[Updated April 10, 2011]Wiki upgrade

Updates, News on the Baka-Tsuki Project

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

thelastguardian
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel:

[Updated April 10, 2011]Wiki upgrade

Post by thelastguardian »

I will just list out the front-end stuff and omit the back-end stuff

- Changed the default template from monobook to vector
- Installed WikiEditor extension with Preview
- Updated DynamicPageList extension
- Installed ParserFunctions extension
- Installed ExpandTemplates extension
- Installed ProofreadPage extension (potentially useful but not working yet)

Many new and wonderful things can be achieved with these new extensions...

Bugs, suggestions, anything
唯「もし・・・今後他の女の子に一切ハレンチな事しないって約束するなら・・・わ・・・私・・・私なら・・・」
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: [Updated April 10, 2011]Wiki upgrade

Post by Mystes »

...it loooks like wikipedia.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

EDIT: anyway can I have javascript, and do mouseovers for translation notes? :lol:
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

larethian wrote:anyway I can have javascript, and do mouseovers for translation notes? :lol:

Can the wiki do that?

Always wanted mouse-over alternative text...
:roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

sorry changed my post. I was meaning to ask "can I have" :lol:

EDIT: and I just took a quick look at ParserFunctions in mediawiki handbook. seems really interesting :D
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

One major issue for me. I CAN'T POST MY TRANSLATION FROM MY MOBILE!
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
rpapo
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by rpapo »

Along that line, when I copy and paste from Microsoft Word to the wiki editor, it preserves most of the attributes from the text in my word processor . . . which is not at all what I want. There doesn't appear to be any way to reset the font or highlight back to normal. In order to put anything in the editor now, I have to first copy and paste to Notepad, and then from Notepad to the Wiki. That causes the extra attributes to be discarded.

A bit more work than before. If I were using the same attributes in my word processor as for the wiki, it probably wouldn't be a problem, but I don't. I have the original text looking one way, the romaji text another and finally the translation highlighted. A bit of a mess, but it helps me keep the three sets (sometimes four, with Spanish) separate.
thelastguardian
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel:

You can disable some of the new editor features in My Preferences -> Editing . In particular the option 'Show edit toolbar (requires JavaScript)' disables the new toolbar.

As for the new wiki looks like Wikipedia...Well they do run on the same software, so this shouldn't be a surprise.
Brynhilde
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Brynhilde »

I am unable to copy anything or press the enter button when I'm editing wiki pages. And ALL format is lost when I copy text from Word.

Nani!!?!?!??!?!?!?!
Do we want to become stronger, or just want to let others acknowledge our strength?
rpapo
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by rpapo »

Frankly, I would prefer it lost all the format, including the text attributes (font, color, style). That's because in my case I have specific styles set in my working document so I can keep everything visually separate (Raw/Romaji/English/Spanish). For instance, my completed English stuff is Calibri 10pt with a yellow highlighter background. Pasted directly into the new wiki editor it looks horrible. Worse, there is no visible way to set the font to conform with the rest of the page. So, to get around the problem, I paste everything into Notepad first, and from there to the Wiki editor. Since Notepad doesn't honor any text attributes at all, it drops them, and when I copy from there, you just get clean plain text.

For me this is a workable solution. If everybody else likes the new editor, I can live with my workaround.
thelastguardian
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel:

Brynhilde wrote:I am unable to copy anything or press the enter button when I'm editing wiki pages. And ALL format is lost when I copy text from Word.

Nani!!?!?!??!?!?!?!
Which browser are you using? It sounds like you have the opposite problem as rpapo.
rpapo wrote:Since Notepad doesn't honor any text attributes at all, it drops them, and when I copy from there, you just get clean plain text.
I had the same idea as well (in fact that's what I usually do before I submit by hand).

As for the new editor, I think the old editor was so atrocious that anything is better. Of course, if enough users complain about the new one, I am willing to switch it back.
Brynhilde
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Brynhilde »

Running Internet Explorer 9. Yep, all my bold/italics are gone...
Do we want to become stronger, or just want to let others acknowledge our strength?
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

for me, I use google docs if I'm not translating directly into the wiki, and what I'm losing are the line breaks. I'm a Chrome user if that makes any difference :D
Brynhilde
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Brynhilde »

What I found to be the most strange (and annoying) is that I can't highlight anything in the wiki editing window, which makes life a pain when I'm coping codes around and doing Translator's Notes
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Brynhilde wrote:What I found to be the most strange (and annoying) is that I can't highlight anything in the wiki editing window, which makes life a pain when I'm coping codes around and doing Translator's Notes
Brynhilde have you tried a different browser? I know it sounds a bit extreme to use a different browser just to use the wiki but it might ease the frustration for the moment.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto

Return to “News”