What should the rival entity be called?

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

The name of the rival entity should be --- (insert drumroll here)

Poll ended at Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:16 am

Broad Area Universal Existence
11%
Broad Regional Galactic Existence
7%
Macrozonal Cosmic Existence
14%
Macrodimensional Cosmic Existence
11%
Macrospatial Quantum Cosmic Existence
39%
Other (Please specify)
18%

Total votes: 28

HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

What should the rival entity be called?

Post by HolyCow »

In Volume 7, Chapter 1, Nagato mentions a rival entity that roughly means "Wide-Regional Galactic Existence". Since it sounds ultra cheesy, I've decided to create a poll to resolve this issue. Here are the few best sounding non-goofy ones I've narrowed down from the various suggestions given in the other topic.

If you have a similar sounding idea (for example, Macrozonal Galactic Existence or something of the sort), please vote for the similar sounding one (in this case, Macrozonal Cosmic Existence) but remember to specify it in your post the exact name you wish to see.

If you want something totally different (For some really weird reason, say you want Wide Coverage Space Entity XD) then please specify also. In this case, vote under "other".

I think 3 days will be enough for this poll, eh?

Please vote!
Last edited by HolyCow on Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

I personally voted for "Macrospatial" since it sounds cool, and "spatial" reflects the existence's existence in space.

Oh and a tongue twister I just thought of. Try saying it five times in a row quickly: The existance exists in a existig existance.
dod13
Astral Realm

Post by dod13 »

Voted other:

I'm down for something like Dispersed Cosmic Existence. 'Dispersed' because my conjecture is that '広域(帯)' isn't literally wide-area like holy sh!t they have a big empire; rather, as some sort of ontological being on par with Yuki's IDSE, I imagine it to be some sort of data/consciousness occupying -- or dispersed over -- a volume of cosmically significant scope.

What do the other translators think of this? Kinny?

Edit: For the record -- if we are to be literal -- I think macrozonal would be a terrible choice. Though talking of the universe in terms of 'zones' may be quite pertinent in certain astrophysical contexts, nothing in the Japanese here connotes a sense of zonal division, merely an occupation of a large volume of space. Not to mention I just don't think the word has that proper ring to it. But that's just me. :wink:
As well, 'macrodimensional' just doesn't seem right here. It's as if it's being taken into consideration merely because it's a 'big word' that only obliquely relates to the basic idea we are trying to express. Macrodimension? Unless we're making some sort of string theory reference to the other 7 or 8 spacetime dimensionalities, the word just does not make sense here. HolyCow's 'macrospatial' would probably be the most faithful alternative to me, if 'dispersed' is not to everyone's taste.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

I'm voting 'other' as well.

From the novel, the name is: 広域帯宇宙存在

広域 = Wide Area
帯 = Energy band (as in atomic-level electron energy states)
宇宙 = Universe
存在 = Existance/being

So I would propose something like, "Broad-area Universal Energy Existance"

Or to take a little bit of liberty with the implied meaning of (帯): "Broad-area Universal Quantum Existance"

=Smidge=
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

Aren't "Broad Area" and "Universal" a little redundant?
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

In this use, "broad area" suggests far-reaching (near omnipresence) while "universal" suggests all-purpose (near omnipotence).

Just my take on it, of course.
=Smidge=
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

I think Macrozonal would go well. It's wordy, lengthy, incomprehensible, and memorable.

Or you could do the Arcana thing and go "Macrozonal Cosmic Existance (temporary name)".
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

http://thesaurus.reference.com/

Ever tried mixing and matching around with a thesaurus?

This site has been most useful in my translation.

Using this, I got: The Universal Expansive Spatial Existence. Though I still think it can be further improved.

Remember that in order for it to make the most sense in English, try taking some liberty in turning the order of the four words around.

After all, our version of the IDSE was originally:

情報統合思念体
Jouhou Tougou Shinentai

Jouhou - Data
Tougou - Integrated
Shinen - Sentient
Tai - Entity

Since in English, it sounds better to place "Integrated" ahead of "Data".
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

I'd be careful using a thesaurus. Remember that english words can have several different meanings depending on context, and a thesaurus will not take that into consideration. What you end up with will have a different significance in the meaning, for better or worse.

Changing the order of the words, especially adjectives, rarely makes any difference in meaning.

And I think you're still leaving out the 帯 :D In order to provide the proper balancing force in this discussion, I'm going to insist that it be included somehow. (Hey, things are boring when everyone agrees!)
=Smidge=
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Smidge raises some interesting discussions. The "帯" could mean something else. I always thought that it was a word together with 広域 but I just noticed they could be separated.

Anyhow, I think that "Broad/Wide" sounds a little odd, especially when combined with "Area". It sounds like a cellphone service provider ad ;P

I'll have to take into account the "Quantum". Maybe "Macrospatial Quantum Cosmic Existence"?
BaKaFiSh
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BaKaFiSh »

I like 'Presence' instead of 'Existence'

I don't really mind the rest.

Just my two cents.

^__^;

Oh, and in place of Cosmic, I would put Celestial. They mean basically the same thing, but Celestial sounds better.^^...More.....elegant-sounding~

Nyaa~
nook_21
Astral Realm

<something> Quantum Cosmic Existence

Post by nook_21 »

I voted others:

<Vast/Dispersed> Quantum Cosmic Existence

I would choose either Vast or Dispersed to reflect its position as a rival entity to Yuki's Integrated Entity.

In any case, the later 3 words "Quantum Cosmic Existence" sound the most appropriate so far.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

BaKaFiSh + nook_12 = "Vast Quantum Cosmic Presence"

I really like the sound of that. It's all mysterious with that "Cosmic Presence" part, like you can't really define it but you know it's there... in fact every part of it suggests something that is, by nature, incomprehensible to mere mortals.

I vote for this one!
=Smidge=
??????
Astral Realm

Post by ?????? »

How about international cosmic existence?
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Smidge204 wrote:BaKaFiSh + nook_12 = "Vast Quantum Cosmic Presence"

I really like the sound of that. It's all mysterious with that "Cosmic Presence" part, like you can't really define it but you know it's there... in fact every part of it suggests something that is, by nature, incomprehensible to mere mortals.

I vote for this one!
=Smidge=
Ditto! I like it. :)

Return to “Volume 7 - The Intrigues of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第七巻: 涼宮ハルヒの陰謀”