[Updated April 10, 2011]Wiki upgrade

Updates, News on the Baka-Tsuki Project

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Brynhilde
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: [Updated April 10, 2011]Wiki upgrade

Post by Brynhilde »

Now I'm thinking if this is related to internet speed or some other factor, since the issue of not being able to highlight had mysteriously resolved by itself on IE9. :D
Do we want to become stronger, or just want to let others acknowledge our strength?
thelastguardian
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by thelastguardian »

Anyone still having issues with the editor?
唯「もし・・・今後他の女の子に一切ハレンチな事しないって約束するなら・・・わ・・・私・・・私なら・・・」
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Well, I can't select, copy or paste.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
rpapo
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by rpapo »

Similarly, I cannot reliably mouse anywhere. I have to click on the editor window and then move the cursor with the arrow keys.

Other than that, my complaints have not changed. That hasn't stopped me from getting things done, though.
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

when I paste a line, the focus leaves the editor window and I have to click in it again to get focus. other than that, the most annoying one for me is line breaks stripped away when I copy and paste from google docs. so I use <br/>s now.
thelastguardian
Editor-in-Assistance
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by thelastguardian »

Do you guys see the same issues when you edit on Wikipedia? (not real edit, just open up an edit page and try)
唯「もし・・・今後他の女の子に一切ハレンチな事しないって約束するなら・・・わ・・・私・・・私なら・・・」
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

No, but I don't edit the public wikipedia anywhere near as much: mostly fixing people's spelling and grammar. The last time I spent a lot of time editing the public wikipedia was when I created the page for Golden Time, which they kindly removed six months later :x
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

thelastguardian wrote:Do you guys see the same issues when you edit on Wikipedia? (not real edit, just open up an edit page and try)
don't really remember having such problems.
rpapo wrote:No, but I don't edit the public wikipedia anywhere near as much: mostly fixing people's spelling and grammar. The last time I spent a lot of time editing the public wikipedia was when I created the page for Golden Time, which they kindly removed six months later :x
this may help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... _articles)
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

<rant>

The problem wasn't the style of the article, but rather that one of their staff was zealously trying to ensure that only "notable" topics had pages of their own. In his mind, the only light novels worth their own page on the English wiki are those that form long series and/or have anime or manga adaptations. From where I sat, I was just doing what they also ask people to do: provide translations of pages already existing in the Japanese wikipedia. I took the wiki page that somebody created within days of the first book's publication, translated it into English, and posted it on the English wiki for anybody to read. No new content of my own, since I hadn't translated any of the book yet. The English wiki-police, however, insist that just because a page exists on the Japanese wiki doesn't mean that it is worthy to exist in the English wiki. They say they are trying to maintain higher standards.

I can only call it elitism. It gets practiced in different ways on both sides of the world.

</rant>

Are we getting off topic again? :lol:
larethian
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

the link was a little messed up, but there's a notability sub-section included in the MoS isn't it? the Jpnese wiki is too loose. they have a lot of clean up to do. recently, a number of the Jpnese versions of anime/manga/LN/VN articles have already been flagged and marked for needed clean-up and reformatting. it's not elitism, the guidelines were not enforced properly in the Jpnese wiki. notability is important, otherwise every living person can have an article, and every insignificant thing on this planet. even though it's an encyclopedia, it'll be too cluttered and hard to verify the non-notable stuff, don't you agree? :D

I think that's why wikias were created, even though I hate the software they are using. darn ugly and hard to edit.
rpapo

Post by rpapo »

It was only the unevenness of the enforcement that bothered me. Besides, I don't consider Wikipedia so much an encyclopedia as a repository of information. Having somebody come through and even it out is fine, as long as you apply the rules even-handedly. Though it is difficult to do so with an open editor, some effort must be made to avoid agendas and personal bias. This is particularly true in areas of politics or religion (not that we're involved in that here).

As it happens, at the moment, the Japanese page has in fact been flagged, but not for notability deletion, but rather for expansion and updating. I can guess from that that the Japanese wiki-masters consider the book series a little more important than the English ones do.
Brynhilde
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Brynhilde »

If anyone's still having that weird trouble with can't paste/copy/select/can't use your mouse in general in the wiki editor, it seems like changing the encoding to Unicode does the trick for that.
Do we want to become stronger, or just want to let others acknowledge our strength?
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

Brynhilde wrote:If anyone's still having that weird trouble with can't paste/copy/select/can't use your mouse in general in the wiki editor, it seems like changing the encoding to Unicode does the trick for that.
Me too. No options available with the mouse.
Kira0802

rpapo

Post by rpapo »

I have turned to simply doing all my final editing in Notepad, and then carefully pasting it into the Wiki editor. My translation work, of course, remains in Word. I only use Notepad as a temporary space between Word and the Wiki.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Mystes »

rpapo wrote:I have turned to simply doing all my final editing in Notepad, and then carefully pasting it into the Wiki editor. My translation work, of course, remains in Word. I only use Notepad as a temporary space between Word and the Wiki.
But why do the skipped lines get deleted? For example, I double space it in .txt, but it isn't when I copy/paste it.
Kira0802

Return to “News”