Bokurano Alternative

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Know a great light novel series that should be translated? Tell us here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Please read the New Project Petition Guidelines before posting!

Do you wish to see this Light Novel translated?

Yes
100%
Not really (please give reason)
No votes
No (please give reason)
No votes

Total votes: 3

Astral Realm

Bokurano Alternative

Post by Guest »

Edit: This a copy of WakuKun's post to replace the original one without series details.

Bokurano Alternative is a alternate retelling of the Manga series Bokurano (written and illustrated by Mohiro Kitoh), written by Renji Ohki and Mohiro Kitoh, who also did the illustrations.

It's about 15 children, who were chosen to pilot a giant 500m tall robot to defend the earth.

I recently uploaded chapter 5. I will upload chapter 2 next week, when I finished translating it. After that, I will start to translate chapter 1.

If you would like to read Bokurano Alternative from the beginning, please wait until I have translated and uploaded chapter 1.

Here's the Teaser Project:

https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/inde ... lternative

-----
original post:

I am still watching the anime series, but I was hoping that when I finished it I could read Bokurano Alternative. Sadly, Baka-Tsuki doesn't have it.

I don't have much else to say other than I would really appreciate it if it were to be translated.
Astral Realm

Re: Bokurano Alternative

Post by Guest »

There's an ongoing translation here.
mondy-mond
Astral Realm

Post by mondy-mond »

Try posting a little more information to get someone interested and make sure to check in the novel is licensed or not, I'm sure a more well known translator will pick it up
Astral Realm

Post by Guest »

======Blanked======
Please do not post any offers nor requests for any kind of scans.
(surprised it survived this long).

~krytyk
Siesta00
Astral Realm

Post by Siesta00 »

I am currently undergoing a self course of japanese together with a friend. We are learning slowly but I think we may be able to start a translation project at some point next year, as we are on final semester of college. ******************, for I was interested in this project a long time ago but no one ever translated it.
Last edited by krytyk on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Censored, please do not post requests nor offers for sharing raw materials.
WakuKun
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Bokurano Alternative, Mondaiji-Tachi <3

Post by WakuKun »

I'm interested in doing a translation for 'Bokurano Alternative'.
I already have translated chapter 5.
Now I want to start from the beginning and share my work here.
Just watch, I'll do it!
Currently working on a translation for 「ぼくらの ~alternative~」
WakuKun
Project Translator

Post by WakuKun »

Just wanted you to know, that I started to translate Kozue's chapter (Volume 1; Chapter 2).

Why's Kozue's chapter, not Teacher's chapter coming next? I'm not the type of guy who starts from the very beginning, so next chapter to be translated will be Kozue's, because it is very very short and I need to.. you know.. restart! XD

But no worries: I will do the whole thing, just doing it my way!

Since I found out that I have to translate a whole volume to get a project started here, I will just update my progress for now. Maybe I'm going to ask for a project if I have volume 1 fully translated.. Idk. I think the rules are pretty confusing. Sorry for that.

However, if anyone is interested in my current work, just let me know.
Spoiler! :
Volume 1
chapter 1: Teacher (0%)
chapter 2: Kozue (0%)
chapter 3: Kako (0%)
chapter 4: Tsubasa (0%)

Volume 2
chapter 5: Waku (100%)
chapter 6: Chizu (0%)
chapter 7: Kirie (0%)

Volume 3
chapter 8: Kodama (0%)
chapter 9: Mako (0%)
chapter 10: Anko (0%)

Volume 4
chapter 11: Kana/Komo (0%)
chapter 12: Kana/Komo (0%)
chapter 13: Maria (0%)

Volume 5
chapter 14: Kanji (0%)
chapter 15: Mayako (0%)
chapter 16: Ushiro (0%)
Just watch, I'll do it!
WakuKun
Project Translator

Post by WakuKun »

Just wanted to let you know, that I'm doing great with Kozue's chapter.
The translation will be finished in late August.

After that I will start to translate Teacher's chapter.
It will take some more time since it is a long chapter. Also I will have my final exams in October this year, so I will finish 'Teacher' after my exams.
Spoiler! :
Volume 1
chapter 1: Teacher (0%)
chapter 2: Kozue (25%)
chapter 3: Kako (0%)
chapter 4: Tsubasa (0%)

Volume 2
chapter 5: Waku (100%)
chapter 6: Chizu (0%)
chapter 7: Kirie (0%)

Volume 3
chapter 8: Kodama (0%)
chapter 9: Mako (0%)
chapter 10: Anko (0%)

Volume 4
chapter 11: Kana/Komo (0%)
chapter 12: Kana/Komo (0%)
chapter 13: Maria (0%)

Volume 5
chapter 14: Kanji (0%)
chapter 15: Mayako (0%)
chapter 16: Ushiro (0%)
Just watch, I'll do it!
WakuKun
Project Translator

Post by WakuKun »

Besides doing my translation, I randomly browsed through the Baka-Tsuki forums, and some posts forced me to rethink my decision to once share my work here. There are lots of postings where (new) users - who also admit that they don't understand any Japanese - offer to edit translations . I can't help, but this deeply disturbs me, since it seems to be like an usual behaviour here.

I just don't want my work to be edited by people who seem like they just edit the hard work of others, to just edit if you know what I mean? I put a lot of effort into my translations, so it is my worst nightmare thinking of somebody just randomly just-for-the-sake-of-editing editing my stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work of people who do good edits, like editing misspellings or serious grammar errors (which should be rare, srsly). But.. argh.. I just don't want my translations to be touched. I want to get noticed about a found issue and talk about it since the translation is like my second heart. I don't want anybody to just randomly edit my stuff.

So you will find my translation on my homepage.

I will upload Waku's and Kozue's chapter by the end of August when Kozue's chapter is finished. I also ordered the five Light Novel volumes (used condition) a second time to be able to make good scans of all the pictures. After that I will start translating Teacher's chapter.

Sorry for that.
Just watch, I'll do it!
manlyflower
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Hyouka :3

Post by manlyflower »

WakuKun wrote:Besides doing my translation, I randomly browsed through the Baka-Tsuki forums, and some posts forced me to rethink my decision to once share my work here. There are lots of postings where (new) users - who also admit that they don't understand any Japanese - offer to edit translations . I can't help, but this deeply disturbs me, since it seems to be like an usual behaviour here.

I just don't want my work to be edited by people who seem like they just edit the hard work of others, to just edit if you know what I mean? I put a lot of effort into my translations, so it is my worst nightmare thinking of somebody just randomly just-for-the-sake-of-editing editing my stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work of people who do good edits, like editing misspellings or serious grammar errors (which should be rare, srsly). But.. argh.. I just don't want my translations to be touched. I want to get noticed about a found issue and talk about it since the translation is like my second heart. I don't want anybody to just randomly edit my stuff.

So you will find my translation here:
x

I will upload Waku's and Kozue's chapter by the end of August when Kozue's chapter is finished. I also ordered the five Light Novel volumes (used condition) a second time to be able to make good scans of all the pictures. After that I will start translating Teacher's chapter.

Sorry for that.
Not to deny your point, because I think it might be a valid one for sure (and the main reason I translate on this site is because I don't have the drive to make my own blog and I appreciate what BT has given me as a community), but most translation editors anywhere don't have knowledge of the translated language. Their job is to make sure the after-translation is readable in the end language, for us, English. It's really nice because as a translator, I sometimes get bogged down by the Japanese syntax and grammar structure, and it's nice to have a perspective that's untouched by Japanese sentence structure and convention. Have you experienced any less-than-stellar edits by anyone here? In my experience, the less experienced ones are actually quite reverent, to the point where I have to say "Please be more tough on my awkward sounding passages."

But again, this isn't to discredit your decision. I hope your translations go well.
WakuKun
Project Translator

Post by WakuKun »

Not to deny your point, because I think it might be a valid one for sure (and the main reason I translate on this site is because I don't have the drive to make my own blog and I appreciate what BT has given me as a community), but most translation editors anywhere don't have knowledge of the translated language. Their job is to make sure the after-translation is readable in the end language, for us, English. It's really nice because as a translator, I sometimes get bogged down by the Japanese syntax and grammar structure, and it's nice to have a perspective that's untouched by Japanese sentence structure and convention. Have you experienced any less-than-stellar edits by anyone here? In my experience, the less experienced ones are actually quite reverent, to the point where I have to say "Please be more tough on my awkward sounding passages."

But again, this isn't to discredit your decision. I hope your translations go well.
Thanks for your reply! Well, I didn't mean to offend the editors work. It's just the weird me who do not want anyone to edit my work. :,D

If you don't mind, I explain the history of translating Bokurano alternative in a nutshell. Years ago, there has been an User who published his or her own Bokurano fanfiction as Novel translation. When people found out, they were like super angry about that. I haven't known about that when it happened, but I was able to read through this fanfiction last weekend since a good friend sent it to me. I think it is a good fanfiction and I really enjoyed reading it. Just saying.

In 2013 I decided to translate Bokurano alternative the way it actually is and started with Waku's chapter since he is my favourite character. I tried to register on BT because a good friend gave me the advice to do so, but it didn't work back then somehow. Idk.. XD
After that real life got me fully back and I had lots of stuff to do. Now I'm back.
Now it is up to me to offer a good translation with the true (!) content.

I'm honestly doing my best to use good grammar and good words! I really do! My translations are readable. There's nothing to edit, srsly. If I need someones help with the English language, I go ask my English friends before posting my translation. I do not make weird sentences!
Since Bokurano alternative has really complex content, I do not want people to make any changes without my knowledge. I guess I just want to prevent it from becoming fanfiction (again). It's like a card house. You just can't exchange a card which is already used for building the house. And of course to build the house, you need to know how to do so.

That's why I want to get notified about a found error. I want to talk about it. I want to know if it really is an error or if it's just something else. Also, if it really is an error, I would love to make a correction of my own documents as well.

Sadly I have someone in mind who might come and make changes. Hell no!

Since I'm still about to explore BT I do not have experienced a bad edit. This means I didn't have the time to make comparisons. Maybe will do so if I have the time, dunno. The offers for editing I stumbled over were just not trustworthy for me. Sorry to say so. Can't help, I'm a honest person.

Though I'm very happy to read, that you had good experiences with the editors and BT at all. Hope your translations are going well, too! Thanks for not judging my decision!
Just watch, I'll do it!
manlyflower
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Hyouka :3

Post by manlyflower »

WakuKun wrote:Though I'm very happy to read, that you had good experiences with the editors and BT at all. Hope your translations are going well, too! Thanks for not judging my decision!
No problem man!

What a civil discussion 8)
WakuKun
Project Translator

Bokurano Alternative

Post by WakuKun »

Hey everyone,

I decided to start a Teaser Project for 'Bokurano Alternative' after I was overthinking my first decision to not do it.

Bokurano Alternative is a alternate retelling of the Manga series Bokurano (written and illustrated by Mohiro Kitoh), written by Renji Ohki and Mohiro Kitoh, who also did the illustrations.

It's about 15 children, who were chosen to pilot a giant 500m tall robot to defend the earth.

I recently uploaded chapter 5. I will upload chapter 2 next week, when I finished translating it. After that, I will start to translate chapter 1.

If you would like to read Bokurano Alternative from the beginning, please wait until I have translated and uploaded chapter 1.

Here's the Teaser Project:

https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/inde ... lternative

Tell me what'ya think!
Just watch, I'll do it!
Cthaeh
Yuki-Nagator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Cthaeh »

Just a note, I merged the two threads (FPS and Teasers) into Teasers so that there's just one thread for the series. I also edited the first post of the thread to add the details given in WakuKun's post. Good luck with the translation project.
WakuKun
Project Translator

Post by WakuKun »

Sorry everyone.
I removed my translations from BT because I can't continue to contribute under the current circumstances.
My translation for Bokurano Alternative can still be found on my homepage.

EDIT: Volume 1 is complete now.
Just watch, I'll do it!

Return to “Future Project Suggestions”