Live A Live edit discussion

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Smidge204
Astral Realm

Live A Live edit discussion

Post by Smidge204 »

An anonymous editor (219.122.241.242) recently made the following edit. This has a subtle effect on the meaning, and I think it's worth discussing and getting some verification on:
Original wrote: "The bunny ears on her head swung forward and back and she stood on the stage. Even if her eyes were replaced by someone else's, I would still recognize who she is."
Edited wrote: "The bunny ears on her head swung forward and back and she stood on the stage. Even if my eyes were replaced by someone else's, I would still recognize who she is."
The original says "her eyes" - which are regarded as one of the most distinguishing features of a person. In other words, even if Haruhi's most distinctive trait were changed, Kyon would still recognise her.

The edit says "my eyes" - which implies that Haruhi has become so famous among the students that even someone who never saw her before would still know who she is.

At least that's how I see it. Anyone else care to weigh in?
=Smidge=
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by HolyCow »

那个戴在头上的兔耳朵微微颤动,穿着暴露站在台上的人是谁,就算把的眼珠子挖出来换成别人的,我还是知道她姓啥名啥。
That is the original Chinese text. From the in the context we can safely say that it should be "HER eyes".
/me claws out throat and dies
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

#Baka-Tsuki wrote:[13:58] <shiratoriryuuko> ok
[13:58] <shiratoriryuuko> i this is how i am taking the original source material
[13:59] <shiratoriryuuko> even if her eyes are gouged out and replaced with somebody elses', I could still make out her exact name
[13:59] <shiratoriryuuko> (sorry, it sounds more guro than the original)
[14:01] <Fuchikoma> .
[14:01] <Fuchikoma> I'm liking the gouging thing there.. :p
Seems like we're reaching a concensus here.
=Smidge=

Return to “Volume 6 - The Trembling of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第六巻: 涼宮ハルヒの動揺”