There are a lot of gramatical errors.

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

There are a lot of gramatical errors.

Post by Haiyami »

For one I've noticed a lot of the times there are lines when kyon should be speaking but there are no quotation marks. Then the person next to to him replies as if he/she knows what Kyon is thinking.
What do you mean? No matter how I think of it, Nagato will never hurt Asahina-san.

"Mhm, I know. Nagato-san doesn't think like that. This is just my own observations...... But, I know this for sure, Nagato-san looks as if she (cares - minds, more like, word please~ [how about concerned?]) a lot about me."
Shouldn't be
"What do you mean? No matter how I think of it, Nagato will never hurt you, Asahina-san."

"Mhm, I know. Nagato-san doesn't think like that. This is just my own observations...... But, I know this for sure, Nagato-san looks as if she (cares - minds, more like, word please~ [how about concerned?]) a lot about me."
I see stuff like this all the time in the previous chapters as well.

I'm just saying this so that when people print out the pdf files and turn them into a book, they aren't so gramatically incorrect.
[/quote]
BaKaFiSh
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BaKaFiSh »

It's supposed to be like that.

It's like that in the original books, so...yeah..

and occasionally, he doesn't actually say it, he's just thinking it...so...putting quotations would get confusing.
bicube
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by bicube »

Yeah, we had a discussion about this before I think. But there are times when Kyon is thinking to himself and it "leaks" out to the other characters. This happened in the anime as well, when Haruhi cut her hair, and he was saying how it's rash to cut it the day after he mentioned it. Her response: "Not really." So there are times when the author leaves it out on purpose.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

I think it gives the reader a bit of leeway on Kyon's character. I was weirded out at first how everyone seemed to be able to read Kyon's mind, but then I just took it as Kyon paraphrasing what he said.
Garstansinilliam
Astral Realm

Post by Garstansinilliam »

It's a dramatic device, you're never quite sure when Kyon's talking, or just thinking, so often he has a very long mental monolouge, but then someone else will respond to his last line.

It's part of what makes these books great.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

I like to think of it as Kyon mumbling to himself as he thinks, so sometimes other characters hear it and respond.

There is no method used to differentiate between Kyon's internal monologue, his descriptive narrative, his dialog (although there are some exceptions where quotes are used) or when he's addressing the reader directly. You have to figure it out as you go.

Not knowing exactly how the words you read fit into to the story until you get to the next paragraph sorta fits the whole theme of the novels.
=Smidge=
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

There was an idea about putting his "leaked" dialogue in italics, but IMO it sort of spoils the story. I prefer putting everything in normal print without the "s so that the reader finds out by him/herself which is leaked and which is not. It's more amusing that way ;P
Felin
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Felin »

amusing to some, frustration to others :X
I saw it too and it was very bothersome to check again the lines above and superate them, mentally, to speak text and thinking text.

maybe kyon is mind reader of some short, what do you think? he seems to convey alot to others.

Return to “Volume 7 - The Intrigues of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第七巻: 涼宮ハルヒの陰謀”