Update on the translations

Updates, News on the Baka-Tsuki Project

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Lery
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Update on the translations

Post by Lery »

If Otaria means "Omae o Otaku ni Shiteyaru kara, Ore o Riajuu ni Shitekure!" then we could take it out of the "dead" projects ^^''''

I must say that Mangaupdates is pretty accurate and I use it a lot. They sometimes even know about some translations impossible to found anywhere on the internet, but which do really exist.
Wiki user : Lery (talk)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

So, starting today, I'll be maintaining all of BT's updates on an external MySQL database.... daily (I hope). All the entries are basically pulled from mangaupdates.

I have an application that will print the recent updates and divide them into activity categories semi-automatically (merely copy-paste action from php-generated code).

Please view them here: Proposed Main Page

This proposed main page would have an <include> to a projects page that has a hidden section that lists the most recent updates in the past two weeks. Only the projects page would need to be updated daily with a copy-paste from the code generated from the database.

That projects page would be here: Proposed Projects Page

Feel free to check these links if you're interested in knowing the most recent updates. I'll be maintaining them myself as a pilot study for the time being. If BT Admins like it enough, maybe it could be official? Naturally, I'll provide all the forms for adding new updates, editing updates, etc, if people are interested. Suggestions are welcome too.
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Cloud where is the topic thread to discuss the proposed new main page? I forgot where it went.... :oops: :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

onizuka-gto wrote:Cloud where is the topic thread to discuss the proposed new main page? I forgot where it went.... :oops: :roll:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2956&start=105 hereeeee :3
Twitter: @cloudiirain | BT Userpage | OreShura Translator | Biblia Editor (@HereticLNT) | Clockwork Editor (@HereticLNT)
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

Proposal: RSS Extension to Wiki for Update Tracking

Once again, cloud returns with another full blown proposal about tracking updates for projects on Baka-Tsuki.

Background
  • Baka-Tsuki lacks a good internal system that will track when chapters of a project are completed
    • Which, for that matter, is really pitiful because mangaupdates tracks us better than we ourselves do.
    • Using Special:RecentUpdates isn't good enough because even large edits may not be tied with a fully finished chapter, and there's a lot of random crap no one cares about.
    • Currently, complete update pages (like this one) are being maintained manually which is a waste of translator's and editor's times when they could translating.
  • The Baka-Tsuki Facebook and Twitter miss many (aka: most) updates on Baka-Tsuki Projects
    • Only popular projects are posted on twitter/etc.
    • NanoDesu's projects, for some reason, get more attention than Baka-Tsuki projects (um, why? @___@)
How do we solve this?
Well, the fact is, most projects keep track their recent updates on the recent updates page of their Project already. The problem is, it's not easy to fetch all of these updates together and compile them nicely sorted into one location.

Ideally, if we could find a solution that makes use of these existing project updates (that should be updated by the translator when they finish a chapter), and compiles the data together, this would be the best solution. There would be zero additional work on anyone's part or behalf.

The Proposed Solution:

Install Extension:WikiArticleFeeds. Click -here- for more literature if you need more to understand how it works.

This extension allows an RSS feed to be generated from a tag that is placed around a section of a page. It also allows multiple RSS feeds to be combined into one. Example:

Code: Select all

==Hyouka Project Updates Page==

<startFeed>

=====[[Hyouka]] V1C1=====
[[link|Volume 1 Chapter 1]] completed by ~~~~

=====[[Hyouka]] V1C2=====
[[link|Volume 1 Chapter 2]] completed by ~~~~

=====[[Hyouka]] V1C3+4=====
[[link|Volume 1 Chapter 3]] and [[link|Volume 1 Chapter 4]] completed by ~~~~

=====[[Hyouka]] V1C5=====
[[link|Volume 1 Chapter 5]] completed by ~~~~

</endfeed>
You get the idea. Whenever you want a new update to go to the RSS feed, you add a new section. As you can tell, it's pretty intuitive.

The best part, is that multiple feeds can be aggregated into one super feed. This means, all of the updates from all of the projects on the Wiki can be kept chronologically in one place (like this). It's like recent changes, but better, since it can provide more information. It also comes with an RSS feed that readers can use.

I'm going to predict that people are going to say they don't like the formatting. Well, my response to that is that Extension:WikiArticleFeed isn't designed to look pretty. It's designed to generate an RSS feed. If we want it to display nicely, perhaps we should also install Extension:RSS that is meant to format RSS feeds for display.

Both of these extensions are very popular extensions on MediaWiki. They're stable, and the work for the current version of MediaWiki that we run. <3

Proposed Further Extension

It is fairly easy to link RSS feeds with twitter and/or facebook. Here is a page if you're interested in learning how this might be done.

Basically, our RSS feed could be linked to some place else. When a new update comes, it is automatically posted (or it is sent to a moderator, who then posts it). This would solve the issue of our horribly slow twitter and facebook updates.

Potential Vulnerability

Security. But that's the issue with everything on Baka-Tsuki. If someone vandalizes any recent updates page, it goes to the entire RSS feed.

In response to this, we could possibly protect recent updates pages so only individuals in the translator or editor usergroups can edit/post updates.
Fulle
Kyonist

Post by Fulle »

That is pretty good idea cloud. I was searching in the forum something like that to add to my feedly (rss reader) but I've found anything T_T. I hope the administrator could implement that plugin so we can see the changes at the moment they are done. Well, I'm using now the epub generator feed from Simon but it only releases finished volumes and has some lag.

Bye
liclic
VOID UNDEAD SPECTOR
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by liclic »

I was searching if Log Horizon was still caught or not and if the 7th novel was about to be translated, but I didn't manage to find a line in the first post of this thread about this series. Was I a bad reader or am I not in the correct thread to search that or was this series forgotten ?
KuroiHikari
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by KuroiHikari »

liclic wrote:I was searching if Log Horizon was still caught or not and if the 7th novel was about to be translated, but I didn't manage to find a line in the first post of this thread about this series. Was I a bad reader or am I not in the correct thread to search that or was this series forgotten ?
BT doesn't control the translators who translate on its wiki platform.
BT is the wiki platform and just provides a place to people to put up translations.
Almost every Log Horizon work was done on pastebin, and people transfer it to BT for editing and etc. Just check who the translator is.
cloudii
Project Translator

Post by cloudii »

Fulle wrote:That is pretty good idea cloud. I was searching in the forum something like that to add to my feedly (rss reader) but I've found anything T_T. I hope the administrator could implement that plugin so we can see the changes at the moment they are done. Well, I'm using now the epub generator feed from Simon but it only releases finished volumes and has some lag.

Bye
I've started to update the official facebook page daily (which is linked to twitter). So basically, I'm covering the chapter updates manually ATM. Is it possible to get an RSS feed of that and distribute it?

I'd personally prefer it if we had 2-3 more active updaters willing to watch Recent Updates daily and post to the official Facebook Page. That way, if I vanish for some inexplicable reason (go on vacation or something), the updates won't stop. I mean... it isn't a long term solution to depend on one individual to watch updates...

Several weeks ago, I went out of my way to make a deal with Teh Ping and FB admins so I could get added to the official facebook page (you probably saw me posting updates on the regular facebook page for a while... that was part of the deal).

Is there any way we can make a protocol out of this, so it is reasonably easy for new individuals who want to track updates to get added?
Animanga
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Animanga »

Hi I'm new here and I don't fully know how things work here yet, but I would like to register for translating but I don't know how. Please help. PS if I broke any rules about posting I am very sorry.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

You can either join a project, or start a new one.

For the former, contact the project staff (seeing your first post, you should contact Teh Ping). For the latter, feel free to ask help for the project creation.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

We're lookin' for a TL and TLC, send 'em our way. :mrgreen:
Translator at guhehe.TRANSLATIONS

"Life's a tale, told by an idiot." -Shakespeare
Animanga
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Animanga »

How do I exactly contact people or teh ping I'm not allowed to send mail apparently
cautr
Tsuruya Gigglenator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cautr »

You need two more posts which can be achieved by just spamming around in the off-topic forum.
Translator at guhehe.TRANSLATIONS

"Life's a tale, told by an idiot." -Shakespeare
Animanga
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Animanga »

So all I have to do is have a total of 4 posts and I will be able to send messages?

Return to “News”