HAPPY 8th ANNIVERSARY!! An 8th of a Decade of Light Novels!

Updates, News on the Baka-Tsuki Project

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

wiseliu
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: HAPPY 8th ANNIVERSARY!! An 8th of a Decade of Light Nove

Post by wiseliu »

seriously? BT is that old? Congrats!! Talking about how i crashed into this place, i know this site since 2012, when searching about TAMNI. after downloading the android app, i begin to stalk this site everyday. my favourite project is Hakomari and TAMNI.
lolicon never die, the just shrunk
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

ePUB Generator <<Productive>> : BTE-GEN | Yay, I'm free. Let's see how long it takes for this place to go down.
R~S
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel: Index!

Post by R~S »

Got to BT around the time they started doing the Haruhi novels back in 2006 and stayed a lurker ever since.

Difficult to state a fav, but... I guess I can say Index triumphs everything all else :D

The amount of work BT has done in 8 years is crazy! Keep up the excellent work!
Baka-Tsuki discord server
shyevsa
Astral Realm

Post by shyevsa »

Woow its already 8 years...

happy anniversary!!!

from the log in my computer I've been visiting baka-tsuki since the end of 2006
I remember coming here to greet my Goddess, Suzumiya Haruhi sama....
and been lurking since then, reading random novel while waiting for the next translation to finish...
DarknessMetal08
Devoted Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by DarknessMetal08 »

First happy anniversary.

I found baka-tsuki years ago when I stumbled of upon sword art online but at the time I didn't know what a light novel was nor was I intersted in reading all that text. It wasn't until about 2012 that I came back to the site after learning and after learning the connection between light novel's, manga, and anime I dove right into the first light novel I knew about which was High School DxD. From the first chapter I loved it and before I knew it I couldn't stop until I read the first novel then next until I read them all. At the time translation was up to volume 13 with 14 coming out soon. After that I could help but read more even reading sword art online that skipped earlier. To pick a favorite is really hard to do, but at my top (at least for now) is High School DxD with other as close seconds. Thanks not only for the translations of this books and I wish you all the best of luck when translating and I look forward to more.
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Teh_ping »

8 years...certainly long enough to change a human's attitude to life.

There was once a young boy, wandering aimlessly on the internet, wondering what to do.

Guided by the light of the Goddess Haruhi, he stumbled upon a Shangri-La, one filled with the immature, quirky yet fascinating world of light novels.

There, he chanced upon the lesser Goddess Holo the Wise, and was quickly fascinated by the theories of economics, which so happened to apply to his learning. Curious, he decided to read on, initially reading it for the economics.

Week by week, he would visit the website to satisfy his curiosity, whether it was to marvel at the unique quirks of Haruhism, study the intricate workings of economics, or snack a few books here and there.

One day, he, driven by the desire to improve his English, started to type.

He sourced for the available series, wondering which one he should take. On a friend's advice, he decided to seek out a hidden dragon in Wolonggang. That series was called Shana, a feisty series that scorched any available talents. Only 3 were able to last more than one chapter, for it was an arduous journey, with the convoluted flow of grammar and the hazardous amounts of imagination required warding any suitors. One misstep through the sniper alley, and the jackels would have sniped anyone 7 ways to Sundays.

Through sheer willpower of working through it, during his A levels to wit, he successfully managed to take down one of the 25 checkpoints. Alas, it was such a pyrrhic victory, for he was only able to finish 3 2/3 volumes before weeping and bidding it farewell on its deathbed. Under the orders of Big Boss, Shana was sent to exile, and was imprisoned there for 2 years until it was released again.

Nearly losing his capitol due to the Nika Riots, the boy wandered around, on the brink of despair, chanced upon a series called Index. Innocent, altruistic (except when it came to food), and often AWOL, she often had to fight for screen time with a certain electric princess. The boy suffered through Part-time work, National Service, head-bites, hospital visits, electric zaps, near heart attacks, concussions, getting punched for seeing girls naked, and yet never gave up (though he did come close to it after being killed millions of times over and over in early 2011). That was when unexpected reinforcements came in, and the one-man army easily swept through 12 volumes in 6 months. The rest, as they say, is history in the annuls of Baka-Tsuki. The most memorable moment for this was the countdown to the completion of the old main series, where there was 24-hour spotlight on every translation update by the time volumes 2-5 were nearing completion. The obsession was nearly to the point of scouting and mock drafting in NFL drafts, and when the boy managed to finish volume 2, the celebratory atmosphere was no different from the Indianapolis Colts drafting Andrew Luck.

For years afterwards, the boy argued against the fanclub, putting up a fight he knew he had no chance of winning, with Index weeping as she watched on. Perhaps this battle could have been resolved earlier had the fanclub got up getting to work instead of simply complaining about the same things over and over again. Frustrated with the lack of support on his side, the boy did a ragequit on the project, removing himself from Index proper so that she can have her happiness. It would seem, however, that nothing can be done to appease the rowdy hooligans.

After conquering Stirling Bridge, he then turned his focus on the series of barbarians (or bodohs), where common sense in the RL world (the biggest yandere ever) would never come to pass. Amused by their antics, he decided to pick them up and establish a regiment for them in his army. They fought several battles, using their unique weapons of summoned beasts and baka madness to take down the hearts of many readers, many who have died laughing from the jokes they made. (One particular amusing case was a teacher's use of Yoshii Akihisa's answer here to introduce Shakespeare in a literature class, after the girls had studied through the downright depressing story of Animal Farm). Many scalps were collected, and the 2-F army continued to grow with the boy as the commander. Several wise ministers have joined, and yet fallen along the wayside in battle due to RL. The boy, mourning for their losses, kept fighting his way through, and all that is left for him now is the final official hurdle (though there seemed to be a secret boss).

While working on his conquests, a girl, one huge nerd of mecha, asked the boy if he would be interested in a series. The boy agreed, and in the next instance, was abducted to an island full of Amazoness, with a protagonist having the hormonal instincts of a neutron star the attraction in the zoo. This was the point where the boy had to adapt to his disability of typing with one hand, due to his other hand being practically plastered on his forehead at all times. The fans were vocal, so powerful that the series was cooled by the gales of winds they generated. Despite finding the story lame at times, the boy was able to continue walking, and put the series to the sword Kurezakura. Having finished the fight, the boy wondered when the next wave of enemies would arrive. There was political turmoil at MF Bunko, where an attempted coup d'etat from several employees resulted in them quitting and establishing a new company called Overlap. The story was so revolting however that the boy decided to just let a junior take over, while he proceed to handle the more arduous series available in the guildehouse.

Amusingly, this boy had become so famous that in the real world, an acquiantance of his, a staff member at the bookstore he often frequented, had made a preorder without the boy's consent. One had to wonder what unspeakable/intelligible language was running in the boy's mind.

Sword Art Online. This series propelled the boy to superstardom, with 24 hour live coverage on every single update made. The boy's skills were so highly demanded that there were 50k votes made on a certain forum in total before it was shut down. Spoilers everywhere, drama everywhere, death threats, assassination, mutilation of translators, wars between countries, tears, blood, sweat shed at will. One could imagine the boy wilting in agony as he witnessed the turbulent events of Westeros. After many assassination attempts on him, he was once forced to fake his death, prompting distress for his allies and delirium for his foes, only to return and conquer the land of Alesia, putting down the resistance led by Vercingetorix. When volume 9 was released, it was akin to the dramatized death of Juiius Caesar in Shakespeare, only that the boy remained alive. The gratitude earned for saving the peasants however would soon be for naught, as the foundations of the sacred temple was to fall apart on April 1st 2014, when the boy decided to put the series to the sword.

He once took up a dare, and ended up having to challenge a god.

He promised to work with a team, and ended up finishing everything else.

He expected only 5k views, and ended up having 2000 times that.

When the boy chanced upon a unicorn, he wondered if it was a knightmare. Unicorns in fables were often depicted as benign mystical creatures, graceful, pure, free. This Unicorn he met was anything but benign, and was a master of graceful destruction, free to indulge in the pure ruination it brought about. Bodies plastered everywhere, robots hijacked, minds getting read into; it really wasn't very pleasant. Clearly, nobody had told the author of this series about how unicorns are supposed to be like. While another series might be promoting friendship, this series promotes ideals, cynicism and lots of philosophical banter that felt more appropriate in a debate room than a battlefield. Now, 2 more hurdles remain on this 10km race, but will the boy be able to finish it in record time? Find out on the next episode...
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

I forget...
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

Nah~ 8 Years... Sure long time... Even with all the bad stuff people say about it, I hope that it still go long, and hopefully better :D
Call me Nurin!

Tap
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by Tap »

It's been eight years?
I feel old now for following BT since Haruhi, though this account was created only three years ago when I decided to help out with SAO.

It's always amazing how many books are translated here despite how each of them probably has several times the word count of a single season of anime.
And I still find it amazing that I managed to plod through three of those.

Seems like there are many who came for SAO here.
It'll be nice if that interest diffuse to the other series too; maybe even inspire a few new translators.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Ah, wow grats!

I think BT is my longest time of activity in a forum...

btw.

I found B-T while I searched in the web for some infos about the Haruhi novel - and found more than I looked for - I found a novel translation itself and more - the hope to see more translations of interesting Japanese novels...

(and I have still hope to see some or more glimpses of "The most irresponsible man in space aka captain Tylor", "Gakkou wo Deyou" or "Orphan" so that I can see for myself if they are worth the hype... ;))
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Swagish Ninja
Astral Realm

Post by Swagish Ninja »

Big fan of this site. I stumbled on this site four years ago I think and still remains the best site ever! I wish SAO was still on here but oh well and Outbreak company. You guys are the best though to put this site online. I internet high five you guys since no one else has thought of this ground breaking site.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Darklor wrote: (and I have still hope to see some or more glimpses of "The most irresponsible man in space aka captain Tylor"

ahhh...I love that anime! So good! Didn't know it had a novel! I wanna read it! :cry:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

onizuka-gto wrote:
Darklor wrote: (and I have still hope to see some or more glimpses of "The most irresponsible man in space aka captain Tylor"

ahhh...I love that anime! So good! Didn't know it had a novel! I wanna read it! :cry:
There's 9 light novels for the main series and some side stories. Then the sequel(?) called The Irresponsible Kids which is probably still running.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor -> 3 volumes
Irresponsible Admiral Tylor -> 3 volumes
Irresponsible President Tylor -> 3 volumes
The Most Irresponsible Man in Space Side Stories -> 6 volumes
The Irresponsible Kids -> 5 volumes

There's a manga version too called Love & War... and there's an ova series after the 26 episode anime. I think I gave you too much information. :shock:

8 years sure went by fast.
Anonymous192
Mikuru's Master

Post by Anonymous192 »

Late but...

I found BT pretty late, around early 2012. At first it was only SAO, as I was introduced by my best friend to it. Then, one day, I misclicked and accidentally opened Seirei Tsukai no Blades Dance... I started reading it just for the hell of it, and from there, I became an addict. Now, I'm reading many more LNs, and following everything I've read. My current favorite is pretty hard to decide, but I feel I'll have to stick with Mahouka.

This place really got me started in enjoying anime, manga, and the rest of the Japanese entertainment industry much much more than before. For that, I thank my friend who introduced me to this site, but most of all, the translators who did all of this work for us. Thank you all m( _ _ )m

Its hard to put what little feelings I have into words, they won't do them justice, so I'll just quit here.

Anonymous 192
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Hiro Hayase wrote: There's 9 light novels for the main series and some side stories. Then the sequel(?) called The Irresponsible Kids which is probably still running.

Irresponsible Captain Tylor -> 3 volumes
Irresponsible Admiral Tylor -> 3 volumes
Irresponsible President Tylor -> 3 volumes
The Most Irresponsible Man in Space Side Stories -> 6 volumes
The Irresponsible Kids -> 5 volumes

There's a manga version too called Love & War... and there's an ova series after the 26 episode anime. I think I gave you too much information. :shock:

8 years sure went by fast.

waaaaa......... I Need those!!!! :shock:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto

Return to “News”