Forum Cleaning and Board Restructuring

Updates, News on the Baka-Tsuki Project

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

cloudii
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Forum Cleaning and Board Restructuring

Post by cloudii »

Community Project: Clean Up Forums and Restructure Forum Boards!
This is one of cloudii's goals for Baka-Tsuki in Summer 2014

• We will decide on a new board structure, so it's easier for members to know where to post questions, etc.
  • Cloudii (along with anyone who wants to help) will start moving threads that were posted in the wrong boards to the appropriate boards. We'll also merge multiple threads that have the same topic.
  • In this thread, we will not talk about user group privileges. Talk about it somewhere else. ;D

Current Consensus Forum Structure:
  • {need to discuss!}
Why do this?
  • Reorganizing the forums was on the to-do list on Misogi's "Inaction Has Lasted Long Enough." However, it was never addressed. We're going to address this now. ;D

Why should we remake the board structure for the forums? First of all, I'm kind of tired seeing questions, suggestions, and posts showing up and cluttering the wrong boards. We don't have a clearly-cut "Put Your Questions Here" board, which is largely the reason for most of our mess. Also, I know that many members also wanted to reorganize the way the projects are grouped in the main content area. This is the right place to discuss this. :3

Once we pretty much reach a consensus we're satisfied with, I'll start bothering the right people and hopefully we can get the changes implemented. <3
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
cloudii
Project Translator

Re: Forum Cleaning and Board Restructuring

Post by cloudii »

My Suggestion:

==BAKA-TSUKI==
- Baka-Tsuki Rules & Conventions = Unified Format Guidelines
- Announcements = News
- Administrative Forum (SECRET!)
----> Internal Administrative Policies
- Feedback and Suggestions = Forum/Wiki Feedback
- Help Forum

==LN COMMUNITY==
- Future Project Suggestions
- Lingua Franca Lexicon
- Alternative Language Forum
- External Hosted Light Novels

==TRANSLATION PROJECTS==
- All Projects
----> {List of Featured Projects as sub boards}
----> Everything else gets tossed in the main board AnimeSuki style
- Completed Projects
- Abandoned Projects
- PDFs, MOBI, and EPUBs

==GENERAL==
- Commune
- Animes
- Games & Computing
- Manga & Light Novel
- Music & Culture

==SPECIAL==
- Original Light Novels
- Archives
- Other weird random boards

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm approaching this by wondering, what's the best board to put the following threads?
  • The most popular project toplist
  • Enlistment! Dedicated Project wide Editors wanted
  • Looking for an editor (and the billions of variations of these)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You'll also notice that my major suggestions are to do away with the teaser feedback sub-board. I strongly favor just one board to lump everything into. It's what animesuki does, and I think it just makes more sense that way. I also suggest replacing the concept of "Hosted Projects" with a general board to discuss light novels that aren't physically posted on Baka-Tsuki. The boundary between "hosted project" and non-hosted is too thin.
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

I'm OK with these suggestions.

Maybe Commune/Introduce yourself?
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

I like the layout as well.
Enlistment! Dedicated Project wide Editors wanted
Looking for an editor (and the billions of variations of these)
I take it that you don't want to put these under Lingua Franca Lexicon?

We could go the extra mile and make a sub forum for editors if we want to screen them or maintain a certain level of standard among editors. I mean this for dedicated editors or the project staff is looking for a specific quality in an editor or proofreaders.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Some modifications on my previous layout.

==BAKA-TSUKI==
- Rules & Conventions (= Unified Format Guidelines, locked with a reduced number of easy-to-understand threads)
- Announcements (= News, has the "most popular project" thread)
- Administrative Zone (Secret, policies set as sticky)
- General Help (= Half of Forum/Wiki Feedback, related to BT's way of working and organized in Q&A, with a FAQ for recurrent questions)
- Technical Feedback (= Half of Forum/Wiki Feedback, technical issues and BakaReader EX)

==LN COMMUNITY==
- LN Universe (= Half of the Manga & LN sub-forum, allowing us to discuss more general subjects and future releases)
- Project Suggestions (Removed the Future part, implying that the projects will be always started)
- Translation Assistance (= Lingua Franca Lexicon, aside that its role is extended to Editor recruitment)
- Alternative Languages (No changes on its structure, but general guidelines can be linked in the Rules & Conventions sub-forum)
- Audio Recordings
- External Translations

==ENGLISH PROJECTS==
- Available Projects (Featured projects as sub boards, the rest is tossed in the main board)
- Completed Projects
- Abandoned Projects
- Digital Releases (Less leecher-friendly, should have a link to the Technical Feedback sub-forum in a sticky thread)

==GENERAL==
- Commune
- Manga & Anime (Merged the two together, moved the LN part in the LN Community section)
- Games & Computing
- Music & Culture

==SPECIAL==
- Creative Works
- Other Boards
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Edit: I believe all items listed in this thread are now resolved (likely still a few more scattered in the forum not listed here).
----

I kind of like the current system where full projects (Aux) and teasers (Teasers) are split, because I have to scan through less threads to find the one I want (I usually know if it’s a teaser or full). But I’d probably be able to get used to a combined “all projects,” particularly if we make an effort to be a little more thorough in linking the forum thread from the wiki project page, meaning I can navigate on the wiki to find the forum thread reliably. So whatever, on to the meat of my post.

I went through and made a list of threads that I think could use some forum housekeeping; it’s possible some would disagree with my suggested method of handling a few of the categories. As someone in the editor user group, I could accomplish much of this with the moving ‘posts’ functions, but that’s a round about way of doing it that would also break some links. I think higher level mods should have “move topic” (and “lock topic”), which would be a better way.

I also highly doubt I caught everything in the forums, but this is probably a good chunk of it.

Move to Teasers from FPS
These are threads that have a teaser page on the wiki, but are still in Future Project Suggestions. Move to Teasers from Aux
These are project that got downgraded from full projects for not having one full volume, so I’d say they should be moved to Teasers. I suppose this is less important if the proposed reorganization goes through. In Teaser subforum, but no teaser page (suggested move to FPS)
From my understanding, after the policy changes this year, the Teaser subforum should be reserved for projects in the teaser category on the wiki. But I was one of the people pushing for that change, so I might be selectively remembering a consensus that wasn’t really there. Move to OLN Move to either Aux Brigades or Hosted
Hosted projects are annoying for categorizing... There are some other duplicate (hosted and non-hosted versions) threads I ignored in the below section because I don’t think we have a clear standard. Move to Abandoned Duplicates (across and within subforums)
These are duplicate thread for the same series, mostly across subforums, a few within a single subforum. I would guess the easiest way to handle these would be to just lock the older thread. Or in some cases, one of the threads only has 1 or a few posts (typically a newly created Teaser thread), and for those I’d say it would be best to delete/merge the thread with 1 post and move the other to the appropriate subforum (usually FPS to Teaser), though that might create some broken links on the wiki depending on how it’s done.
Spoiler! :
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4351
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4663

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5761
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6079

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4635
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6103

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6093
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5598

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6092
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5549

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6102 (first two both in Teasers subforum)
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5198 (first two both in Teasers subforum)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5148

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4788
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5474

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5660
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3632

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6076
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5701

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6119
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4896

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4890
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6053

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6036
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6038

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6094
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5944

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5946
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6060

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6080
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5629

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5468
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5459

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5564
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5195

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5067 (both in FPS)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5718 (both in FPS)

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4387
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4399

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5436 (both in FPS)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5000 (both in FPS)

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2189
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3559

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2597
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1621

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1238
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=202

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4451
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4665

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4690
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4698

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4592
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4637

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=753
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4324 (bottom two both in FPS)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2456 (bottom two both in FPS)

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3336
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2520

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3395
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3393

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2945
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2095

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3009
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2701

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6059
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5977
Change title
This is thread title is in moon runes, which is useless for most forum users. I believe it was done that way because both the romanji and English titles are too long, but I think it’d be better to use however much fits of the one of those two and end it with an ellipsis. (actually I could do this one myself, but I'll see if anyone objects)
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

...so many stuff to move. :(
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Minor suggestion if the general structure doesn't change too much: moving Auxiliary Brigades above the specific project subforums so that it takes less scrolling through thumbnails to reach the majority of the series threads.

There seems to be a push to convert to the AS style of the sub-boards being at the same level as individual threads within Aux Brigades; and that would make my suggestion not feasible/relevant anymore.
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

Moved pretty much everything.

Took one glance at the duplicates list and decided I was too lazy to do anything about them. xD

I also didn't change the title 'cause I was lazy.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Thanks cloud. Now that I figured out I was looking at the wrong moderator control panel, I can do things myself too. So I've started working on the duplicates; a little over halfway done right now, and I'll probably come back to it later.

Edit: Finished with the duplicates and chose to rename the one thread.

Edit2: I went through the threads in a more structured way (alphabetizing a list of all threads from all the main forums), so I got most of the duplicates. My motivation did start to run out towards the end, so I never bothered looking up the threads for the following possible duplicate threads, if someone else wants to find, check, and merge if necessary.
Spoiler! :
Muv-Luv Alternative – Total Eclipse
MuvLuv Alternative -Schwarzesmarken-
MuvLuv Alternative -Schwarzesmarken-: General
Muvluv Alternative

Neon Genesis Evangelion - ANIMA
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Ayanami Rei Ikusei Keikaku

Shigofumi: ~Stories of Last Letter~
Shigofumi: Letters from the Departed

Strike Witches - Suomus Iranko Chuutai Ganbaru
Strike Witches
Strike Witches: Suomus Misfits Squadron
Also, I didn't bother looking if this issue has been discussed elsewhere, but the Kara no Kyokai subforum is in Abandoned, even though the project has been restarted.
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

Bringing this up again. I have clearance to restructure the forum boards. Any comments or suggestions should go in this thread.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

I think some of the new board structure might be a little too deep, by which I mean more subforums than necessary. We don't really have all that much activity right now, so the extra segregation of threads probably isn't as important.

So I do think many of them can be removed, but if still keeping the subforums, at least I think the actively used threads should be in the topmost forum; an example is the "I am flagged as a spambot" thread should be in "General Help" rather than General Help's subforum "Bug Reports and Technical Help." I spent a few minutes trying to find it, and that one in particular should be the first thing an unfamiliar user can find.
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

Cthaeh wrote:I think some of the new board structure might be a little too deep, by which I mean more subforums than necessary. We don't really have all that much activity right now, so the extra segregation of threads probably isn't as important.

So I do think many of them can be removed, but if still keeping the subforums, at least I think the actively used threads should be in the topmost forum; an example is the "I am flagged as a spambot" thread should be in "General Help" rather than General Help's subforum "Bug Reports and Technical Help." I spent a few minutes trying to find it, and that one in particular should be the first thing an unfamiliar user can find.
Will get to this later. But yes, I see what you mean. Can probably toss out most of the extra subforums.

Return to “News”