour. Should I change it back to -4, or do we leave it as -373?
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Considering -374 is physically impossible, I'd definately change it to something else even if you were only trying to exaggerate things for literary effect.

My personal preference would be to stay true to the original where possible, but as long as it's equal to or greater than -273.15 °C then I think everyone can be satisfied. :)

=Smidge=
renrutal
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by renrutal »

Kinny Riddle wrote:
renrutal wrote:Maybe I should bring more clothes next time I go to China, their degree Celsius is a wee bit different than the Celsius around the world 8)
That's absolutely nonsense. The Chinese use the same Celcius as the rest of the world, I know since I live next to China.
O rly? :roll:

God, I was trying to make a joke, you know.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Kinny Riddle wrote:
Dan wrote:There's a conflict in the quote from the first post. To clarify, -373.15 Celsius is the coldest one can get.
Aren't you off by a whole 100 degrees Celcius? Absolute zero is TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY THREE POINT FIVE Celcius, not THREE HUNDRED.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_zero
Whatever! I'm an engineer anyway, so let me have a safety factor in my answers. :P
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Poll created to resolve this issue. Please see http://www.baka-tsuki.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=550
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

change it to -4 degrees celcius or very cold or whatever the Literal translation is. Its alwas better.
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Yea, I changed it back to the original translation. Sorry for all the fuss.

Return to “Volume 6 - The Trembling of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第六巻: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺”