What should the rival entity be called?

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

The name of the rival entity should be --- (insert drumroll here)

Poll ended at Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:16 am

Broad Area Universal Existence
11%
Broad Regional Galactic Existence
7%
Macrozonal Cosmic Existence
14%
Macrodimensional Cosmic Existence
11%
Macrospatial Quantum Cosmic Existence
39%
Other (Please specify)
18%

Total votes: 28

Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Smidge204 wrote:I'd be careful using a thesaurus. Remember that english words can have several different meanings depending on context, and a thesaurus will not take that into consideration. What you end up with will have a different significance in the meaning, for better or worse.

Changing the order of the words, especially adjectives, rarely makes any difference in meaning.

And I think you're still leaving out the 帯 :D In order to provide the proper balancing force in this discussion, I'm going to insist that it be included somehow. (Hey, things are boring when everyone agrees!)
=Smidge=
What are you talking about? I've already included the 帯.

Here's the original term.
広域帯宇宙存在

Universal - 帯
Expansive - 広域
Spatial - 宇宙
Existence - 存在

I don't see what I've missed.

And also, a thesaurus is better than none. Of course I'm aware that some synonyms can have totally different meanings if not used properly, why do think I spend a lot of time translating just to pick the suitable synonym? Better than having to use the same word used sentence after sentence.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Kinny Riddle wrote: Here's the original term.
広域帯宇宙存在

Universal - 帯
Expansive - 広域
Spatial - 宇宙
Existence - 存在

I don't see what I've missed.
If you're using a dictionary, which one? Apparently the one I'm using disagrees a little. No use being on the same page if we're using different books!

帯 is "Band," as in a range of values (as opposed to a group of people or something that is wrapped around another object).

広域 is literally "Wide area" (Close enough to "expansive" that I won't nitpick over it, but I still like "Vast")

宇宙 is Universe/Cosmos/Space, as in the void between planets and stars... which is nowhere near "Spatial"

存在 is Existance (100% agreed here)

This is why it didn't seem to me that you included the (帯) - I can't see any way to manipulate the wording to get what you got.

Actually, looking at it again I think "cosmic existance" is spot-on. Maybe, combining the first three kanji, we can get "Wideband cosmic existance" which can be thesaurus-ised into "Broad-spectrum cosmic existance."
=Smidge=
cotton
Astral Realm

Post by cotton »

This is one of those situations where democracy is not particularly useful.

The correct answer is "Macrozonal Cosmic Existence", no other answers are acceptable.

Perhaps it's time to institute some kind of revolution here.

Who's with me?

Viva la Macrozonal Cosmic Existence!
dod13
Astral Realm

Post by dod13 »

I think Macrozonal would go well. It's wordy, lengthy, incomprehensible, and memorable.

Or you could do the Arcana thing and go "Macrozonal Cosmic Existance (temporary name)".
What? It's going to be wordy and lenghty anyway. And the last thing we want is to make it incomprehensible. That's why there's a debate here. 'Macrozonal' is not incomprehensible here, it's nonsensical.

Smidge: 帯 can mean belt or band, but those two words don't convey the entirety of its meaning in Chinese, and for that matter, Japanese. On the other hand, your inclusion of 'quantum' into the translation, I like. It definitely fits with the type of thing the term conjures up, although combining the idea of 'macroscopic' with 'quantum' in the same phrase does provide us with a little bit of a quandary. Maybe it's one huge Bose-Einstein condensate? Haha, j/k... Regardless, Vast/Dispersed (Quantum) Cosmic Existence is OK with me.
Last edited by dod13 on Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Umiman
Line Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Umiman »

cotton wrote:This is one of those situations where democracy is not particularly useful.

The correct answer is "Macrozonal Cosmic Existence", no other answers are acceptable.

Perhaps it's time to institute some kind of revolution here.

Who's with me?

Viva la Macrozonal Cosmic Existence!
Huzzahh!!!!
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
Xellos00
Astral Realm

Post by Xellos00 »

Vast Quantum Cosmic Presence

Is what I choose!

Macrozonal sounds wrong considering zonal means 'an area divided by zones' or
'nature of a zone'. Also it sound weird when saying :twisted: .
...not even a word..... :roll:

anyway that my opinion! Cheers! 8)
Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

I guess I need to go back to the drawing board then. :o

How about the "Broadband Cosmic Existence"? :lol: :lol:

One interpretation would be Comprehensive Spherical Cosmic Existence (though this would lead people to think "sphere" in terms of a shape rather than "sphere of influence", the Existence itself is shapeless).

Another one would be Comprehensive Zonal Cosmic Existence. Sounds elegant no? 4 syllables, followed by 2, 2, and 3 syllables.

Because our own interpretation of the Integrated Data Sentient Entity is 4-2-3-3, which isn't too far off.

The first 4 syllable word gives the impression that it is an abstract being, but it still sounds right because the other words that follow aren't really that "cluttered" with syllables.
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

what about Vast Quantum Cosmic Existance?
nook_21
Astral Realm

Post by nook_21 »

To break the terms down:

広域 - broad, vast, dispersed
帯 - band, spectrum, quantum
宇宙 - universe, cosmic
存在 - existence, presence

Broad Spectrum Cosmic Existence?
Dispersed Quantum Cosmic Existence? (personal fav as it sounds like the opposite of Integrated Entity)
or Vast Quantum Cosmic Existence? (sounds good too)
velocity7
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by velocity7 »

How about...

The Twilight Zone?

:o
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Ohhh twilight zone! xD *creepy music*
higher entity
Astral Realm

just read it

Post by higher entity »

Some idea : major entity of macrocosmic unity
Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Dan »

I think the translators are trying to shy away from using the word "entity". The author doesn't seem to use it, and to help the translation stay true in some sense, the name of these new aliens should be different.
Armanewb
Astral Realm

Post by Armanewb »

Multispectral Cosmic Presence

don't laugh :oops:
foxfire79
Astral Realm

Post by foxfire79 »

I voted for the macrospacial-whatsy-doovy - it sounded pretty awesome, and hey! it's actually the winning answer at the moment too!

though I am kinda leaning towards the 'Viva la Macrozonal Cosmic Existence' group, hehehe :)

Return to “Volume 7 - The Intrigues of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第七巻: 涼宮ハルヒの陰謀”