Miniskirt Space Pirates (Miniskirt Uchuu Kaizoku) (Novel)

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Know a great light novel series that should be translated? Tell us here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Please read the New Project Petition Guidelines before posting!

Do you wish to see this Novel (series) Translated?

Yes
99%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
0%
No (Please give a reason)
0%

Total votes: 802

zensunni
Elite Haruhiist
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Miniskirt Space Pirates (Miniskirt Uchuu Kaizoku) (Novel)

Post by zensunni »

Mini-Skirt Space Pirates (Miniskirt Uchuu Kaizoku - ミニスカ宇宙海賊 (ミニスカパイレーツ))

Synopsis: (from Wikipedia)
In the far future where space travel has become the norm, Marika Kato is a high school girl living a rather ordinary life as a member of the space yacht club and a part-time job at a high-class retro café. One day, Marika meets subordinates of her recently deceased father who reveal her father was a space pirate. By law, only direct descendants can inherit her father's spaceship, the Bentenmaru, which her father's subordinates ask that she takes over as their new Captain. Thus begins Marika's life as a Space Pirate
The source material for the Winter 2012 anime Moretsu Pirates also known as Bodacious Space Pirates.

Publication data:
Written by Yūichi Sasamoto
Published by Asahi Shimbun
Demographic Male
Original run October 2008 – possibly complete? maybe ongoing?
Volumes 8

I have not found any indication that this series has been licensed by a US publisher. If anyone knows otherwise, feel free to kill the poll and thread!
Last edited by zensunni on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Now blogging at Nabe!!.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Miniskirt Pirates (Miniskirt Uchuu Kaizoku)

Post by Mystes »

More info, please. And read the Petition guidelines before starting a project.
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
zensunni
Elite Haruhiist

Re: Miniskirt Pirates (Miniskirt Uchuu Kaizoku)

Post by zensunni »

Kira0802 wrote:More info, please. And read the Petition guidelines before starting a project.
Thanks for pointing that out! Sorry I missed it the first time...

I re-posted the first message with more info and a poll.
Now blogging at Nabe!!.
Mystes
Heaven's Blade Successor
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Miniskirt Space Pirates (Miniskirt Uchuu Kaizoku) (Novel

Post by Mystes »

Heh...I haven't watched this yet. But I heard that the ANN website editor gave this a 5/5. (Which he never did, I think. :lol: )
Kira0802

#campione at rizon for some #campione discussions~~ And other stuffs.
Kadi
Yuki Elf

Post by Kadi »

The anime's not 5/5, but it's not as bad as the OP or the title make it seem, either. It's more like the opposite of that.

And I can't decisively explain why, but I like it surprisingly much.
"Oniichan... Did you just have your own ignition?" - Rika
『また兄さんに騙されました・・・・・・。これで通算482回目ですよ』-さくや
「お金持ちだから」-巣鴨涼
『もきゅ!』
chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

the anime has been interesting for now
larethian
I.D.S.E Humanoid Interface [LSB]
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by larethian »

Whoa, the novel illustration of Marika is so much better than the chara design in the anime. She looks kind of badass in the novel illus (her eyes especially). The anime is pretty boring to me so far.
jasae bushae
Astral Realm

Post by jasae bushae »

I really really want to see this one translated X3 even as a one chapter teaser just to see what it is like X3
Rednal
Temporal Time Variant Entity

Post by Rednal »

I have to admit, the anime's been quite surprising thus far. I wasn't really expecting this kind of... pacing. Others seem to feel the same way, so I can see there being a decent amount of interest in this as a project.
Vmb
Reader
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Vmb »

So far the anime has been a little slow but it's still pretty interesting, I wonder how the novels compare
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by jonathanasdf »

I feel that the anime has been a bit too slow, like it's right at the pace where I can't tell at all whether they intend for it to be a slice-of-life anime or an action-adventure anime. Since I was hoping for an action-adventure one, I was hoping for it to have been a bit faster.
nichijoudan
Kyonist

Post by nichijoudan »

jonathanasdf wrote:I feel that the anime has been a bit too slow, like it's right at the pace where I can't tell at all whether they intend for it to be a slice-of-life anime or an action-adventure anime. Since I was hoping for an action-adventure one, I was hoping for it to have been a bit faster.
I have the same feeling. They open with a nice hook, then get sidetracked. It had a nice Kiddy Grade feeling at the very beginning, with an expansive pre-defined world with lots of backstory. But now it slowed to a crawl while they go on a field trip. Don't know how that relates to the LN, though.
Writers are masochists and sadists. We slice off pieces of ourselves to create characters we love, only to conjure the worst possible situations for those creations.

"Everyday life is a joke."
jonathanasdf
Kyon's Imouto-Chan

Post by jonathanasdf »

though, granted, it IS 26 episodes (yay!) and not the normal 12-13 episodes so that gives them the ability to go slower. Now that she's made up her mind I'm expecting to see the pace pick up :D
Naeko
Devoted Haruhiist

Post by Naeko »

Does the anime explain why "Miniskirt" is part of the title? Does wearing a miniskirt endow a pirate with extra powers or skills?
zensunni
Elite Haruhiist

Post by zensunni »

Naeko wrote:Does the anime explain why "Miniskirt" is part of the title? Does wearing a miniskirt endow a pirate with extra powers or skills?
Actually, the anime doesn't even use the word "Miniskirt" in the title, but uses "Moretsu" which is translated as "Bodacious". (Even on logo for the show the StarChild web-site for the series.)

I would suspect that it refers to the fact that she is a schoolgirl and wears a school uniform with a miniskirt. (Why schoolgirls wear miniskirts in anime, manga, and light novels is another question altogether! Never having been to Japan, I don't know if school uniforms are really like that...)

So far I have loved the show. I like the pace, as it gave them time to do character development and world building. If she had jumped right into the captain's seat, there would have been much eye rolling, instead people complain about it being slow... Can't win for losing! It has a real, classic SF feel to it, and it seems pretty solid in terms of the science.

The author, Yūichi Sasamoto, won the Seiun Award in 2005, which is the Japanese equivalent of the Nebula award, for the novel Ariel, and wrote the script for the OVA version of it. He also has won three Seiun Awards for nonfiction in 2003, 2004, and 2007 for his three volume Passport to the Universe books. So it sounds like he knows his stuff... :)
Now blogging at Nabe!!.

Return to “Future Project Suggestions”