Server down

Updates, News on the Baka-Tsuki Project

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Kinny Riddle
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Server down

Post by Kinny Riddle »

This is to report on yet another server malfunction.

I'm on one of my routine editing of the Clannad SEEN files, and upon clicking save, first it gives me the usual crap about "too much session data" when the text file is huge, which I normally resolve by clicking save again, only that this time 90% of the file has been WIPED OUT for unknown reasons. Feeling annoyed, I went to history in order to rollback the error, and infuriatingly, the stupid server had to malfunction now of all the times.

F*ck it, I'm going to go to sleep, can someone please do the rollback for me once the server's back on again? The file is the Sunoharas Sibling SEEN. It should have 5000+ lines, not 500.
thelastguardian
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by thelastguardian »

On the other end of the spectrum, for the past 2 days I have been monitoring a condition in which a certain individual is once again mirroring the whole site (and ignoring my robots.txt, to boot), and taking the server down occasionally.

I am usually very lenient at these sorts of stuff, but not when the server load get push up to ~25 for 2 days straight. (normally, it's .3 to 3)

I have 3(4) options-
1. Pay more money to get a real server (hahaha)
2. Turn off pdf output (heaviest load on server)
3. decrease concurrent connection count per IP (right now its 4, which is already lower than optimal)
4. Ban the idiot's IP

Guess which one I just did?

Of course, the person can always try again from another IP; if that happen, I will be disabling the PDF function.

As for Kinny, sorry about that :/ I can't promise you to get your data back, but I will try.

Edit: Nevermind, it seems the database finally rebuild its' Recent changes page after the load was taken off.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

good riddance! :)

But i have to ask, what is the point of mirrors the entire site? Is there a real benefit?

And how would disabling the pdf function stop this from happening?
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
thelastguardian
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel:

So that the person can view the site content when the server is down/slow, probably.

Since people don't bother to tune their crawl bots to exclude the Build PDF link, the bot will attempt to visit all the mentioned PDF links.

Building PDF is a very server intensive operation. By disabling PDF, it allows the server to function at an acceptable speed even when people are mirroring it.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

didn't even know we had a pdf function. never used it, i don't think i'll miss it if you do turn it off. :)

oh, what's up with your title?

Are you hiding?! Stop hiding! Everyone knows who you are Big Boss! :roll:

:mrgreen:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
thelastguardian
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel:

I never like the bold print anyway :)
Zyzzyva165
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Was there something wrong with the server yesterday? I couldn't load baka-tsuki.org the whole day.
"Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

I had some trouble as well...and it's always depressing to wait a whole day, only to come back after that time to see practically no postings in the forums.../sigh
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Same for me. Didnt load the sites proper for ca. 24-36h, but always with an error message. What was the reason? Was the server really for 24-36 hours down? Or is this only perceived passed time? ;)
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Zyzzyva165

Post by Zyzzyva165 »

Krikit wrote:I had some trouble as well...and it's always depressing to wait a whole day, only to come back after that time to see practically no postings in the forums.../sigh
:lol: :lol: :lol: HAHA...Looks like I wasn't the only one with such sentiments. :D
"Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a man, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle."
b0mb3r
Taiga's Sword
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by b0mb3r »

Zyzzyva165 wrote:
Krikit wrote:I had some trouble as well...and it's always depressing to wait a whole day, only to come back after that time to see practically no postings in the forums.../sigh
:lol: :lol: :lol: HAHA...Looks like I wasn't the only one with such sentiments. :D
i feel the same. so to starting making up a day lost is to post one here

baka baka baka
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Hello comrade-citizens.

I have received word from our beloved Big Boss regarding the temporary server issues,

The web software, lighttpd crashed. Still investigating reason why.......

Several Hours later....

Somehow the php scripts were stuck, and lighttpd for whatever reason didn’t terminate them. I don’t see any errors from the server log, so I am guessing it’s some sort of bug in lighttpd. Still investigating. In the mean time, I have restarted the http process.

If anyone think they have any ideas as to how this mysterious "lighttpd" might of glitch, I'm welcome to relay them to the Big Boss.

@Onizukademongto
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Was the server down? I wonder because I couldnt connect for some time and feared a little that they know have snatched the server and it could be the end...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
chrnno
Line Mage

Post by chrnno »

I couldn't access it either so it was most likely down.
Can I say something about destiny? Screw destiny! If this evil thing comes we'll fight it, and we'll keep fighting it until we whoop it. 'Cause destiny is just another word for inevitable and nothing's inevitable as long as you stand up, look it in the eye, and say 'You're evitable!'
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Baka-Tsuki Ninja Shrine Maiden Witch hunting Bug Hunters, have detected a Ghost in The wiki which we suspected caused the server to go offline for a moment.

It is being addressed and...the loli's are losing, I have requested backup from HQ.

For further information or comments please refer to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3201

@Onizukademongto

Return to “News”