"Then who is the tomcat?"

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Nutcase
Astral Realm

Post by Nutcase »

The potential lines of discussion multiply rapidly, and I've spent quite a few compute cycles thinking about pain in relationships. But let's set 99% of that aside. Let's go back to Koizumi's suggestion about Kyon "reducing tension" by messing around with Haruhi. Can this be taken as a serious suggestion about an available course of action? Even just here there are several lines to follow, but maybe we should take one that relates somehow to tomcats.

Tomcats can indeed reduce their own tension by messing around. Cats aren't romantic. Haruhi has a cat-like side and has declared that she views 'love' as a kind of mental disease. So I think Koizumi is pointing to a real possibility; if Kyon chooses to act the tomcat, there will be a kind of resolution. That is to say, there is an unlocked door leading to messing around with Haruhi without romance, and nothing outside of Kyon's own mind stands in his way. On the other side of that door, I think the universe that Haruhi creates around herself would indeed be less tense.

Messing around with Haruhi and without romance would be, I imagine, top-of-the-line for that sort of thing. I have to admire the lad's self-restraint. It's one of those interesting paradoxes that the door is unlocked because Kyon isn't the sort to make that choice.

So Koizumi is annoying, bringing the issue up. Self-restraint isn't it's own reward.

Nutcase
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

There's that word again... :D I really, really think you're trying to read too deeply into a word that is a common pejorative term.

There is nothing to suggest the author wants to imply cat-like personality traits of the characters, make any connection between Shamisen and Kyon, or anything of the sort. Koizumi teases Kyon about his relationship with Haruhi, Kyon hits back with a comment implying Koizumi is gay. Sometimes it really is that simple.

While the story and writing style is very entertaining, it is neither a masterpeice of existential quandry nor a deeply introspective narrative.

=Smidge=
“When I choose a word,” Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean – neither more nor less.”
Nutcase
Astral Realm

Post by Nutcase »

There's nothing wrong with your view, Smidge. Perhaps it is the case that the author does not dwell on existential dilemmas and isn't himself deeply introspective. If he were, it would no doubt leak into a series of novels about what could be construed as the introspective musings of a young person in the midst of existential dilemmas...

:wink:
Nutcase
Dragoon
Astral Realm

Post by Dragoon »

There's a difference in viewpoints, I think. Haruhi has two categories of guys: Potatoes, and Kyon.

Love with a Potato is impossible. It's a mental disease or defect of quality enough to have you acquitted for murder. But, then, there's Kyon...

Listening to the veiwpoints of others, especially Potatoes, is absurd. But, then, she listens to Kyon...

Trusting anybody that she can't control, especially a Potato, is just going to result in danger for her. But, then, she takes Kyon's word at face value...

I think, if anything, treating Haruhi as a "fling" could be the worst thing to do for both him and her. It's an all or nothing relationship, and Kyon isn't ready for either. He's probably going to sit in that little "twilight" area for as long as humanly possible.
Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Dan »

Dragoon wrote:There's a difference in viewpoints, I think. Haruhi has two categories of guys: Potatoes, and Kyon.

Love with a Potato is impossible.
LOL :lol:

And to back that up, she only cares about Kyon's reaction toward my...err...Yuki and Mikuru. Everyone else can hit on them all they want, provided it doesn't interfer with club activities. I'm sure she's a bit torn between having rivals around all the time but they still make up her SOS Brigade.
cotton
Astral Realm

Post by cotton »

One of the stock scenes in Japanese rom-coms is where another girl will approach the female protagonist and ask her is she is romantically linked with the male protagonist. She will deny it and the other girl will then say something like "So, it's ok if I go after him then?"

I know it's a manga/anime cliche, but I really want to see that scene. I really want to see Haruhi's reaction.
Nutcase
Astral Realm

Post by Nutcase »

Well, let's see what happens if and when Tsuruya starts to nibble on Kyon's ear...

But she's almost a member, so that doesn't blunt Dan's point. But then she's almost a member because she is interesting and fun. Therefore, anybody close enough and interesting and fun enough to match up with Yuki or Mikuru or Haruhi herself would be on Haruhi's radar. That is to say, Haruhi doesn't waste time worrying about stuff that isn't actually problematic.

Smidge, you may really be correct that the author doesn't go through this sort of analytical process to put words in his character's mouths, he may well be working much more intuitively. However, analysis and intuition are like two horses in the same harness. There isn't an analytical truth separate and distinct from an intuitive truth. The truth is just there, outside of us, and our analytical and intuitive powers both pull the magically transformed pumpkin on a path of understanding.
Dragoon
Astral Realm

Post by Dragoon »

I know it's a manga/anime cliche, but I really want to see that scene. I really want to see Haruhi's reaction.
Do want. But only if it's someone that can protect herself, like Kimidori. I don't want Haruhi being brought up on charges of manslaughter.

Actually, I'm sure you've all seen the comic done by what'shisname at http://www.geocities.jp/kou_o_alternative/, where Haruhi goes bonkers over Tsuruya liking Kyon. That's pretty much the "worst case scenario." Coincidentally, Yuki goes nutters, too, in that comic.

I really want him to finish that comic so I can see what happens...
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

I have the full comic translated into english, you want me to email it to you? Send me your email if you want it.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Send it to my EMail if you could please. ^^
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

Email here!

burgersaremadeofcows/a/gmail.com

Yes, that is a real email account.
Dragoon
Astral Realm

Post by Dragoon »

As far as I know, he never finished the comic. It ends after:
Spoiler! :
Kyon slaps Haruhi
Is there more?

If so, I'll PM you my email. I have all translated up till that last comic, so no need, otherwise.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Dragoon wrote:As far as I know, he never finished the comic. It ends after:
Spoiler! :
Kyon slaps Haruhi
Is there more?

If so, I'll PM you my email. I have all translated up till that last comic, so no need, otherwise.
Same here, that's all I have of it. I thought maybe the author discontinued it becuase he/she didn't know what to do next. I love the way Tsuruya is drawn in that comic! :D
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Yeah it basically goes like this
Spoiler! :
Kyon falls in love with Tsuruya and wants Haruhi to change the world so he slaps her
Dragoon
Astral Realm

Post by Dragoon »

You THINK so... but:
Spoiler! :
It's some entity making Kyon do that. There's two voices: normal Kyon, and evil thoughts. Something happens to him that makes him do what he does.
He made a real doujin of it, too. I have the translated version of this one. It includes a prelude to the first part. In it, Tsuruya is talking to Mikuru prior to running into Kyon in the hallway.

Also, crazy Yuki is even crazier in doujin.

The doujin runs up to the part where Tsuruya drags Kyon off to spread the good news. I have no knowledge as to whether there will be another doujin for this.

If anyone wants, I'll find the link for it. SOS-dan's image board had it, I think.

Return to “Volume 6 - The Trembling of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第六巻: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺”