Official PDF release?

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Know a great light novel series that should be translated? Tell us here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Please read the New Project Petition Guidelines before posting!

Should we do an Official PDF version?

Yes, because it will give us full control in adding content and others (please Explain)
90%
No. This goes against the fundamental idea of the Baka-Tsuki open translation project
10%

Total votes: 70

Kanzar
Astral Realm

Post by Kanzar »

Guest lol wrote:I'd love to have a PDF file! That way I can read the novel on my PDA or something. Also, if the website ever went down due to licensing the novel in North America... I could keep the novel :D
Am I the only person that saves the novel pages in html? O.o

I know I sound like an ungrateful parrot, but it's not like I'm interested in this pdf release for anything more than aesthetic curiosity. However, for the sake of other people who may actually be pining away for it:

When will it be done?
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Official PDF release?

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Why not have them available for download for those who prefer PDF, while keeping it available like it is now?
I mean, it adds variety =X besides, i doubt we can force every single chapter to be PDF-ed on short notice, so we need to look out for PDF-ers if we are going to do this... meaning, if we get PDF-ers, we get PDF versions available, we dont get them, we can still read from the webby

P.S. this is a personal comment, but i am not exactly a reader of this place... not yet at least... so i cant tell for sure yet
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

And that, Ladies and Gents, is how you necropost.

Anyway, I'm not fundamentally opposed to PDF releases, but the problem becomes one of version control.

The Wiki is in a constant state of flux. Just yesterday, for example, someone did some editing on Haruhi volume 1. If we had released a PDF, what would we do?

1) Forbid changes, which permanently locks errors into the text (bad)
2) Release an update once the changes have been approved/discussed/accepted (Lots of re-releases)
3) Release periodically

Either way we would have like "Haruhi Volume 1 (v325.0 20-Jun-08).pdf" by now, which would get super annoying for everyone.
=Smidge=
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Yeah, I have the v1.0 Haruhi .pdfs that were make a long time ago, and they need quite a bit of updating. :? It's not a bad idea, but like Smidge said there will be a lot of re-releasing. *shrugs*
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

I personally think periodical updates of PDF is better, as for the period, naturally... when the PDF-ers feel like it ^^
The most updated ones will always be on the website anyways
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

Just for your information, when the first volume of Haruhi is released in North America, i will lock the first volume here from anymore edits, and this will continue as each volumes are released.

So the question of different pdf versions, will become moot.

:roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
MeltyBurger
Astral Realm

Post by MeltyBurger »

i totally agree with...

why?

because pdf is user friendly ^^
AyaToujo
Astral Realm

Post by AyaToujo »

woah great idea
Sinmay
Astral Realm

Post by Sinmay »

It's a great idea! Maybe you should only release the PDF version several weeks (maybe 1 month?) after the translation is complete. In that case, most of the mistakes would've been caught.

I think the PDF version looks really nice. I noticed someone uploaded volume 1 already: gone
mewarmo990
Senior Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by mewarmo990 »

I like it. There's no reason not to. I mean, if you're serious and competent enough to work on it you could always join the project team, and it will be kept away from the paws of those who aren't.
Noirtatsu
Astral Realm

Post by Noirtatsu »

I really love the idea of pdf releases. I have been following this group's work for quite awhile and I had been quite frustrated with the fact that you didn't have any pdf releases. I was in fact entering the forum just not to make a suggestion for them, not only for haruhi, but for all of the different works on this site.

-B

Return to “Future Project Suggestions”