Registration CAPTCHA has been changed.

Updates, News on the Baka-Tsuki Project

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Registration CAPTCHA has been changed.

Post by onizuka-gto »

Please note, i have change the CAPTCHA to something more conventional, i will eventually switch back to the original Q&A method, when i can think of some more questions to add.... :roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Registration CAPTCHA has been changed.

Post by Misogi »

Isn't it better to put a captcha with letters to decipher?

Registration on the forum was quite criticized because of the random questions, and I fear that it will also be the case for the wiki.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Misogi wrote:Isn't it better to put a captcha with letters to decipher?

Registration on the forum was quite criticized because of the random questions, and I fear that it will also be the case for the wiki.
At the moment, applying CAPTCHA to wiki is out of my powers, this change only applies to the forum.
i'm aware of the criticism of the Q&A, so for the moment the more generic and conventional image to letter CAPTCHA has been applied.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Ah, sorry, I've mistaken your words.

Either way, thanks for the information.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Lery
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Lery »

Please !!!!! Change back to the good old almost impossible Q&A !!!
There are now lots and lots of spammers who are able to pass the CAPTCHA :x
Wiki user : Lery (talk)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

...so...by popular demand, CAPTCHA will switch back to the Q&A.

:roll:

I need some new Q&A to add, so i'm welcome to some suggestion.

The only rule to the theme of the questions is that they must be in English, they must be related to the forum or the wiki and the nature of the questions can refer to the alternative languages but answers must be always in english.

Forum Q&A can only be restricted to permanent topic titles (e.g. Global, locked, sticky topics) or forum/subforum and not to any one post and must be accessible and seen by none-login users.

Wiki Q&A must refer to a locked page title or content and can only be one link deep away from the main page.

Numerical answers must always be spelt out in English.

Please send your suggestion to my email, with the title: "Impossible Q&A Baka-Tsuki Style".

@Onizukademongto
Lery

Post by Lery »

Thanks, it's really better without Spam ^^

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: In light of the recent spam

Post by Cthaeh »

With regards to the discussions of captcha questions for either the forum or the wiki, one idea might be to make a page on site etiquette and have captcha questions based on it so that it forces new members to read that page. In theory it could help educate people about things like not asking for translations, or otherwise bugging translators. Though, it's probably just my optimistic illusion that education would actually help on that issue.

EDIT: Thanks Lery for referencing/moving my suggestion in the proper thread. I had forgotten that was where the most recent captcha discussion was.
viewtopic.php?p=184776#p184776
Last edited by Cthaeh on Sat May 18, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lery

Post by Lery »

That's actually a really good idea !
You may just ask the "third and fourth words of the second sentence" and no bot would be able to do it and it would encourage humans to read the rules :mrgreen:

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Lery

Post by Lery »

Spoiler! :
Oni, did you see that post :
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5384&p=184774#p184767
???
I think it could be a really good idea and would be easier than the actual question while being as strong against bots.

You may just ask questions like "what's the fourth word of the third sentence of the second paragraph of the rules?"
So it would be easy to find out, and moreover would encourage people to read those rules... :mrgreen:
Edit : I moved the post, eventually. ^^'
Last edited by Lery on Mon May 20, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: since I moved the post...

Sysadmin, sometimes.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

i see the link. :roll:

Now if you just gimme a few minutes to read it......after my supper....

And my beer.....okay. will do it after my shower.....before bed. promise. :roll:

@Onizukademongto
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Cthaeh wrote:With regards to the discussions of captcha questions for either the forum or the wiki, one idea might be to make a page on site etiquette and have captcha questions based on it so that it forces new members to read that page. In theory it could help educate people about things like not asking for translations, or otherwise bugging translators. Though, it's probably just my optimistic illusion that education would actually help on that issue.

EDIT: Thanks Lery for referencing/moving my suggestion in the proper thread. I had forgotten that was where the most recent captcha discussion was.
viewtopic.php?p=184776#p184776

Make it so.

NB: what's with the link? i kept clicking it and it kept taking me back to this topic, made me dizzy..... :cry:

@Onizukademongto
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

onizuka-gto wrote: NB: what's with the link? i kept clicking it and it kept taking me back to this topic, made me dizzy..... :cry:
Originally Lery linked to my post, which was in another thread. Since this was the more appropriate thread, I edited my post with a link to Lery's post in this thread. Then later, my post was moved to this thread, creating a loop of self referencing links. All cleverly carried out to make oni so dizzy that he thinks it's a good idea.
kuroneko
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by kuroneko »

I think the QA is a good idea but I think a spammer can easily use those obvious keys to validate?

Once a spammer gets the key(s) they are able to use those over and over again. And even if you have 5 different questions they can easily break in in a huge ratio :evil:

I think a true and powerful captcha for MediaWiki is a better solution. So far ConfirmEdit is all I found and that extension contains 5 different captcha. One is the reCaptcha by Google which is good. I think the extension also covers the registration. The only disadvantage is that installing extension in MediaWiki is a pain and time is wasted in trial and error.

As for the phpBB forum reCaptcha for phpBBx should do it.
Visit my site for the highest-quality ePubs. Each are meticulously crafted by hand, not automated, not converted.

Polyaness.com
braiam
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by braiam »

Since this thread seems more active than the other one, I feel I should make a link about some suggestions. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5384&p=187344#p187339
I'm just a lurker... and AllMangaReader developer.
You can find about me here.

Return to “News”