Campione! has been DMCA'ed

Updates, News on the Baka-Tsuki Project

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Campione! has been DMCA'ed

Post by Teh_ping »

Okay folks, as you may infer from the title, Campione! has been DMCA'ed by Shueisha, the Japanese publisher for the series.

Super Dash Bunko is a LN imprint under the Shueisha brand, and notable series under it are Rokka no Yuusha and Kurenai.

If you don't know what DMCA is, please refer here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_M ... yright_Act. Of course, Baka-Tsuki servers are based in USA, so the site is under US jurisdiction.

As of 0310 GMT, Big Boss (thelastguardian) received an email from the publisher to take down all offending pages immediately. Notably, this has never happened before, and the pages include all language versions. (Rest omitted for privacy sake)
"Dear Sir/Madam,

I certify under penalty of perjury, that I am an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the intellectual property rights and that the information contained in this notice is accurate.

I have a good faith belief that the page or material listed below is not authorized by law for use by the individual(s) associated with the identified page listed below or their agents and therefore infringes the copyright owner's rights.

I HEREBY DEMAND THAT YOU ACT EXPEDITIOUSLY TO REMOVE OR DISABLE ACCESS TO THE PAGE OR MATERIAL CLAIMED TO BE INFRINGING.

This notice is sent pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), the European Union's Directive on the Harmonisation of Certain Aspects of Copyright and Related Rights in the Information Society (2001/29/EC), and/or other laws and regulations relevant in European Union member states or other jurisdictions.

>>
>>
>>

*** INFRINGING PAGE OR MATERIAL ***

Infringing page/material that I demand be disabled or removed in consideration of the above:

Rights Holder: Shueisha
As of 0445 GMT, the information was relayed to the Executive Council, and orders were made to remove all pages immediately.

As of 1110 GMT, all fan works relating to Campione! were taken down as per demand. This not only extends to the English versions, but to all alternate languages. Fan translators, please contact hayashi_s for additional queries.

As aforementioned, this has never happened in the history of Baka-Tsuki, where the Japanese publisher would initiate a take down of all offending pieces. Typically, we will give leeway to any series that is licensed, and only expedite it immediately when there is a Cease & Desist. This is way beyond that of a Cease & Desist, and left with no choice, the series was abandoned as per demand.

Q: What will this mean for the translators?

A: As far as we know, zzhk will continue with 'The Leviathan of the Covenant', but we have no indication of what will happen to the other translators.

Q: What will this mean for the other series under Super Dash Bunko and Dash X Bunko?

A: As far as we know, we have yet to receive any DMCA for the other series under the label (please refer to the first line for notable series).

Q: Will this mean other publishers will begin to do the same?

A: We do not know. As of right now, the only thing we know is that Campione! is the only series that was specified.

For any further queries, please PM me personally, thank you.

Additional note: Stop asking us to contact the publisher. The notice was enough to get Big Boss to come out of hiding just to make contact with the Executive Council. Enough with the denials.
TheCatWalk
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Campione! has been DMCA'ed

Post by TheCatWalk »

yeah simon caught me :roll:
Anyways I'll just say i'm not sorry and as per the usual question,
Can't you post the general minutes of the discussion?
I feel like i have some bug stuck on my spine until i get some satisfaction.
MAIN HEROINES FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!NYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Shadowys
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Zero No Tsukaima

Post by Shadowys »

I agree. If we are able to be DMCA'ed for any official commercialized translated series that have not yet been published, then it is pointless to continue hosting this on US soil, or baka-tsuki in general.

I would like to see the evidence for infringing on copyright, if there has been any previous, published official commercialized version of the novel that has been outright copied in one way or other in the Baka Tsuki Website, and how the executive council arrived at the decision.
Winter's the time of the year,
when the cold chill the skin,
from the very within,
but you grasped my hand,
your eyes shedding a frozen tear.
Our eyes met,
and warmth filled the air.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

^
This has always been possible, it's not something new in that sense, this is just the first time it happened. It seemed like Shueisha just doing a general sweep of of their works and BT got hit randomly. Of course, I can't know for sure that's true, but for now I'm personally considering this a freak occurrence and not expecting any more. Also, exec council's job is to interpret existing policy and approve new as necessary, if the big boss says "we got a dmca, time to remove the stuff" (paraphrased) then there is not a lot of room for interpretation there; but regardless of specific instructions, taking down at the copyright holder's request is part of the bt common agreement.
Rage_Ender
Sailor Tsuki
Favourite Light Novel: Mondaiji; Campione; Mushoku Tensei; Black Bullet

Post by Rage_Ender »

Uguuu..... now I really need to learn japanese don't I. but srsly, this is so sudden. *sighs* I really liked that series, it's one of my favourites even. I don't think an English translation is even going to be happening, and even if an official translation was made, I don't think it'll catch up and I don't think my region is able to buy the official English translated light novels.
dun dun dun..>!!!!!!<
Indekkusu
Astral Realm

Post by Indekkusu »

Shadowys wrote:I agree. If we are able to be DMCA'ed for any official commercialized translated series that have not yet been published, then it is pointless to continue hosting this on US soil, or baka-tsuki in general.

I would like to see the evidence for infringing on copyright, if there has been any previous, published official commercialized version of the novel that has been outright copied in one way or other in the Baka Tsuki Website, and how the executive council arrived at the decision.
I hope you are aware that the original author/rights holder have the "Right of Translation".
Kemm
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kemm »

Does anyone think Campione! will be released in Global Bookwalkers? The announcement of the portal and the DMCA notice have come very close in time...
serinvax
Astral Realm

Post by serinvax »

So are there any non-baka-tsuki means of obtaining what has already been translated, for personal satisfaction? I was halfway through the series, and unless I learn to read nihongo I think the likelihood of me being able to finish it is low... this makes me very frustrated.

In the future, is there any way to get a little warning that the content will be taken offline? any feed we can sign up for and scramble to get our fix before it goes away?
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

I believe this thread has served its purpose of explaining why all versions of the Campione translation project were taken down. Hence, the thread will now be locked.

No more complaining, please. If the owner of a series doesn't want translations of it to be publicly available, so be it. Don't forget who created the stories you enjoyed in the first place. Without the publisher, there wouldn't be a Campione light novel or anime adaptation at all.

Naturally, the internet is vast and plentiful, so feel free to find other sources at your own leisure, but please do not share them openly at Baka-Tsuki.

Since DMCA deletions have to be as prompt as possible, otherwise, noncompliance could get the entire site taken down by the host, advance warnings are not feasible. Just remember that nothing stays on the internet forever, so save copies whenever you encounter something you like.

Return to “News”