What should the rival entity be called?

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

The name of the rival entity should be --- (insert drumroll here)

Poll ended at Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:16 am

Broad Area Universal Existence
11%
Broad Regional Galactic Existence
7%
Macrozonal Cosmic Existence
14%
Macrodimensional Cosmic Existence
11%
Macrospatial Quantum Cosmic Existence
39%
Other (Please specify)
18%

Total votes: 28

Asukira
Astral Realm

eerrrr.

Post by Asukira »

aaaah, it seems I'm too late /_\

just one note: 帯 means "Band" only in certain cases, or when it's capable of describing an object by itself. it can also mean area, surrounding, space, etc. The most commonly used one would be surrounding, but considering the context here..... Marco-spatial or that marcozonal word would fit the best, I believe, though Marcozonal sounds weird to me =\

Galaxy Marco-spatial Existence, or something, i propose =P
Initial B
Astral Realm

Post by Initial B »

I like what was chosen, but I would replace "Cosmic" with "Galactic". To me, "cosmic" is derived from cosmos, or universe. A universe is a lot bigger than a galaxy. This enemy is probably one of the bigger kids on the Galactic block (or even the local cluster), but I'm sure there are bigger fish out there. If you upscale all the way to cosmic, then there is nothing else bigger if the authour decides to scale up the conflict in later installments.
Inui Kogata
Astral Realm

MOE ???

Post by Inui Kogata »

M : Macrozonal, macrospatial, macrocosmic

O :Obscure, Ominous, omnipresent, oneness, opposite, orthodox,
outstanding, outer, outlive, overbearing

E : Entity, existence, echelon, elite??? , embodiment, emissary, emperor,
empire, enforcement???, eon, envoy, epitome, equilibrium

Go MOE
asukira
Astral Realm

Re: MOE ???

Post by asukira »

Inui Kogata wrote:M : Macrozonal, macrospatial, macrocosmic

O :Obscure, Ominous, omnipresent, oneness, opposite, orthodox,
outstanding, outer, outlive, overbearing

E : Entity, existence, echelon, elite??? , embodiment, emissary, emperor,
empire, enforcement???, eon, envoy, epitome, equilibrium

Go MOE
rofl, if they used that i don't know how much uproar it will cause.
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

now that would be amusing.
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by HolyCow »

The whole of Haruhiism would be after my head ;P

Right now, it seems that "Macrspatial" is winning, but now the problem is "帯". I'm not sure if it is one word (Quantum/Band) or a part of "Macrospatial". I'm going to need some help on this one.

So here's another question, this time aimed at translators and editors only: Do you think 帯 means "Band/Quantum" or is it a part of "Macrospatial"? I believe both are acceptable.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

I think it stands as its own word.

"帯" is so great it even has it's own Wikipedia entry (In Japanese, of course. Google translation here)

From the (machine translated) article:

History of band
Band hook
Band of Japanese dress
Incantation element
Band of book
The band in bookbinding process
The band as packing
Other band

The "Other bands" part is the same as what I got from the dictionary before (being a broadcasting/technical term eg 'broadband'), but apparently it does have other meanings so I apologize for what I said in a previous post.

I'd also like to restate my vote for "Vast Quantum Cosmic Presence" :D
=Smidge=
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Hmm, I've added it in, but I'm not sure if it's okay to revote for it. And I have no idea how to reset the "other (please specify)" part.

Man this is giving me a headache @.@
cotton
Astral Realm

Post by cotton »

I think at the end of all this we need a run-off vote between the top two. As it stands, the top two are likely to be...

[1] Macrospatial Cosmic Existence (The wrong answer)

and

[2] Macrozonal Cosmic Existence (The right answer)
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Isn't it time someone put an end to this debate and set a deadline already?

BTW, Happy Holidays everyone.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

What was the point of having a poll if you don't use the name that everyone voted upon?
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

The options changed.

Democracy at it's finest...
=Smidge=
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Dispersed Quantum Cosmic Existence. If you think about it, it's the DIRECT opposite of the IDSE. Let me explain:

I= Integrated. Dispersed is kind of the opposite, don't you think?
D= Data. Instead of data, we now have "Quantum" or "Energy", which is very much different from data.
S= Sentient. Alright, this is the only one which "Cosmic" doesn't have any relation to, but let's just keep "cosmic" since that's what the author intended to.
E= Entity. "Existence" VS "Entity". I think I've mentioned this before. Different names that more or less mean the same but contrast with each other. Note that the kanji used is different also.

So IMO Dispersed Quantum Cosmic Existence fits it just fine. All we need now is to decide whether the "带" has any meaning on its own or not.

Cotton: Who said anything about "Macrozonal" being right and "Macrospatial" being wrong? From what I can see, both are acceptable, it's just that "Macrozonal" tends to be more misleading, since there could be multiple "zones" in the future. Macrospatial, on the other hand, symbolizes the existence's existence in space, and it also means a wide, multi-spatial existence. I don't see what's so wrong about "Macrospatial".
cotton
Astral Realm

Post by cotton »

HolyCow wrote:Cotton: Who said anything about "Macrozonal" being right and "Macrospatial" being wrong?
Me! I said it! Four or five times now, I think. I made an entirely unilateral decision. All by myself. It just sounds, I don't know, wackier.
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Lol

Anyways, I set the poll for lock-up in three days. That should give us plenty of time to decide on a name.

Right now I'm going for "Dispersed Quantum Cosmic Existence", so if anyone has any objections, please raise them here.

Meh, "Macrospatial Quantum Cosmic Existence" would probably satisfy everyone, since it's pratically everything gift-wrapped together into one huge, wordy, gibberish name.

Return to “Volume 7 - The Intrigues of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第七巻: 涼宮ハルヒの陰謀”