Kage Kara Mamoru (陰からマモル)

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Know a great light novel series that should be translated? Tell us here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Please read the New Project Petition Guidelines before posting!

"Do you wish to see this Novel (series) Translated?"

"Yes"
99%
"Not Really" (Please give a reason)
1%
"No" (Please give a reason)
No votes

Total votes: 71

Krikit
Mikuru Bunny
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Kage Kara Mamoru (陰からマモル)

Post by Krikit »

http://www.popcultureshock.com/manga-re ... l-1/44148/

You’d think being a highly-skilled ninja would be a dream come true, but tell that to Mamoru Kagemori, the main character of Mamoru the Shadow Protector. For him, coming from a family of great warriors brings nothing but headaches, given their duty to protect the wealthy Konnyaku family. Luckily for us, his trials and tribulations translate into an entertaining, cutely-drawn manga that never takes itself too seriously, even if the main character does.

First, this isn't really a project suggestion, I just didn't know where else to bring it up.

Anyway, for any of you who remember the Anime which aired a few years back, it ended after 12 episodes, but the novels continued up til Volume 12 in March, 2008. Then, there hasn't been anything, until I just recently found out that there was a new series which started as of this month in fact, called:

も~っと!陰からマモル!

More! Kage kara Mamoru!

The First Volume was released this month, in July, just a week or so ago.

My second pet peeve, it seems everywhere I look, the english version of the book is called "Mamoru the Shadow"

WHY!???

It's not 陰のマモル, it's 陰からマモル, which is a Japanese pun with ~2 meanings, but the best one I think is to take the katakana for "mamoru" as a name, and structure it as "Mamoru from the Shadow" (I know it's not as smooth flowing as "Mamoru the Shadow" but the meaning is a bit off with the later. He isn't "The Shadow," he's "from the shadow." *note* from the shadow, means to protect from the shadows, but i'm not using dramatic lisence to add in a word that isn't there, though it would make the translation more understandable. "Mamoru the Shadow Protector"

I'm pretty sure this is right, I mean it seems some random post on Wikipedia is what started the title naming as "Mamoru the Shadow," but it should really be either:

"Protect from the Shadows" (which is a pun with 2 meanings. One to protect Yuuna from harm, and the other is that someone is protecting from (within) the shadows.

"Mamoru from the Shadows" (which takes the katakana version of "守る" *マモル* to be referring to his name.

As you can see, it was a pun/joke in the Japanese title...but how it got romanized to "Mamoru the Shadow" is beyond me...The only good thing going for it is that it sounds better....lol...

That's it for that rant. Also, I've started reading volume 1, and I'll be reading through the series I think. I want to know how far the novels went past the anime, :)
Last edited by Krikit on Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Re: Kage Kara Mamoru (陰からマモル)

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

Interestingly enough, i have heard of this anime, but i had thought that it was a manga series, since i have only seen the manga, not the novel.

Its a story about a ninja who has been guarding his neighbour's family for generations for an absurd reason. Yet still, they are ninjas that follow orders, no matter how absurd it may be. So the protagonist has to take care of this air-headed girl without anyone noticing that hes a ninja. He acts really useless on the surface, and has to take care of his "master" at all times, since she does create the weirdest of situations(taking a walk can get her into trouble with mafia, trips on flat ground, gets attracted by the weirdest of things)

Eventually, as always, some other females are attracted by him after seeing his ninja coolness(with some exceptions that actually likes him in his stupid form), and so the story goes.

Krikit, do tell me more about the series? I am kinda interested, its a funny anime+manga, so i would expect the novel to be the same, if not better.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Well, I only know a little bit at the moment. I watched the anime version a while back, and am only know reading the books. I'm on volume 1 at the moment, and already noticing some differences from the anime. (to be expected I guess).

I don't know anything about the manga though, so you'll know more about that.

First, I want to say now that I know what the title is "supposed" to be.

At the end of chapter 1, last 2 sentences, it says:
Spoiler! :
陰から守る。 (kage kara mamoru)
それが、マモルの使命なのだ。 (sore ga, mamoru no shimei na noda)

(To protect her from (within) the shadows)
That was, Mamoru's duty/mission/etc.
Then again on page 117, it says:
Spoiler! :
だけど、ゆうながもし行くって言ったら、一人で行かせる訳にはいかない。
陰から守る。
それが陰守家の掟だ。

But, If Yuuna said she was going, there was no way he could let her go alone.
To protect (the konnyaku family) from the shadows.
That was the code of the Kagemori household.
So I really get a high impression that the meaning is to protect Yuuna from harm, doing so secretely. Protect from the Shadows. Then, it's to Protect from the Shadows as in a "place."

In the end, I think Seven Seas did the right thing by using dramatic license to change it to:

Next Door Ninja

It's definitely not literal, but it maintains the comedic aspect, which is a huge part of the novel series. When you compare "Next Door Ninja," and "Mamoru the Shadow," which sounds more literal to the story?

Also, DrMaster seems to have got an okay grip on the literal translation of the title, as they call it "Mamoru the Shadow Protector." It's better that "Mamoru the Shadow," because it uses some dramatic license to explain the japanese pun, by putting the fact that he isn't a/the "shadow," but a protect from/within the shadows.

Anyway, to answer your question Shadow, here's what I know so far. check out this link for a better detailed description.

http://www.popcultureshock.com/manga-re ... l-1/44148/

You’d think being a highly-skilled ninja would be a dream come true, but tell that to Mamoru Kagemori, the main character of Mamoru the Shadow Protector. For him, coming from a family of great warriors brings nothing but headaches, given their duty to protect the wealthy Konnyaku family. Luckily for us, his trials and tribulations translate into an entertaining, cutely-drawn manga that never takes itself too seriously, even if the main character does.
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

As for the title - you dont want to know what bad titles sometimes english -> german translated books did get... they are often as far away as they could get from the original title, if they have at all a connection to the original title... :x
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

lol. you're making me wonder what the german for the book would be, :)

As for what it means, I've come to a conclusion, and it's pretty much like I was wrong to assume that it meant "Mamoru is protecting Yuuna from evil."

It really does mean "Mamoru is protecting Yuuna without revealing himself."

I know this now because of paragraphs I keep coming across that use the title, and the way it's written. So Mamoru the Shadow could work for a translation, but it's still not literal...Mamoru! Protecting from the Shadows! would be the best literal translation, but it's way too long...so I guess Mamoru the Shadow (protector) works fine.

I'll be writing a blow by blow of the first volume soon, just 2 chapters left. I'll compare it to the anime. There's already tons of differences.

One of the most notable ones is that when the Boss tries to "get rid" of Yuuna, he gets a group from a Zoo to do it. So come one Sunday, Yuuna, Mamoru, and Airi all go to the Zoo. Then there is this one point, where Mamoru takes a noon nap, and Airi does too. Then Yuuna comes back from playing catch with Burumara (dog) to see Airi's hand in Mamoru's. Without thinking or anything, she first lifts Airi's hand away from Mamoru's, and then wakes her up. It was like the most...ahh~ Yuuna's awesome! type moments...lol
ShadowZeroHeart

Krikit wrote:lol. you're making me wonder what the german for the book would be, :)

As for what it means, I've come to a conclusion, and it's pretty much like I was wrong to assume that it meant "Mamoru is protecting Yuuna from evil."

It really does mean "Mamoru is protecting Yuuna without revealing himself."

I know this now because of paragraphs I keep coming across that use the title, and the way it's written. So Mamoru the Shadow could work for a translation, but it's still not literal...Mamoru! Protecting from the Shadows! would be the best literal translation, but it's way too long...so I guess Mamoru the Shadow (protector) works fine.

I'll be writing a blow by blow of the first volume soon, just 2 chapters left. I'll compare it to the anime. There's already tons of differences.

One of the most notable ones is that when the Boss tries to "get rid" of Yuuna, he gets a group from a Zoo to do it. So come one Sunday, Yuuna, Mamoru, and Airi all go to the Zoo. Then there is this one point, where Mamoru takes a noon nap, and Airi does too. Then Yuuna comes back from playing catch with Burumara (dog) to see Airi's hand in Mamoru's. Without thinking or anything, she first lifts Airi's hand away from Mamoru's, and then wakes her up. It was like the most...ahh~ Yuuna's awesome! type moments...lol
Isnt that in the anime? or was it in the manga? i recall seeing that scene somewhere... And the Zoo was ran down by Yuuna, that was one of her awesome moments too!!
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Akima-Heika
Astral Realm

Post by Akima-Heika »

If there is a novel series i would love to read it
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Poll created - now it's ready for votes, too.
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

Kage Kara Mamoru!

I would actually really like to see this series translated...maybe I can do it? (Don't hold your breath. At least until April. That's when I start University, and settle in.
ShadowZeroHeart

Krikit wrote:Kage Kara Mamoru!

I would actually really like to see this series translated...maybe I can do it? (Don't hold your breath. At least until April. That's when I start University, and settle in.
You can try it, but University is not gonna be a walk in the park, or at least, for stupid me, its not. =X
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
quethiril
Project Translator

Post by quethiril »

Krikit wrote:Kage Kara Mamoru!

What are you doing now, that you would say "wait until I start University" to take on a project? :shock:
ShadowZeroHeart

If i recall... this was on the same licensed list of one of the companies? Doubt we should attempt it then? Maybe we need more research?

P.S. a "appears to have halted" licensed project does not allow us to work upon it unless the license expires
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Krikit
Mikuru Bunny

Post by Krikit »

the manga was licensed, and is being released. think the anime too. The books have yet to be touched. if someone has different info, please let me know.

as for now, i've got entrance exams to a different university on the 26th, and am studying the japanese so I can prepare for the coursework when I enter the university. there is an interview on the third. I also work part time. after university starts, I have to worry about 16 credits, and keeping up with classes, which is why I've still delegated it as a "maybe" depending on what the future schedule holds. Also, I'll be without internet for a month or two.
ShadowZeroHeart

Krikit wrote:the manga was licensed, and is being released. think the anime too. The books have yet to be touched. if someone has different info, please let me know.

as for now, i've got entrance exams to a different university on the 26th, and am studying the japanese so I can prepare for the coursework when I enter the university. there is an interview on the third. I also work part time. after university starts, I have to worry about 16 credits, and keeping up with classes, which is why I've still delegated it as a "maybe" depending on what the future schedule holds. Also, I'll be without internet for a month or two.
Seven Seas licensed ZnT along with Kage Kara Mamoru the novel it seems, just that both did not get a single volume translated... So it is best not to attempt on it? At least it might be troublesome
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,

Return to “Future Project Suggestions”