"Where Did the Cat Go?" translation question

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Nalin
Astral Realm

"Where Did the Cat Go?" translation question

Post by Nalin »

Hey. I don't know a thing about Japanese, but I found something that might need clarification. Take the following sentence:
Tsuruya-san bravely raise her hands the moment Haruhi asks that question.
First off, the sentence is wrong, and it should be raises or raised (I corrected it as "raises" to follow the same present-tense style the rest of the writing follows). That brings me to my question. Is she supposed to raise both hands or just one? Was the "s" left off of "raise" accidentally, or was it moved over to "hand"?

I know it is kind of a small and picky question, but I thought I would mention it in case somebody wants to be picky about it. It is kind of awkward to raise both hands when you want to be picked for something.
cotton
Astral Realm

Re: "Where Did the Cat Go?" translation question

Post by cotton »

Nalin wrote:Hey. I don't know a thing about Japanese, but I found something that might need clarification. Take the following sentence:
Tsuruya-san bravely raise her hands the moment Haruhi asks that question.
First off, the sentence is wrong, and it should be raises or raised (I corrected it as "raises" to follow the same present-tense style the rest of the writing follows). That brings me to my question. Is she supposed to raise both hands or just one? Was the "s" left off of "raise" accidentally, or was it moved over to "hand"?

I know it is kind of a small and picky question, but I thought I would mention it in case somebody wants to be picky about it. It is kind of awkward to raise both hands when you want to be picked for something.
Nalin,

You're right, that obviously needs fixing. So register on the Wiki and fix it!
Nalin
Astral Realm

Post by Nalin »

Well, I have registered and corrected half of it. But I don't know if it should have been translated to imply that she raised one hand in the air instead of both of her hands.

It is a standard conditioned response to raise one arm in the air to signal your willingness to be picked. If she raised both her arms in the air, it would either say something about her personality or provide insight into her eagerness at the time. If a teacher asks, "Who can give an answer to this problem," you wouldn't see people raising both their hands in the air unless they were exhibiting an unusual eagerness to be picked.

Since I don't know any Japanese, I was asking what the correct form is. If the sentence wasn't incorrect to begin with, I wouldn't even be asking this question. But I think it could be just a simple typo.
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

it would be one hand. Its typical in japanese thinking about waht the hyper japanese girl would do. Don't you remember those animes taht shows the girl raising their hand saying "HAI! HAI!"?
Armanewb
Astral Realm

Post by Armanewb »

You mean Hermione? Oh wait... :lol:
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

Is this story on hiatus?
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by HolyCow »

It appears so since the translator has gone AWOL...
/me claws out throat and dies
pgn674
Astral Realm

Where did the Cat Go? (64% Completed)

Post by pgn674 »

So what happens when a translator disappears? It was shiratoriryuuko doing it, right?

onizuka-gto? I'm reading in such a way that I don't read ahead. I'm stuck until this chapter is done. And I see there's a good bunch afterwards all done. Help?

It's been 17 days since the last update I could read...
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

When a translator disappears, we first call for a meeting of minds to try and telepathically communicate with the subject. Should mind communication fail, we then check Japanese history about giant crabs and their weakness that we should hit for massive damage to see if there are any clues. If that also fails, we resort to desperate and violent measures, that is, to get all his base are belong to us over 9000!!!!!

Wryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

All your base are belong belong to us
All your base are belong belong to us

I'm fairly sure the giant crab's weakness is the mouth and eyes. When ever you fight one, time stops for a second and their weaknesses are revealed.

Also, I hear that Shira is kinda busy with life atm with school and all, can anybody contact him?
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

When I'm done with what I'm doing I'll have a word with him and see if I can take over if he decides not to return.
ryo_hakusho
Astral Realm

Post by ryo_hakusho »

Um....has anyone heard of Shiratoriryuuko??

It's been a while since the last update for this chapter.
I really can't read the whole volume if a chap's incomplete.

In any case,I hope I'm not too rude and annoying about this.What with having a life and all that.
shamaan
Astral Realm

Post by shamaan »

Yeah... um... sorry, being a guest and all, but it's been quite a while since that chapter's stuck on 64%, and like the previous poster, I really don't like stopping in the middle of a story because it's not done.

That, and I also like reading through the order that is laid out by the author, so I can't advance onwards from this chapter.

If someone could shout out an answer...?
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Ha! :D You feel the same way I do bro. I've been waiting for this to be concluded for some time now as well. But to the powers that be, it most likely will not be completed in the near future. From what I heard the translator/s of that section have been busy with that thing called life. I'm not sure what they find so interesting about it. :P Just jump ahead, its more or less a side story that doesn't have much relevance to future events.
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Tanigawa has a habit of tying up loose ends, no matter how irrelevent. This short story is simply a way for him to tie up the events after Snow Mountain Syndrome. I can tell you without spoiling anything (because there's nothing to spoil anyway) is that "Where'd the Cat Go?" is the most uneventful short story in the whole story. I can guarantee that you won't miss a thing even you didn't read this chapter.

This story is basically a watered down version of the Murder Mystery in Lone Island Syndrome. The reason L.I.S was captivating was due to the twist that the victim was still alive and the whole thing was all an act to please Haruhi. This time, the reader already knows this is gonna be a show.

If shiratori continues to be missing, I'll try and see if I can take over the translation job from him. But as I'm busy lately, it'll be by the end of February before I can start anything.

Return to “Volume 6 - The Trembling of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第六巻: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺”