Rival Entity to the Integrated Data Sentient Entity

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

The borg
cotton
Astral Realm

Post by cotton »

I'm with Lupus and the Babelfish.

The Macrozonal Cosmic Existence sounds pretty damn cool to me.

I'd buy a CD with a name like that.
Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Dan »

How about "ubiquitous" instead of "Broad Area" or "Expansive Regional"? It seems like the kind of crazy, uncommon word aliens would use to describe themselves. I will admit it has more of a connotation to omnipresent than to being in many places, but it should be okay to get the idea across.
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Nagato reads thick science fiction novels. It seems reasonable that she'd use words of the kind that would show up in a thick science fiction novel. So I asked my brother (who reads a lot of SF) what he thought it should be. His first suggestion was "distributed" or "grossly distributed" but he thinks that might be straying a bit too far from the original meaning. "Distributed" is really quite different from "area." He likes "macro" too, but also can't think of a good follow-up. I guess my SF sense wasn't too far off.

Well, Grossly Distributed Cosmic Existence. Just another suggestion to choose from.
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by HolyCow »

Macrozonal and Macrospatial both sound cool to me. It definately sounds better than "Broad Regional" lol.

I kinda like "Macrospatial" since "spatial" reflects the entity exists in space, but it's kinda hard to pronounce. And it's also a pain to type @.@

"Macrozonal" sounds nice, but "zonal" may have other meanings in the future. I have a feeling that once a slider shows up from a different zone or dimension, "macrozonal" (or macrodimensional) is going to be a bit off.

So "Macrospatial" or "Macrozonal"? I'm going to have to create a poll for this lol
dod13
Astral Realm

Post by dod13 »

I posted this in the poll thread but I'll post again here for the perusal of the other translators (since this thread seems more oft-visited):

I'm down for something like Dispersed Cosmic Existence. 'Dispersed' because my conjecture is that '広域(帯)' isn't literally 'wide area (band/region)' like holy sh!t they have a big empire; rather, as some sort of ontological being on par with Yuki's IDSE, I imagine it to be some sort of data/consciousness/transcended existence occupying -- or dispersed over -- a volume of cosmically significant scope. Hence, my choice of words seem to me to be quite appropriate.

What do the other translators think of this? Kinny?

Edit: For the record -- if we are to be literal -- I think macrozonal would be a terrible choice. Though talking of the universe in terms of 'zones' may be quite pertinent in certain astrophysical contexts, nothing in the Japanese here connotes a sense of zonal division, merely an occupation of a large volume of space. Not to mention I just don't think the word has that proper ring to it. But that's just me. :wink:

Return to “Volume 7 - The Intrigues of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第七巻: 涼宮ハルヒの陰謀”