Beyond sarcasm?

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by HolyCow »

Erm, just so everyone knows, I'm not dead ;P After my last post (at about 5 pm Malaysia Time) I went for a dinner with one of my cousins who had just came back from Australia, and since it was pretty late when we finished I decided to stay the night there in KL.

Anyways, I don't blame Umi. I understand that he's concerned about the translation and I appreciate that. And don't worry guys, I'm not going to be that offended over some guy posting about my joke translation, since I kinda expected something like that to happen anyways. I just want all of you to know that it was done out of a good cause, no harm intended.

Now that that's cleared up, I guess it's time I'd start working on wandering shadow again. 52 pages left to go! xD

P/S: I have decided to remove the parody, for the sake of the site's reputation. It is also requested by other translators, so I think this is the best thing to do.
Last edited by HolyCow on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
/me claws out throat and dies
Kenotic
Astral Realm

Post by Kenotic »

HolyCow wrote: P/S: I have decided to remove the parody, for the sake of the site's reputation.
Personally, I think this is a wise move (it keeps lurkers and people who never saw Higurashi from getting confused) but it might still be fun to read under the FF section here. If Haruhi and Higurashi can't be parodied, nothing can....

Anyway, I agree also that Kyon isn't getting more sarcastic - his tone has just shifted. He's less antagonistic towards Haruhi and ass/Taniguchi and a little more towards Koizumi and Yuki's bosses.
Dragoon
Astral Realm

Post by Dragoon »

I can understand how he'd be getting irritated at Itsuki. Among all of the SOS dan, Itsuki is the one that has changed the least. He hasn't really shared many experiences with Kyon and hasn't opened up with his real personality very often. He comes across as a manipulative guy with a fake smile. His Agency dealings cast him in the light of a yakuza gangster more than a high-school student.

Kyon's just tired of it, maybe?

Itsuki could use some character development in a more positive light.
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Well, V1+2 = Haruhi based, V4 = Yuki based, V7 = Mikuru based, V9 or 10 based on Itsuki?
Anon
Astral Realm

Post by Anon »

Dragoon wrote:I can understand how he'd be getting irritated at Itsuki. Among all of the SOS dan, Itsuki is the one that has changed the least. He hasn't really shared many experiences with Kyon and hasn't opened up with his real personality very often. He comes across as a manipulative guy with a fake smile. His Agency dealings cast him in the light of a yakuza gangster more than a high-school student.

Well, while that is true its also to do with Kyon's inital reactions to the characters. Miruku has also manipulated Kyon quite a lot, without a lot of reason or explanation for it and at other times has shown that she cannot be depended upon in a time of need. But because Kyon is attracted to her, he is more inclined to overlook that, wheras Itsuki is seen (subconciously) as somewhat of a threat, so the reactions are more negative. Although that doesn't change the fact that Itsuki IS very fake and prone to manouvering and even bossing Kyon about.
Garstansinilliam
Astral Realm

Post by Garstansinilliam »

Anon wrote:
Dragoon wrote:I can understand how he'd be getting irritated at Itsuki. Among all of the SOS dan, Itsuki is the one that has changed the least. He hasn't really shared many experiences with Kyon and hasn't opened up with his real personality very often. He comes across as a manipulative guy with a fake smile. His Agency dealings cast him in the light of a yakuza gangster more than a high-school student.

Well, while that is true its also to do with Kyon's inital reactions to the characters. Miruku has also manipulated Kyon quite a lot, without a lot of reason or explanation for it and at other times has shown that she cannot be depended upon in a time of need. But because Kyon is attracted to her, he is more inclined to overlook that, wheras Itsuki is seen (subconciously) as somewhat of a threat, so the reactions are more negative. Although that doesn't change the fact that Itsuki IS very fake and prone to manouvering and even bossing Kyon about.
Its all about how they handle him. Yuki answers any questions Kyon puts to her. Mikuru flatetrs him, drippining bits of information bit buy bit, but flirting enough to stop Kyon getting resentful of her secretivness.
Koizumi lectures him, and ends up making him feel dumb, so Kyon doesn't listen to him, and puts his less value on his opinion.

Plus, I always thought that early on at least, Kyon felt a little threatened by Koizumi coming into his little harem.
Dragoon
Astral Realm

Post by Dragoon »

Plus, I always thought that early on at least, Kyon felt a little threatened by Koizumi coming into his little harem.
Itsuki just wants Kyon to accept him as part of the harem... he's simply jealous.

*grin*
Stratosphere
Astral Realm

Post by Stratosphere »

Kyon always throws half sarcastic insults. He just tends to be more aggressive with them when it comes to Itsuki.
Guest lol
Astral Realm

Post by Guest lol »

Koizumi isn't trying to get into the haren, it's just that the personality he's taken up is kinda on the metrosexual side.
Dragoon
Astral Realm

Post by Dragoon »

A joke only works if you don't approach it seriously :P

Return to “Volume 8 - The Indignation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第八巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憤慨”