If a licensed series is dropped, can you pick it up?

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Know a great light novel series that should be translated? Tell us here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Please read the New Project Petition Guidelines before posting!
bakaneko5571
Astral Realm

If a licensed series is dropped, can you pick it up?

Post by bakaneko5571 »

I'm a noob on this site, so I hope I'm not stepping on any toes.

I have several series that I grabbed one or two of in stores, only for them to get dropped. Examples are: Scrapped Princess and the .hack series from the late Tokyopop, and Moribito. I was recommended to your site by another site I visit regularly, and not to butter you up, but they said you're the best chance for getting light novel translations.

I won't be offended if you say no, but now that these series are dead in the water, so to speak, is there a chance that you might pick up where they left off?
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: If a licensed series is dropped, can you pick it up?

Post by Mystes »

If it is no longer licenced, then technically, YES.

However, we need to know if the book has a license, then if there are translators. Also, maybe another company, like Viz, might just pick it uo.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Post by ainsoph9 »

Although it is long, read this thread to kind of get a more thorough idea on the range of opinions here.
bakaneko5571
Astral Realm

Post by bakaneko5571 »

Thanks! I perused the thread, all 16 pages. The only series I'm seeking is .hack at the moment. Volumes 1-3 of .hack//G.U. are still available in the States, albeit in limited supply with Borders going out of business. I've seen Volume 4 being sold on Amazon from European addresses. .hack//cell has two volumes out here. I'm unsure how much further either of them are continuing in Japan. My Google and Wikipedia searches haven't yielded anything in that aspect. Like I said before, if you say you can't do it, I won't be offended. I was just wondering if it's worth getting my hopes up. Thanks for your responses!
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

bakaneko5571 wrote:Thanks! I perused the thread, all 16 pages. The only series I'm seeking is .hack at the moment. Volumes 1-3 of .hack//G.U. are still available in the States, albeit in limited supply with Borders going out of business. I've seen Volume 4 being sold on Amazon from European addresses. .hack//cell has two volumes out here. I'm unsure how much further either of them are continuing in Japan. My Google and Wikipedia searches haven't yielded anything in that aspect. Like I said before, if you say you can't do it, I won't be offended. I was just wondering if it's worth getting my hopes up. Thanks for your responses!
.hack CELL has only two volumes, and ended there.

G.U. i am not sure, I think I have the volumes, but I nvr read it. There is also a series for the first hack game if I recall.

Though I own some of the novels, I have only read CELL, its not that badly written, but its not all that great either, one reason being the length. The literature and description is quite good.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
bakaneko5571
Astral Realm

Post by bakaneko5571 »

OK my local library has both of the .hack//cell novels and 1-3 of .hack///G.U. I'll have to get volume 4 off one of Amazon's UK sellers. I thought the series were longer. Thanks!

How about Moribito? I know two books were printed in English, and I never heard of any more. Apparently it's like an 18 book series in Japan. The anime wasn't huge, mainly because there wasn't a lot of fast paced action. I enjoyed it though. Whatever help you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks!
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

bakaneko5571 wrote:OK my local library has both of the .hack//cell novels and 1-3 of .hack///G.U. I'll have to get volume 4 off one of Amazon's UK sellers. I thought the series were longer. Thanks!

How about Moribito? I know two books were printed in English, and I never heard of any more. Apparently it's like an 18 book series in Japan. The anime wasn't huge, mainly because there wasn't a lot of fast paced action. I enjoyed it though. Whatever help you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sorry, I have never read it before, so I can't be sure about this one, try the other members of this forum.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!

Return to “Future Project Suggestions”