C&D letter from Hachette Book Group

Updates, News on the Baka-Tsuki Project

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: C&D letter from Hachette Book Group

Post by Teh_ping »

Well, I dont hate them for licensing it, but it feels kinda sad. Aint the end of the world though.

So, let me confirm this, the series affected now are Haruhi, S&W, ZnT and Shana? If there isn't any other series to be licensed, I'll probably jump to Index.
thelastguardian
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by thelastguardian »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
thelastguardian wrote: soft copies and hard copies are very different things...
I am assuming that if you translated a book, you must have the original book with you. So in a sense, you paid the original copyright holder already. As long as you don't distribute its derivative work to the public, what you do with the work is your own business.

Derivative works for personal use are allowed by law, as far as I know. I am not a lawyer, so don't take my words for it.
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

K, that's all that's licensed right? The only worry that I have for companies to license them is that they would release the series rather slowly.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

thelastguardian wrote:
ShadowZeroHeart wrote: soft copies and hard copies are very different things...
I am assuming that if you translated it, you must have the original books with you. So in a sense, you paid the copyright holder already. As long as you don't distribute its derivative work to the public, what you do with the work is your own business.

Derivative works for personal use are allowed by law, as far as I know. I am not a lawyer, so don't take my words for it.
Yes i do have the original books, and the difference is, firstly, how do you intend to let them prove if they bought the book? with a receipt? secondly, they might still spread it around, so its best to just say that you wont be sending them around.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Yes i do have the original books, and the difference is, firstly, how do you intend to let them prove if they bought the book? with a receipt? secondly, they might still spread it around, so its best to just say that you wont be sending them around.
We can't prove it. There's too many sources out there on the internet. It's impractical to show the receipt as evidence that we bought it, and not many people keep receipts.

And even if we have it and show the receipt to them, proving that we bought it ourselves, it shows that we are able to understand the language it is in, which means there's no reason why we should be translating it in the first place.

At this point, nobody's going to believe that we're not sending the scripts around. As long as we already uploaded it, it is already prey to pirates.
ShadowZeroHeart

Yes, it is prey to pirates, but lets try to get ourselves off the hook, and that B-T wont be the medium to spread them around...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Teh_ping
Editor-in-Assistance

Post by Teh_ping »

Ya, otherwise it wont be just these series that will be down...... God knows what will happen to everyone if this isn't done. Just wondering if it is a must to remove ZnT and Shana?
Kinny Riddle
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Kinny Riddle »

Wait a moment, these guys may own the distribution copyrights of the Haruhi novels, but surely they don't own fan-derivative works? Especially the once popular GenderBending project.

You may have taken Yuki away from us, but you will not take Kyonko! :twisted:

Oni, at least get that brief fan project back up, just for laughs even if it won't be updated anymore. :mrgreen:
ShadowZeroHeart

Kinny Riddle wrote:Wait a moment, these guys may own the distribution copyrights of the Haruhi novels, but surely they don't own fan-derivative works? Especially the once popular GenderBending project.

Oni, at least get that brief fan project back up, just for laughs even if it won't be updated anymore. :mrgreen:
If i recall... the genderbend was to prevent this issue... but i am not sure whether it is effective to begin with... so tlg makes the last call on this i believe.

P.S. if they licensed some volumes, but never got to publishing them, then what happens?
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

Kinny Riddle wrote:Wait a moment, these guys may own the distribution copyrights of the Haruhi novels, but surely they don't own fan-derivative works? Especially the once popular GenderBending project.

They own enough of it that we can't really distribute it. They couldn't distribute it themselves, because we also own a portion, but we have no real rights of our own to it, since it uses their characters and setting.

Unless you could argue it's a parody, for parody is a protected form of work. And, being that all the genders are reversed, you might just call it a parody.

So it could swing either way, depending on whether or not you want to risk it.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
FNX
Edit-Translator [101-AETB]

Post by FNX »

But it is just fanfiction, i guess that is just off limits for them since its user generated content
La unica manera de medir la vida es por medio de la pasion de vivirla...
Beware the talking cat
Dot Mage

Post by Beware the talking cat »

FNX wrote:But it is just fanfiction, i guess that is just off limits for them since its user generated content
In case you didn't know, fanfiction is technically illegal.
Far more illegal when it's adapted nearly line for line from a book.
Administrator
Archnemesis of the name changing guy.
FNX
Edit-Translator [101-AETB]

Post by FNX »

Beware the talking cat wrote: In case you didn't know, fanfiction is technically illegal.
Ive never heared of it, any base for that? (not that I cant believe you, just asking)
La unica manera de medir la vida es por medio de la pasion de vivirla...
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

You can believe it, it is, because (most) fan fiction uses unauthorized the settings and characters of others aka copyrighted work...
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Bloody hell. I checked my inbox 2 days ago, seven messages. Nothing that can't wait for the weekends.

Checked this morning, friggging overfilled it with 50 new ones, I get it! I'm here!

I assumed The Big Boss has already removed both Haruhi and Spice & Wolf from the wiki (haven't checked yet, on mobile)

Have yet to speak to the Boss directly, but conclusions are clear,

If you haven't got a copy of the latest scripts, then you are out of luck.

Sorry too slow! *weeps to himself*

Dammit! >_<

Which answers the following, not even I, have access to the scripts, so matter how much you all try to spam my inbox, no I cannot get you a *final* copy.

Two,

All current alternative languages derived from our "fan-contributed-translations" are not affected by this letter, so go forth, be free, keep working! *whip the floor*

All other English projects, such as....erm....others....that are not mentioned in this letter, can also carry on. (Unless the Big Boss mention otherwise) we aren't the big bad pirates of the Seven Seas as always all projects are still subjected to the locking policy unless specified. (By you know what)

Please do not scare yourself, its not the end of the world, be honoured that we made the legal department of this....book group I've never heard off, do their job and earn some money. (Its a tough job market out there you know!)

Three. I ran out of things to say, I'll get back to you all, after I finish clearing out my inbox, contact the Big Boss directly, check on the wiki, finish sitting on the loo, find my way home, (find a perm job?), chase after girls in the club and beat a badger (probably) etc etc etc.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto

Return to “News”