[Charmed]American Football/NFL terminology experts needed

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

[Charmed]American Football/NFL terminology experts needed

Post by Kinny Riddle »

As a non-American, I can only translate so much terminology of that sport from the text and wikipedia. If there are any errors, you're more than welcome to go and correct them.

BTW, I watch the more proper Football anyway, which is "Soccer" to you Yanks. :P
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

I changed the part describing what the tight-end does a little, since the original wording suggested he blocked passes instead of blocking the defense. Other than that everything works.
She didn't give any yet anyway at this point......
I changed this line too, since I couldn't make any sense of it. The original Japanese text is この時は、まだ---- (kono toki ha, mada) which is like "This time, still" or something.

Lastly, added illustration!
=Smidge=
Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: [Charmed]American Football/NFL terminology experts neede

Post by Dan »

Kinny Riddle wrote: BTW, I watch the more proper Football anyway, which is "Soccer" to you Yanks. :P
I'm American and I agree. American football players don't even use their feet, save for the kicker. Most inaptly named sport in the world. :x
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

true. I wonder why american football is called football. Maybe i has something to do whenthe game first imerged.
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Another infernal misnomer...
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

I guess you're through with the football portion of the story now. Amazing how far you got today.
O_o
Astral Realm

Post by O_o »

Within the spectrum of modern football codes there are several "families", which have diverged from and/or influenced each other in their development. Many of these games have their origins in varieties of football played in England. By the 1850s, the two main families of football in England were the "kicking games", in which the ball was mostly kicked along the ground, and the "running games", in which the ball was mostly carried by players. Some codes combined elements from both families. In 1845, at Rugby School in England, rugby football became the first of the running games to have codified rules. The best-known of the kicking games is soccer (a word which originated as an abbreviation of "Association football"), which began with a code of rules devised in 1863 in England, by The Football Association. This form of Football (Soccer) has gone on to become the worlds number one sport with the FIFA World Cup Finals attracting the worlds highest televised audiences. However from these English roots it can be said that these FA rules laid the basis for many derivations of football in many forms.
Wikipedia can turn up some interesting info sometimes. American Football was called football before soccer was.
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

O_o wrote:
Within the spectrum of modern football codes there are several "families", which have diverged from and/or influenced each other in their development. Many of these games have their origins in varieties of football played in England. By the 1850s, the two main families of football in England were the "kicking games", in which the ball was mostly kicked along the ground, and the "running games", in which the ball was mostly carried by players. Some codes combined elements from both families. In 1845, at Rugby School in England, rugby football became the first of the running games to have codified rules. The best-known of the kicking games is soccer (a word which originated as an abbreviation of "Association football"), which began with a code of rules devised in 1863 in England, by The Football Association. This form of Football (Soccer) has gone on to become the worlds number one sport with the FIFA World Cup Finals attracting the worlds highest televised audiences. However from these English roots it can be said that these FA rules laid the basis for many derivations of football in many forms.
Wikipedia can turn up some interesting info sometimes. American Football was called football before soccer was.
I'm sorry, perhaps I've read it wrong, but can you please care to elaborate where in this passage did you come to the conclusion that "American Football was called football before soccer"? Because from the passage, it says the word "soccer" is derived from "Association football".

Just because the FA was founded in 1863, nearly 20 years after "rugby football" began to have codified rules in 1845 doesn't mean "soccer" comes after "rugby".
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

That's a purely symantic argument, since one could make a case that a sport barely even exists until recognized official rules are published.

Regardless, at best both Rugby and Soccer were called "Football" at least through 1850 to 1864, so the English have only themselves to blame.
=Smidge=
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

meh. we blame the ale.

Not like you puritans would understand.

:P
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
cotton
Astral Realm

Post by cotton »

It's not just Americans who call it Soccer. Most of the English speaking world calls it Soccer (That includes the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Ireland).

There are many codes of Football: American Football, Canadian Football, Australian Rules Football, Rugby League Football, Rugby Union Football, Gaelic Football and Soccer, to name but a few.

Football is the generic term. If you support a particular code of football, soccer for example, then that code is football to you.

Return to “Volume 6 - The Trembling of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第六巻: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺”