2013's Brief Spell of Unexpected Downtime: Update Coming

Updates, News on the Baka-Tsuki Project

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

2013's Brief Spell of Unexpected Downtime: Update Coming

Post by onizuka-gto »

Dear All,

We suffered a brief and unexpected downtime, it might be a signs of the annual maintenance.

Big Boss has been summoned, sacrifices have been laid upon the doors of Bakatsukigrad.

So until he gets back to us and we will know what has happened all Translators and Editors, are reminded to backup all your work before publishing on the wiki.

You know the drill, maybe we can get the forum and wiki finally updated... :roll: :lol:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: 2013's Brief Spell of Unexpected Downtime: Update Coming

Post by Misogi »

Can you give us the week-end to properly save as much translations as possible? It would also allow more people to be informed of this matter.

A news on the wiki main page may be useful too.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
Lery
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by Lery »

:D
That would be nice to get an update of the Wiki, there are a lot of nice functionalities on the newest wikimedia versions ^^
Wiki user : Lery (talk)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Misogi wrote:Can you give us the week-end to properly save as much translations as possible?
I thought it was just advice to save what you were working on so the site didn't go down in the middle of editing?

If it's actually a situation where we're afraid of losing the current version of content that's already uploaded, then it's probably more efficient to have someone just back up the entire wiki, rather than having a few people do parts of it peacemeal. I think there's only about 0.5 - 1.0 GB of text content on the wiki, if only counting the most recent version in the history.

Though, the wiki and forum were just down for a few minutes, so maybe this issue is over with anyways?

EDIT: It's less than I thought, only ~350 MB of text on the wiki.
Last edited by Cthaeh on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Misogi
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Misogi »

Well, everything can happen when you update a website.

At least, people will take the time to save their work.
Twitter : @MisogID
----
Sans plume, ni sanité (Without feathers nor sanity), a blog reeking of sickness. Wipe your minds before entering.
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

And there are PDFs also a backup. Though not for all
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

I got curious at how much text there actually was, so I downloaded the current version of the wiki minus user pages (I didn't bother with the histories). I expect the wiki's standard backup methods are more than enough if anything actually happens, but in the worst case I do have a local copy.
Lery

Post by Lery »

Ahaha, I did the same ^^'

But I've over 5Go of data. Without histories. :| I guess I used a wrong method, how did you dump it?

Sysadmin, sometimes.
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Lery wrote:Ahaha, I did the same ^^'

But I've over 5Go of data. Without histories. :| I guess I used a wrong method, how did you dump it?
I copied the All pages list and fed it into the Special:Export page, in pieces so as not to download a massive file at once. One advantage of that method is that administrators can use the Special:Import page to reload it back into the wiki if necessary. It was 16,909 pages that I downloaded across the multiple exported files (excluding user pages, user talk pages, file pages, and few other minor pages). No image files.

If you had 14x more data (5 Gb? vs 350 Mb) than me and were downloading the same number of pages (user pages wouldn't make that much difference), I'd guess you either used a data grabbing method that included the html code, or you downloaded image files. The export page pretty much just exports the text that you would copy out of the edit version of a page, in addition to some xml formatting. I suppose there's also a chance that my export failed and that's why my size is lower; but I have used the export page with no problems at other times (downloading an entire series into one file for editing purposes), and I did open up one of this batch of files to double check it.

How did you do it?
Lery

Post by Lery »

Well, I actually dumped the whole site, including images, pdf and epub we are linking to and the html source code. ;)
So, this explains the size's difference.

I didn't know the existence of that special export page. Thanks you.

Sysadmin, sometimes.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

so far, no word from the Big Boss.

But im curious, how big is the backup files? i wouldn't mind keeping a copy.

I do have 6TB free on my personal server, so space isn't a problem.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Lery

Post by Lery »

Well, you are actually the only one able to do a real backup, since you are a wiki admin ;)

You should be able to backup the database since that's the only thing that really matter. (We couldn't so we had to use workarounds.)
It won't be that big since it's only text. A little more that 350mb since it would also backup the user and all the stuff on the wiki. (Excepted the image.)

Don't you have a backup option in the admin part of the wiki?

PS : 6Tb O.o How do you plan to use so much space? 8)

Sysadmin, sometimes.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Lery wrote:Well, you are actually the only one able to do a real backup, since you are a wiki admin ;)

You should be able to backup the database since that's the only thing that really matter. (We couldn't so we had to use workarounds.)
It won't be that big since it's only text. A little more that 350mb since it would also backup the user and all the stuff on the wiki. (Excepted the image.)

Don't you have a backup option in the admin part of the wiki?

PS : 6Tb O.o How do you plan to use so much space? 8)
A little over 350mb? that's....smaller than expected.

I have backup option?....not sure! I never really looked, but I'll have a proper rummage later tonight.

Well, 6TB ain't that much to be honest, mostly it was filled up with TV shows, anime series, design project (work and personal) and etc etc.

I had 3TB before and in 5 years i filled that up to the top.
So just a few months ago, I got a couple of 2TB drives. I figured 8TB (6TB usable) should last me for the next couple of years....
Hopefully! :roll: :lol:

Edit:
Also to get back on topic, i will not be able to give you any indication of when or if, there will be maintenance until i can verify with the Big Boss.

This is merely a precautionary warning, based on past experience, these symptoms show up and it's usually a sign of bad things to come unless it has been seen confirmed to be nothing but a minor incident.

@Onizukademongto
Lery

Post by Lery »

Yeah, 350mb aren't that big... compared to films or anime series :P

Did you do a spring's cleanup finally? I remember you talked about it in January, but you never said if you did it or not.

PS: By the way, Oni, did you receive my mail about the Domain Name's matter? :wink:

Sysadmin, sometimes.
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Lery wrote:Yeah, 350mb aren't that big... compared to films or anime series :P

Did you do a spring's cleanup finally? I remember you talked about it in January, but you never said if you did it or not.

PS: By the way, Oni, did you receive my mail about the Domain Name's matter? :wink:
Nope . I haven't gotten round to it, as for the other matter, i received it.

however, the Big Boss has yet to reply to this one, so once i got this cleared i'll bring up that up with him once i've establish communication with him again.

@Onizukademongto

Return to “News”