Talk about Super Update.

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Astral Realm

Re: holy crap

Post by Guest »

also anonymous wrote:Mod: It ought to be the translators that's doing the forgiving to all your constant "grumblings", not the other way round. They're doing this of their own free will and certainly don't owe you anything. I know you don't mean it, but please be more considerate next time.
Easy there. Said line is actually a joke, although admittedly an imageboard-centric one that you can't necessarily be expeceted to get. But don't take anon seriously :P

I was really hoping for Kyon to get a comeuppence for faithfully following all these orders from people of rather questionable motivations. After all its always possible that the eventual discison of the future humans will be to destroy Haruhi. He seems to have finally realised that these people aren't to be trusted however.

Oh, and props to the translators again, although bits of this are garbled or just a touch clumsy (editors, go!). I actually suspected a big update after all the silence though.
Stratosphere
Astral Realm

Post by Stratosphere »

One decision doesn't really stand for much when there were so many other decisions that were made for him. His decision had nothing to do with the plot of the volume, anyways.

All we can do is speculate about the future.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Maybe you should read it again, because by the end it's pretty clear Kyon is sick of being a pawn and wants to be more active in his own destiny.

It's the fact that he made that first decision that's important.
=Smidge=
Stratosphere
Astral Realm

Post by Stratosphere »

Smidge204 wrote:Maybe you should read it again, because by the end it's pretty clear Kyon is sick of being a pawn and wants to be more active in his own destiny.

It's the fact that he made that first decision that's important.
=Smidge=
He also made the decision to help Mikuru out if she were to be abused by Haruhi, but we all know he never lived up to that promise.
Deesies
Astral Realm

Post by Deesies »

It's still pretty clear he's becoming increasingly pissed off about being played as a pawn. If asahina(big) hand't already disappeared, he was about to lash out at her.
Umiman
Line Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: holy crap

Post by Umiman »

Anonymous wrote: Easy there. Said line is actually a joke, although admittedly an imageboard-centric one that you can't necessarily be expeceted to get. But don't take anon seriously :P
See!

That's what I mean.

Everytime something goes bad, it's always, "it was just a joke, get a sense of humour."

:roll:
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
Dragoon
Astral Realm

Post by Dragoon »

If Kyon futzes with the future enough, then it may break off from the present. Mikuru wouldn't have a future to "return" to, thus being forced to stay with Kyon and crew. This is especially possible if Kyon is The One and decides Mikuru is staying.

Kyon as a hidden power isn't cliche or predictable. If anything, the hints have been so subtle that you'd almost overlook it if I and certain others weren't such obsessive bastards about it :D

Looking forward to the next translations.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Stratosphere wrote:He also made the decision to help Mikuru out if she were to be abused by Haruhi, but we all know he never lived up to that promise.
I think there's a huge difference between the two cases. Kyon is not lacking in dedication, and it's likely he said that more as a gesture than a solemn promise.

Besides, at that point in the story he didn't know what he was up against.

Edit: (Sorry)
Dragoon wrote:Kyon as a hidden power isn't cliche or predictable.
Name one series where the young, otherwise perfectly normal male protagonist is thrust into a world of adventure beyond his imagination and didn't turn out to be the "key" to it all. For every one you can think of, I'll name three that do fit the cliché.

That route is about as predictable as the young girl with magical powers who's heart is split between a young boy in her class and the mysterious masked man, but doesn't know they're actually the same person. In fact, the "nauseating cliché" is the strongest argument for the Kyon theory...
=Smidge=
Deesies
Astral Realm

Post by Deesies »

Smidge204 wrote:
Name one series where the young, otherwise perfectly normal male protagonist is thrust into a world of adventure beyond his imagination and didn't turn out to be the "key" to it all. For every one you can think of, I'll name three that do fit the cliché.

That route is about as predictable as the young girl with magical powers who's heart is split between a young boy in her class and the mysterious masked man, but doesn't know they're actually the same person. In fact, the "nauseating cliché" is the strongest argument for the Kyon theory...
=Smidge=
IRT first paragraph; that's being somewhat vague. The protagonist is always the key to a story, that's what makes him the protagonist whether it be an adventure novel or romance.

In this instance, the most obvious development is that kyon is just a normal boy and it is indeed haruhi who has all the powers but doesn't know about it. Does this make the story any less cliche than if it were really kyon? After all, it's still the same core theme for the plot.

IRT second paragraph.; Maybe it's because I don't watch much anime but I've never heard of a story like that.
Stratosphere
Astral Realm

Post by Stratosphere »

For all we know, Kyon could be a slider and has yet to discover his powers.
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

Well wheither or not Kyon has power, we know that he is the Key to keeping the balance of everything. Mikuru(Big) said something along the lines that she "believes in Kyon" and the Universal something or other entity is well aware of Kyon as well. Of course Itsuki's organization clearly believes that Kyon can have effect on Harhuhi's moods. So Kyon is important, and we know he is going to do something in the future that doesn't agree with those that are currently his allies. Wheither it be him doing something or Haruhi's power going beserk due to something Kyon did we know that this is possible.
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

Even the rival esper girl who was with the kidnapping crew acknowledged Kyon and said it was an honor to meet him.
Deesies
Astral Realm

Post by Deesies »

Does it actually say she's an esper?

I can't remember seeing anything about her identity =o
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

I'm guessing. It doesn't seem she's an alien, and that time traveler didn't talk as if she was a time traveler as well.
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Kyon's the real god!

Haruhi's powers have to come from somewhere, and god forbid that it came from the gods at Tanabata.

Return to “Volume 7 - The Intrigues of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第七巻: 涼宮ハルヒの陰謀”