Three months later... (2nd P.N.B-T.E.O.C.C.C.P)

Updates, News on the Baka-Tsuki Project

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Three months later... (2nd P.N.B-T.E.O.C.C.C.P)

Post by Misogi »

The last meeting did improve BT's situation. However... seeing the list of issues, they are less serious, but still numerous.
Some of them remain unresolved from the last meeting, hence this second operation.

Feel free to add remarks or other issues, this post will be regularly updated.

Code: Wiki - Forum - Both - Other

----

Community Level

Project Status
In order to easily check a project's status, Smon and cloudii made this template, with monthly updates led by a bot.
However, its function isn't perfectly clear (active projects not tagged, while others are), and there may be particular cases to consider (projects up to the latest available volume, teasers). Global check advised.

Categories
Even though there are new rules of categorization (Teasers, Full Projects, Hosted/Linked), some projects have the wrong categories put on them. Global check needed.
For the other ones, only the Publisher, perhaps the Author and Illustrator are really necessary. Some projects can be hard to classify by genres.

Community Level, Oni may be required

Rules & Guidelines
For the wiki, cloudii is taking care of them, they are almost finished. Moreover, the most important ones should be added in the navigation bar, which isn't updated (for now) and clear.
For the forum, listing and checking them is necessary for the forum's reorganization (see below). All the rules and guidelines are scattered or hardly found.

Oni Level, TLG may be required

Groups' Reorganization
Remove inactive users from all the existing groups.
Add active and trustworthy users (especially Global Moderators).
Allow to ban and unban users for specific groups.
Create new Translator and Editor groups for Alternative Language Contributors.
Add the option to send PMs to the Translator no Roukou and Fringe Security Bureau groups. Maybe removing the Seitenkan Cult and the Tsukaima Legion?

Forum Reorganization
Everything is discussed here. A new layout would make BT much clearer.
The German sub-forum may be removed, due to a lack of activity. Topics should be moved in the ALF.

TLG Level

Forum Text Format
Adding the option to resize pictures and strike through text.

Baka-Tsuki Blog
Simon was appointed as its supervisor, and Kira is adding new contents.
Putting aside the contributors and the layout (Wordpress), the takeover is impossible without the admin's logins.

View Counter
It doesn't work due to Page Caching. In that case, perhaps it'd be better to outsource it.
Simon proposed Google Analytics or Piwik. He can use his server, if it's impossible to add it on BT's server.

Purge of all members created before 2014 and without a single message.
No sign of a purge that was supposed to be done six weeks ago... which has some consequences related to spamming.

Post Moderation
Guest posting still disabled in some sub-forums, impossible with some mail providers (live). See below.

Registration Issues
There are less spambots than before, but we got registration problems instead.
For the forum, an user-friendly captcha is needed for registration and guest posting. KeyCaptcha was mentionned, and a phpBB version of Akismet can also be added. I fear that some members were discouraged to register due to all the mess.
For the wiki, KeyCaptcha is also compatible.

Sidebar
The new sidebar seems to be unpopular, some ideas were mentionned to make it less unpractical.
Hiyono proposed to add a dynamic sidebar, akin to bookmarks. It requires an account, but that inconvenient may bring some benefits (more members).

Wiki Caching
It doesn't work like before, modifications aren't immedaitely taken into account.
This is really problematic while editing chapters.

Server Issues
There hasn't been a month without a crash, and this month's ones were pretty long.
Optimisation, fallback plan, technical issues... everything should be checked in order to avoid downs as much as possible.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
hayashi_s
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Three months later... (2nd P.N.B-T.E.O.C.C.C.P)

Post by hayashi_s »

regarding the sidebar, I believe ping already said only tlg can implement the change, so it might be a moot point until someone gets a hold of him. Personally I don't believe anons will sign up just to change their viewing experience.
Alice is my waifu

wiki page
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

hayashi_s wrote:regarding the sidebar, I believe ping already said only tlg can implement the change, so it might be a moot point until someone gets a hold of him. Personally I don't believe anons will sign up just to change their viewing experience.
That's the goal, as TLG can solve most of the problems. Well, the sidebas was nice for users, but not practical in the long term.
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
vallor
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]
Favourite Light Novel: 変態王子と笑わない猫。 (Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.)

Post by vallor »

I agree with all that have been said, except one point: why would we need different groups for translators and editors from alternative languages? I don't get it...

As for the wiki sidebar, the alphabetic one we had a while ago was good I think. It was better than the current one in any case. Reguarding the dynamic one, maybe it is a good choice, but as you said, only TLG can do it.
Maybe removing the Seitenkan Cult and the Tsukaima Legion?
L.O.L. Club should be removed as well then. I mean, I asked a year ago to join it, but I still don't have an answer, so I guess this group is inactive, and so useless.
French Editor and Translator

What I'm doing very very slowly
----------
Yevgeny Yevtushenko wrote:Translation is like a woman. If it is beautiful, it is not faithful. If it is faithful, it is most certainly not beautiful.
Devenk83
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Devenk83 »

vallor wrote:I agree with all that have been said, except one point: why would we need different groups for translators and editors from alternative languages? I don't get it...
Because somes peoples can mistake us for JP/CH->EN translators when we are not.
Ancien traducteur amateur EN/FR / Ex-Amateur EN/FR Translator
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

Wiki

Code: Select all

Categories:
If I add [[Category:Light novel (English)]] to the project page, it directly goes under 'Main Project'. Nothing like previous where the Custodian added the project on Sidebar as a full approval to Main Project.

Now taking the example of Mushoku Tensei here. The project has 'Pending Authorization', 'Teaser' and 'Category: Light Novel' tags ... among others.

I am confused. The project is everywhere. What to consider? It is a hosted ... more specific term 'Affiliated' (as per the guidelines) with 2 volumes complete.

Code: Select all

Genre:
I consider the Genre tags completely useless. It makes the bottom of the page too crowdy. Some projects have 6-7 tags. We have the 'Publisher', 'Author', 'Genre', 'Distributor' tags + 'General Approval'. Not to mention will have more of 'Active', 'Stalled', 'Abandoned' as Simon and Cloudii are working on it (Auto-bots).
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

vallor wrote:I agree with all that have been said, except one point: why would we need different groups for translators and editors from alternative languages? I don't get it...

As for the wiki sidebar, the alphabetic one we had a while ago was good I think. It was better than the current one in any case. Reguarding the dynamic one, maybe it is a good choice, but as you said, only TLG can do it.
Maybe removing the Seitenkan Cult and the Tsukaima Legion?
L.O.L. Club should be removed as well then. I mean, I asked a year ago to join it, but I still don't have an answer, so I guess this group is inactive, and so useless.
What Devenk said.

And for the groups, I was only speaking of those available in the PMs' interface.

@chancs: I'll add that.
----
Simon
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Simon »

About that template, the contents are a bit different than what I was told.

Gonna do a quickfix so it will display all values. Also, does someone know where Cloudii is ?
ePUB Generator <<Productive>> : BTE-GEN | Yay, I'm free. Let's see how long it takes for this place to go down.
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

I have received a report that the cat captcha on the wiki is not working.
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

I'm here~ (but barely alive). lol xD

I'll finish up guidelines/rules for the second general meeting. It'll probably be faster to vote on them there.

Anyone interested in writing an email to TLG to inform him apart the part 2? Presumably, we'll be holding this on IRC again. Once TLG is aware of this going on again, we'll schedule an meeting date for #Baka-Tsuki on Rizon. Hopefully, let's make this happen in July.
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

The faster, the better. I won't be here from the 12 to the 19, so...

Anyway, I'll send this mail (even though I'm dealing with a deadline atm).
----
Hiro Hayase
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Hiro Hayase »

Btw when's the next meeting? Time zone? Oh its TBA, never mind then. :o

Also, quite a number of have expressed their desire for there to be a separate Baka-Tsuki webpage for tablets/mobile devices. A number of projects display the volume covers on the main project which in turn increases the loading time for mobile devices or tablets. This is not a pressing issue atm, just putting it out there.

Another reason for Alternative Project Editors and Translators: It is also hard keeping track of who's what with our growing members.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

I'm out starting from July 10th.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

Any news on this?
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
hayashi_s
Senior Project Translator

Post by hayashi_s »

None. I hope something happens soon though, I'm not going to be available for discussion in the near future.
Alice is my waifu

wiki page

Return to “News”