Manga Translations?

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Know a great light novel series that should be translated? Tell us here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Please read the New Project Petition Guidelines before posting!

Should Baka-Tsuki allow manga translations as well?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:15 am

Yes, whichever is interesting and unlicensed
43%
Yes, whichever is interesting and not translated officially or by other translation-groups
No votes
Yes, but only for Novel related mangas that are unlicensed
No votes
Yes, but only for Novel related mangas that are unlicensed and not translated by other translation groups
57%
No, we have enough to work on at this moment already, PuiPui is an exception
No votes
No, PuiPui should not even take on Baka-Tsuki's name. B-T should be a purely novel translations site.
No votes

Total votes: 7

ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Manga Translations?

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Well, with the first project of PuiPui manga, it may affect what B-T does in the future.
For example, there are other novel-related mangas. These days there are more and more novel=>Manga and Manga=>Novel products.
So what does everyone think about this?

Some examples of novel-related mangas:
Spice and Wolf the manga
Shakugan no Shana manga
Haruhi manga
Dokuro-chan manga etc etc

Kyohaku's dog may be considered one of them as well?
By the same author for Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, a discontinued one volume manga.

So, what is everyones comments on this?

Edits: Forgot to mention, but
Poll runs till Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:15 am
Also, this is only for comment gathering. The final decision shall still lie upon our big boss, thelastguardian to announce the final verdict. If he says no to using the name of Baka-Tsuki, manga translations shall not bear the name of Baka-Tsuki even if this poll gives a 100% vote count on Yes answers.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Re: Manga Translations?

Post by onizuka-gto »

To me, as long as the wiki is used to help translate the written script, then it can use the name of baka-tsuki for it's release.

It is my personal view that we should strive to be different from all others and that we should always concentrate on the language and the translation aspects first, and everything else secondary.

Images are never a priority and that i do not think the Big Boss would approve of scanlated manga images being hosted on the wiki or forum to aid in editing the translated text to the images.

But while i don't mind unrelated manga being translated, i do prefer that they are so what related to the novels we have hosted here, if only to justify ourselves that the focus is primary on novels.
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
ShadowZeroHeart

onizuka-gto wrote:To me, as long as the wiki is used to help translate the written script, then it can use the name of baka-tsuki for it's release.

It is my personal view that we should strive to be different from all others and that we should always concentrate on the language and the translation aspects first, and everything else secondary.

Images are never a priority and that i do not think the Big Boss would approve of scanlated manga images being hosted on the wiki or forum to aid in editing the translated text to the images.

But while i don't mind unrelated manga being translated, i do prefer that they are so what related to the novels we have hosted here, if only to justify ourselves that the focus is primary on novels.
wiki for translated script... it is next to impossible =X as we mentioned before? That is because unlike texts, mangas require positioning of the wordings. And this is very hard, if not impossible to pin-point on wiki. So would you like to change your vote?

I agree on your view that we should be different and concentrate on language and translations and such too =X that is why i think it is valid.

Currently, manga images are not being hosted on the wiki or forum, apparantly we are just translating and letting people get their hands on them. Though apparantly PuiPui is getting quite a big response? 100+ readers and 8 favs in less than a month of release?

P.S. i forgot to mention earlier, this poll is set to be due in 30 days!! Make your votes count!!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

As far as the script goes, I know wording and positioning is hard and stuff, but the point is just to have the text up on the wiki as well. Whether it's practical or not doesn't carry too much weight...:)

I voted for #4 :)
ShadowZeroHeart

So far ~.~ everyone voted for the same thing...

And so, we have to come up with some idea for the manga i guess?
If the poll ends with a "Yes", and we can come up with some idea, is it okay for you to talk to big boss about it? Oni
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

I voted for the first one. I do not believe we need to limit ourselves to just novel related mangas. As for mangas already being translated by other groups, some stop or drop them. I see no problem with translating those series as long as they are not making any progress or drop it.

My ideas for incorporating the Wiki into the process:
- Post the text up on the wiki like normal
- Have a specialized forum section which hosts the images, possibly hidden
- Have a number code linking the text on the wiki to bubbles/areas on the images in the forum
- After translation and typesetting are complete, move the completed work to a release section of the forum

This process uses the wiki like Big Boss had intended, and images wont be hosted up on there. Thoughts on this?
ShadowZeroHeart

TheGiftedMonkey wrote: - After translation and typesetting are complete, move the completed work to a release section of the forum
This means the final product is not on wiki anymore?
I mean, PuiPui is currently not even on B-T, it is sent off once it is completed...
So is there a real need to host it on wiki? which is rather unpleasant to read? @@
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

Hosting a link to the forum on the wiki would work just fine or a direct download link even. The wiki would just be used to hold the text so we can call it a B-T project.
Nerevarine
Astral Realm

Post by Nerevarine »

well...my answer is...varied.

i dont really mind whether we decide to translate manga or not (it dosnt even have to be novel related)...just whatever it is...it should be original work and not an adaptation.

i dont really think it would be good for our translators to work on material that has been adapted from the original source when they could be just work on the original piece in the first place.

original (man i need a thesaurus) is always, always better than adapted material.

so something like the ZnT manga or SnS manga (as an example)....i dont think we should do it

but i do think it would be nice if there was something where a manga and novel are related to each other yet cover different parts of the story.

a good example of this is Karin (Chibi Vampire). the manga is the original work with the plot line, while the novel contains a bunch of comedy side-stories.

also, dōjinshi are also ok in my book.

(as i dont really see my opinion as a choice, i guess ill just abstain my vote)

Removed double post - TGM
ShadowZeroHeart

Good point =X

I would agree with Nere there

But that would mean that Krikit will have to handle PuiPui alone without the manga in that case haha!!
Anyway manga and anime and novel tend to differ in most cases. Sometimes in good ways, sometimes in bad ways.
Lets have an example shall we?
Have you heard of Onegai teacher/twins?
I recently took the time to watch both series, to realize that they had manga adaptations, and novel adaptations as well. Yet especially in the case of Onegai twins, the story told is varied from the anime itself.

Similarly, in Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, some characters in the anime were from the manga Kyohaku's dog. This can be easily portraited as in the novel, we cannot tell for sure how the anime Haruka watches really looks like. The character was taken from the manga in fact (I took a look at the manga to confirm this)
In fact, the manga is almost the same as the novel in terms of the story, yet completely different in terms of the people.
Spoiler! :
008.jpg
005.jpg
Notice anyone familiar in there? ^^
(Question to Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu watchers/readers/interested parties)

This is but one example that I am bringing up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

i'm not sure how posting the script on the wiki NOT HELP the manga, i've read plenty of manga where the translation has seemed odd, bizarre and sometimes downright awful.

There are even some scanlated release where even the translator has commented that they just didn't know what was said and they either skipped it or make something up.

With the application of the wiki, therei s a potential to make sure the script comes out right, after all the main advantage of Baka-Tsuki is the self sustaining Editorial support infrastructure, plenty of willing contributor-editors to help take the rough edges off the script.

While we won't allow the images to be hosted on the wiki, we will allow links to an external image gallery, and with the right formatting of the pages we can easily make it work smoothly with twice the number of people who are interested in the manga to help edit the script and also contribute via the forum to help with the more graphic side with discussions in the irc/forums.

personally hate the time consuming effort it seems to take for scanlators to arrange the words to the pages, well if you are impatient to read the manga, with the accurate and clear notation to the action panel, a reader can just use the script on the wiki to read it comfortable.

Self serve i like to say, take out half the effort and just editing the script into the image will become an option and not a necessary.

80% preparation, 20% effort.

:wink:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
ShadowZeroHeart

Okay, i guess i should say sorry...

I cannot really visualize how things will look. But if text is placed exactly into the speech bubbles and such in the images...
Well, I guess you are right in many ways... being able to edit is a great way for translations, since it is hard for them to be perfect, especially in the first try.

Personally, i guess i must see how things would be like before i can really comment further on this...
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Anonymus
Astral Realm

Post by Anonymus »

Hi, it's me anonymus again
Well, I know this is not my business nor stuff. (I wander here since I'm craving for chapter 4 :P )
And I'm not trying to be a smart ass.

But I remembered that there is a group that do manga translation with wiki like style
http://mrdummy.net/mangatranslation/info.php -> For how they do it
Well, just think that it might help you guys.
Sorry for the interruptions.
ShadowZeroHeart

OMG THIS IS GOOD!!! HEY GUYS!! CHECK THAT WEBBY OUT!!
Anonymus wrote:Hi, it's me anonymus again
Well, I know this is not my business nor stuff. (I wander here since I'm craving for chapter 4 :P )
And I'm not trying to be a smart ass.

But I remembered that there is a group that do manga translation with wiki like style
http://mrdummy.net/mangatranslation/info.php -> For how they do it
Well, just think that it might help you guys.
Sorry for the interruptions.
This shows a pop-up area revealing the translated text when you move your mouse there.
Can we implement this? This is actually good! You get to see the actual RAWs + our translation. Allow editing, and also can be used to learn the language to a small extent!!

P.S. Good people making good comments and giving great help usually gets something in return.
Week end is coming. Hopefully Vaelis can get it ready for you? LOLz!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,

Return to “Future Project Suggestions”