Need new "SOS-Dan" acronym!

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Smidge204
Astral Realm

Need new "SOS-Dan" acronym!

Post by Smidge204 »

As part of the Volume 7 prologue, Kyon make a remark that the SOS-Dan should actually be called something else as part of a joke/side comment.

The rough translation is as follows, courtesy of BaKaFiSh:

"Rolled sushi really is a local activity. In a nutshell, she's a brigade leader that rigidly follows the little traditional festivals of the four seasons. Now, the SOS Brigade isn't the 'Save our world by Overloading it with fun: Suzumiya Haruhi Brigade' anymore, it's the 'シズン毎にオンタイムな行事をしめやかに実行する組織' (literally something like Organization that respectfully holds events appropriate to the season....but that doesn't fit SOS). This is so not a lie."

So what we need is a term that can be abbreviated to "SOS" but means sometihng like "Organization that respectfully holds events appropriate to the season".

This apparently appears only once, so it's not a huge deal I suppose... but let's kick some ideas around!
=Smidge=
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

Seasonal Organization Subcommittee Brigade?

Supreme Offerings for Spring Brigade?

... It's late. :(
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Hmmm. "Seasonal" is definately a good word to put there.

Seasonal Observation and Solemnization Brigade.

Bah. I need sleep...
=Smidge=
Leader of KH SOS
Astral Realm

Post by Leader of KH SOS »

Specially Observing all events approriate to the Season

Same thing I said in Talk.

/ksfl
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by HolyCow »

The 2nd S should probably be kept as "Suzumiya Haruhi's Brigade", but that's just my opinion.

Save the world by celebrating all Obstinate//Obsecure festivals Suzumiya Haruhi's Brigade? Since Haruhi is pretty bent on celebrating all the obstinate and obsecure festivals anyway.
cotton
Astral Realm

Post by cotton »

The obvious one is ...
The Seasonal Outings Society -- (a bit dull, maybe)

A few more...
Serving-up Outrageous fun, Season-by-season -- (in keeping with the original)
Students for Occasional Snacks -- (my favourite)
The Sun Or Snow brigade -- (meh)
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

HolyCow wrote:Save the world by celebrating all Obstinate//Obsecure festivals Suzumiya Haruhi's Brigade
I'm kinda liking this one. It fits the pattern quite well... The only nitpick it that it drops the "respectfully" part of the translation. I vote for "Obscure" in this case, even though "Obstinate" describes haruhi very (very) well it's even farther from the original "respectfully."

=Smidge=
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

I like Santa Vaca's suggestion too.
Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Dan »

Ditto for HolyCow's suggestion.

I'm not smart enough to come up with one...*depressed*

Edit: Ok, I caught up in reading the chapter. I know a bit about Bernoulli. Perhaps instead of translating it as "line" it should be translated as "equation" or "polynomial", probably "polynomial" because people who read "equation" might confuse it with the fluid mechanics equation to find pressure in a flowing fluid. Plus they can Google that easier if they have no clue what it is.

Here's a good pic I made in MatLab, I tried to make it look like the picture I think Koizumi might have drawn, minus the coordinate axis.
Adam N.
Astral Realm

'Bernoulli line'

Post by Adam N. »

Dan wrote:Ditto for HolyCow's suggestion.

I'm not smart enough to come up with one...*depressed*

Edit: Ok, I caught up in reading the chapter. I know a bit about Bernoulli. Perhaps instead of translating it as "line" it should be translated as "equation" or "polynomial", probably "polynomial" because people who read "equation" might confuse it with the fluid mechanics equation to find pressure in a flowing fluid. Plus they can Google that easier if they have no clue what it is.
I posted on the "talk" page. I'm pretty sure they meant lemniscate. For reference, see http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~his ... scate.html or http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Lemniscate.html.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Adam N.:

I suggest you post a new topic about it, if you think it warrants a discussion. Onizuka-GTO will only move itto the forum anyway :)

=Smidge=
Xerain
Astral Realm

Post by Xerain »

I think Kyon was being sarcastic, it's not like this is officially a new meaning for SOS-dan. Therefore the 'in keeping with the original' should probably be in keeping with Kyon's sarcasm more so that having haruhi's name worked in somewhere.

I'm liking Solemnization of Seasons no dan myself, but maybe it's not awkward sounding enough to fit.
renrutal
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by renrutal »

I like HolyCow's suggestion, it's the one closest to the pseudo-acronym translation of SOS Dan.

Since 'Sekai wo Oini moriagerutame no Suzumiya Haruhi no Dan' isn't translated literally to 'The Suzumiya Haruhi Brigade to Bring More Excitement to the World', I don't think this one should too.

Return to “Volume 7 - The Intrigues of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第七巻: 涼宮ハルヒの陰謀”