Form 3?

Discuss topics concerning this volume

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Just stick with the original Japanese text to avoid confusion. Third year in middle high would do, please don't try to "localize" the terms, lads. While it would make sense for your culture, someone else would be confused further.
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

:evil: Ok, the IP address you were talking about, get over it, it's dynamic. It's probably someone within the region of my area which vandalized the wikipedia. IP are not freakin addresses or identification number of someone, although IPv6 could potentially qualify as an address, IPv4 isn't. And if I were a vandalizer, why the hell would I assume the same IP I used last time? So you could ban me faster? No, if I were smart, I'd use a proxy. Ok nuff said.

Definitions of an IP is a district number, the most accuracy you can do is to narrow an entire region of a particular area. IPs can only identify the exact location, so long as the IP holder has not switched, as in if the person does not turn off his computer.

:? It's not japanese Kinny, read my post again, it's from a chinese novel. Since the chinese translators may have sabotaged some of the terms. I wasn't too sure whether I could convey the similar meaning anyways. That's why I did refer to the lossy translations of japanese to chinese then to english. Because as the chinese translator, I'm not too sure if I misconveyed the meanings.

PS: Since I see that most of the volumes done, I'm going to be a hit and run.

PPS: My translations are based from the Kadokawa novels, since I find that the China translators dubious and even more lossy in quality than the Taiwan ones.

PPPS: I have edited in various places in the past, for spelling, punctuation and phun pun stab at HolyCow's fake translation. (Muahahhahaahhahaa, hey, that was a false translation, so even if I added a tid bit at the end, no one would notice, right right?!)

Final Declaration before I sabotage anymore, and I'll let godsmiddlefinger to do the rest as I think my translation style isn't working. A hint to my identity, I'm from Kawaii Heavens. So give credit to them, if needed.

XS: Er, those who haven't figured what's Kawaii Heavens, check in the Zero no Tsukaima translation area to see what I mean. Cheers, and I shall not talk/translate no more, cept probably stick in some grammatical/spelling/punctuation corrections.

XXS: (Reserved for Onizuka) You always call me a d4mn bot in KH, so do you know who I am now?
HolyCow
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by HolyCow »

Wow, that's one long post :shock:

Anyways, I think they were joking about the IPs and stuff, so no hard feelings dude~

And it's good to know that somebody actually bothered to tidy up the fake chapter, since all it was meant to was for laughs/entertainment/piss people off ;P
/me claws out throat and dies
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

:oops: I know I shouldn't have posted since I *supposedly* swore to go back into my hidey hole. But I just couldn't resist one last post when I compared my own translation to godsmiddlefinger. I am assuming (as I read some of godsmiddlefinger's previous posts) that he is using jap raws. And I can definately see the difference between the two, as I tried to constrain basically sentence to sentence translation. During lengthy descriptions or story parts. Accuracy of translation seems to drop by a good chunk, I'd wager a guess about only 60% of the original conveyed meaning. (Refering sample of the first few paragraphs of the Love Story of Kyon) Although the shorter sentences (after the introduction paragraph of the Love Story) seems to be much more accurate. :roll:

:P Hey, I learned alot. It was fun. Expecially I've been always wanting to try to prove my theory where two translations on the same text looses a lot of it's original meaning compared to a single translation.

8) Thanks for Godsmiddlefinger that he didn't blow out my translation despite no forewarning. Although my reasoning for not notifying was that, it was only a mere 2 pages of A4 translation compared to his (Oh I don't know how many).

:( And after reading GMF's translation, I could see there was even extra sentences added in the chinese version which assuming GMF didn't slice down the translations, did not appear. (Although the extra sentences are suspected to increase humor, and supposedly affect less of the original meaning, but during translation, I tend to put the same *weight* of translation on each sentence, thus resulting impairity. Since Kyon uses quite some sarcastic injections, and this particular author's writing style, I couldn't quite judge as accurately, whether that sentence was original and should be included [despite saying so, I successfully noticed a few sentences that definately didn't make sense if it stayed in the english translation, so I chucked em out, and it appears that in GMF's translation, they really never WERE there, they didn't make sense for english, it did make sense for chinese]. And I would probably attempt to write around to accomodate the extra sentences. It creates irregularity, which appears quite often my translation [try spotting it, it's mainly in the starting paragraphs] since I've added unnecessary details which actually ruins it.)

I give credit to HolyCow, since I know he's in the same boat as me, using chinese translations. (YOU ARE USING CHINESE RIGHT?)

:wink: Gah, I've spammed alot again. This stuff is *probably* useful for translators/editors/qualitycheckers. The rest of you which normally read the translations without having raws, that stuff is not really necessary. (Usefulness not guaranteed, muahahaha)
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

Yup, I can't read Japanese (Unless you count being able to identify all the Hiragana and some basic, lousy everyday expressions liked "USODA!!!!" ;P) so the only way I can translate is from chinese. The thing about it is, you can't really do word for word. Sometimes, I move an entire sentence backward, since it makes more sense that way. For those words/expressions that don't translate well into chinese, I put up a link to the discussion page, where I sometimes add a little note there.

One thing though: How did you know I was doing Chinese-English? O.o
Felin
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Felin »

^ You said so long time ago...this forum doesn't have many threads, so reading them all is not a real burden.
Don't ask me which one it was I have no idea, it's all from memory.
Making some money through links ;) click here here to know more.
Vaelis
Yuki Elf

Post by Vaelis »

HolyCow wrote:One thing though: How did you know I was doing Chinese-English? O.o
Felin wrote:^ You said so long time ago...this forum doesn't have many threads, so reading them all is not a real burden.
Don't ask me which one it was I have no idea, it's all from memory.
http://www.baka-tsuki.net/forums/viewto ... glish#6311
or
http://www.baka-tsuki.net/forums/viewto ... glish#8719
or
http://www.baka-tsuki.net/forums/viewto ... glish#4443

:twisted:
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

/me looks up

Stalker :shock:
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

stalker WTF?
Felin
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Felin »

Sorry mate im not a gay...muha :oops:

I'm just getting some exra posts count rofl

/joking off :lol:

err what's up doc?

/joking 2 off

man it's boring to wait for update...thanks god I have tons of games to play (like company of heroes it rocks)

In the end it's such a useless post but funny one, I think.
and no I'm not stalker...waiting for stalker the game though
Making some money through links ;) click here here to know more.
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

O.o

Didn't we just update like, 5 chapters, 3 days ago?
Narcissus
Astral Realm

Post by Narcissus »

Yeah he should stop complaining, I'm patiently waiting for another uber update from my favorite translator team ^_^.

Off-Topic: Holycow, your rena pictures made me curious enough to watch Higurashi. ITS AWESOME! :twisted:

I apologize for necroing this thread but I'm far too lazy to register.
typhonsentra
Astral Realm

Post by typhonsentra »

I was just kidding around about the IP thing, don't take it too seriously. It's pretty strange that you wanna remain anonymous though.
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

Anonymity has it's allure. :wink:

All I usually do is lurk on the forums and check on the translation progress on a daily basis, I don't really need to be much more involved than that.
HolyCow

Post by HolyCow »

@Narcissus: Higurashi rocks, eh? Rena is uber-awesome 8)

On a side note, my desktop was fried by a lightning bolt few days ago. I'm curently hooking upto the internet using my dad's laptop, but he'll probably be needing it for work soon. I'll try to get some updates posted now and then, but until my computer is repaired, I don't know when I'll be posting updates, so if you don't see me for a couple of days, it's not beause I'm dead or anything ;P

Return to “Volume 8 - The Indignation of Suzumiya Haruhi / 第八巻: 涼宮ハルヒの憤慨”