Tsuruya

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Guest lol
Astral Realm

Tsuruya

Post by Guest lol »

In volume 7, we discover that Tsuruya really did have treasure buried in that hill. But the things found were quite peculiar. The rod as described (from the picture) seems to be an object from the future which probably means that the Tsuruyas are decedents of time travelers. Who do you think made Tsuruya? I'm guessing that time travel gets invented around 2015-2025ish so maybe Tsuruya went back in time and became her own great great great (a few more greats) grandma!
Or maybe somebody from the future just dropped a item back in time.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

I'm not exactly sure what is up with her, but I'm not too sure its time travel.
shaula
Astral Realm

Post by shaula »

When did Tsuruya have time to
Spoiler! :
dig up the treasure, have it radiometrically analyzed, take and print pictures?
As far as I understand, Kyon only told her about it the night before, but she had results the very next day, and it was a school day, no less. Did she rush out there that night and pull an all-nighter and find an all-night laboratory? Or did I miss something timing-wise?
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Errr shes rich? Its possible. :P
Quiet Lurker
Astral Realm

Post by Quiet Lurker »

From "Snow Mountain Syndrome" it is hinted that Tsuruya's family is affiliated with Itsuki's Organization, which means that Tsuruya has access to quite a number of resources (which includes at least one hospital and it's facilities).

Of course, if the object in question is indeed from the future, this would be the first time anything person or thing has travelled beyond the Haruhi-induced time-quake (3.5 years before Chapter 7), thus this seems to support the theory that the object is alien in origin.

However the knowledge and interest Mikuru (older) and her time travelling organization has in the object seem to indicate that it's from the future. (They know where the object is buried and they want to make sure no one finds it.)

Of course, in my opinion, the most likely possibility is that the object is in fact created by Haruhi because of her desire to find buried treasure. :? This would be the first case in which her power alters the past due to a desire in the present. Haruhi altering the past without travelling through time would definitely interest Mikuru (older) and her organization.

Interestingly enough, Kyon didn't ask Yuki about the object (at least in this volume) since she would at least give him a clue about the object and its origin (confirm whether or not it's alien).
If Kyon doesn't tell Yuki about it, this would be the first time he actually hides anything from her. :)
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

You forget the possibility that Kyon doesn't seem to interested in the object, and dismisses it from his mind, or simply forgets about it as it's not harming him as he is now, more interested in how Haruhi will screw him up next.

He tends to do that quite often, not caring about things till it really affects him.
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Also, you have to think, you can't hide it from Nagato. She is aware of everything thats going on in the current time plane, save for people's thoughts (maybe even those too O.o).
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]

Post by HolyCow »

Volume 2 confirms the fact that Tsuruya has ties with the 'Organization'. And I agree that the object is alien, just not sure WHICH type of alien it originates from.
/me claws out throat and dies
Quiet Lurker
Astral Realm

Post by Quiet Lurker »

TheGiftedMonkey wrote:Also, you have to think, you can't hide it from Nagato. She is aware of everything thats going on in the current time plane, save for people's thoughts (maybe even those too O.o).
Nagato isn't as aware as you might think. :P
For example, in Volume 6 "Charmed at First Sight Lover," she wasn't aware of Nakagawa's abilities until she analysed him at the football game.

As well, in Volume 8
Spoiler! :
Nagato didn't know what was causing the sickness in the dogs until she does a careful analysis.
Thus it is quite possible to hide something from the alien. :twisted:

As for the last sentence in my previous statement:
So far Kyon is hiding all supernatural occurences from Haruhi, and he is hiding the existence of the Older Mikuru from Mikuru.
So far he has hid nothing from Nagato. : :wink:
dt
Astral Realm

Post by dt »

Actually, it seems that Nagato knew about that object long before Tsuruya dug it up.
Spoiler! :
Asahina-san (Michiru)and I had attempted to camouflage the original spot of the gourd-shaped rock, but if someone took the time to inspect it, they will find a lot of unnatural things there.

“…………”

For some reason, Nagato has already set up the mat exactly at that spot. She looked past the hair at the side of her face at me. Nagato didn’t do any code-like movements, just sat on the mat, silently reading.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

It could also be that she noticed the disturbance, and knows that Kyon was up to something with an alternate Asahina, and that something was out of place as usual. She definately knew something needed to be covered up, but this still does not imply she knew about the object itself.

She's very observant, does seem have the ability to "scan" the surrounding area looking for abnormalities and has the vast knowledge of the ISDE at her disposal, but that still falls short of omniscience.
=Smidge=
Deesies
Astral Realm

Post by Deesies »

sliders, weeee
quigonkenny
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by quigonkenny »

shaula wrote:When did Tsuruya have time to
Spoiler! :
dig up the treasure, have it radiometrically analyzed, take and print pictures?
As far as I understand, Kyon only told her about it the night before, but she had results the very next day, and it was a school day, no less. Did she rush out there that night and pull an all-nighter and find an all-night laboratory? Or did I miss something timing-wise?
While I admit the timing is a bit tight, this is Tsuruya-san we're talking about here. It's well established that she's effectively "Haruhi-lite." She's every bit as genki,
Spoiler! :
every bit as curious, and waaay more perceptive (the latter two being established this volume).
I have little doubt that she did, in fact, pull an all-nighter as soon as Kyon called, and then used her considerable resources to effect that "all-night laboratory." She is truly a formidable woman.
Umiman
Line Mage

Post by Umiman »

I disagree.

I don't think Tsuruya is Haruhi-lite.

She's more like Haruhi who knows everything that's going on and with enormous resources to use.

I believe Tsuruya was created as the character to identify what Haruhi would have been if she knew everything and to serve as a character foil and a plot-saver. Since hardly anything is truly known about Tsuruya, and since it has been established that Tsuruya has near unlimited funds, she can be employed to serve as deus ex machina whenever the author sees fit.
...Tg...g.g........... And Kol Ravensabbey cried,
..g...B...g........@.. "In Armok's name!!!!"
T...T..B..g........... And there was bloodshed.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

I agree that Tsuruya is, at least so far, a catch-all plot character. I don't think she knows everything, though. She definately knows more than she lets on, but if she knew everything about the SOS-Dan...

(Big Volume 7 spoiler...)
Spoiler! :
...I don't think she would have been so surprised about actually finding something with that map.
=Smidge=

Return to “Volume 7 - The Intrigues of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第七巻: 涼宮ハルヒの陰謀”