Bara No Maria

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Know a great light novel series that should be translated? Tell us here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Please read the New Project Petition Guidelines before posting!

Do you wish to see this novel translated?

Yes
98%
Not Really (Please give a reason)
No votes
No (Please give a reason)
2%

Total votes: 121

SolBalmung
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Bara No Maria

Post by SolBalmung »

Author: JYUMONJI Ao
Illustrator: BUNBUN
Publisher: Kadokawa Shoten
Summary:
Maria Rose is burdened with debt after a strange event, and her sword, "Fake Consuming Inferno" is confiscated. At that time, Katari, a member of her clan, got a hold of some profitable information, but to obtain it, they have to go to an "Underground Raid", but things aren't as easy as it seems...
I know it's not much of a Summary, the only one I found btw so I'll try explaining bit (as I've read the manga that is the adaptation of the LN); The story take place in world of heroic phantasy where people called "crackers" (much like adventurers and treasure hunters) form guilds and go explore underground labyrinths that reeks of danger and treasure. Now the story revolves around the main protagonist Maria Rose,(wich gender is still a mystery for me as he/she have girlish traits and aspects yet proclaim to be a guy) and the guild it belongs too.
Light Novel Cover:
Light Novel Illustrations:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by SolBalmung on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowZeroHeart
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: Bara No Maria

Post by ShadowZeroHeart »

SolBalmung wrote:Author: JYUMONJI Ao
Illustrator: BUNBUN
Publisher: Kadokawa Shoten
Summary:
Maria Rose is burdened with debt after a strange event, and her sword, "Fake Consuming Inferno" is confiscated. At that time, Katari, a member of her clan, got a hold of some profitable information, but to obtain it, they have to go to an "Underground Raid", but things aren't as easy as it seems...
I know it's not much of a Summary, the only one I found btw so I'll try explaining bit (as I've read the manga that is the adaptation of the LN); The story take place in world of heroic phantasy where people called "crackers" (much like adventurers and treasure hunters) form guilds and go explore underground labyrinths that reeks of danger and treasure. Now the story revolves around the main protagonist Maria Rose,(wich gender is still a mystery for me as he/she have girlish traits and aspects yet proclaim to be a guy) and the guild it belongs too.
Light Novel Cover:
Light Novel Illustrations:
ImageImage
ImageImage

No offense, but her sword was never confiscated...

Maria's gender is still hidden, but there are indications that show that it is probably a she...

Personally, its a rather good novel, but I don't recommend reading it. It is a novel that is of the dark side seriously... Rape, murder, robbery, arson, betrayal, insanity... You name it, they have it.

Maria is a beautiful person(gender yet to be revealed up to where I read), and Maria seems to have been a slave. His/her beauty captivated his/her owner, causing his/her owner to be over-possessive of him/her. Unlike other slaves, Maria was treated differently, and was all alone. (Whenever someone gets close to Maria, the owner would cause the eventual death of that person, as Maria is that special to him. Maria picked up his/her alchemy skills from the owner, but is simply a jack-of-all-trades, master of none.)

Maria's weapon is a fake of the "Consuming Inferno", and with the group they are in, upon hearing that the real deal is actually located under the labyrinth under the city, they decided to have a go at it.

Members of the group Maria is in...(You definitely need some normal people in there, seriously), also some other side characters(Cant recall the names at such short notice, sorry):

Maria, gender unknown, no special qualities other than exceptional looks, some alchemy skills. Eventually became acting leader of the guild, because Maria has the clearest mind, and his/her lack of abilities and quick reflexes places him/her at a good position to oversee everything. Maria is pestered by a guy, leader of another guild, bearing an insanely strong weapon and is almost capable to fight against Tomato-kun? They have yet to truly go all out, so I can't say for sure who will win yet.

Tomato-kun, real name unknown, was known as Melon-kun last time. Leader of the guild/group. Does not seem to care about details. Appears to have lived for perhaps centuries. Was well-known in a period of time? His armor allows him to change into a form even mightier than he normally is, and is almost as strong as a demi-god?

The cleric you see in the illustration is like an elder sister in the guild. Her relationship is closest to the monk in the guild, yet at the same time you can consider it as the most distant. Despite her cheerful attitude, she packs a punch, as she was trained by the monk. It was revealed that she isn't who she really is. I am not sure which to consider her as... Once, Tomato-kun and the monk passed by the streets and saw a pair of sisters, dead. I think it was the elder sister, who got killed physically, but her brain was still usable, and the younger sister had her brain killed. The monk suddenly had a "stroke of genius and curiosity", what happens if I resurrect these two girls? She was the result. The monk feels extreme guilt towards her, thus teaching her the martial arts that she requested. Monk believes that she hates him, and there are indications that goes both ways.

Behind the cleric in the illustration, the left most is a pale looking girl. Born upon a star of misfortune, she brought misery to all around her. Despite that, her fate also made her into one of the most talented mages around. She was expelled by her master if I recall, and despite her master telling her to go in a certain direction(forgot which direction), she looked into her own fate/destiny(fortune telling), and saw that if she could find someone in blazing armor(Tomato-kun fits the description), she could change her fate. Fell in love with Tomato-kun, making her really shy towards him. P.S. The one beside her in the illustration is Tomato-kun.

The one beside the red-haired Maria is Mr. Fish. I can't recall his name, but because of his looks, he is always referred to as being a Merman/Fish. Maria makes fun of this trait of his a lot. Wields dual axes, and is the weakest in the group, being only stronger than Maria. Is of average standards(The rest of the guild are all a little extraordinary). Specialty is dying(and getting revived. With monks, and equipment, and paying a hefty sum, one can get a revival).

Tomato-kun has a slave that rarely talks. This slave obeys Tomato-kun to the extent that if Tomato-kun tells him to go and die, he would jump and kill himself willingly and happily. This slave was an ex-assassin, brainwashed and manipulated for maximum effect. He had someone he loved, only to eventually find out that everything she has said to him were all pre-made, just so he would fall in love with her, make love with her, and cannot leave her so he can be manipulated by their master. Eventually left, and met Tomato-kun. Wields twin daggers, one for slicing, the other for ripping, thus allowing him to perform any type of kills. Very swift and strong.

Monk, one of the rare and talented. While a resurrection would require about 10 monks, he could project himself into multiple images and conduct the revival ceremony alone. Due to having broken some rules, he was expelled from his temple, and he happily joins Tomato-kun and his gang.

There is a hunter girl that is occasionally with the group, but not all too often. Has a partner wolf by her side that only listens and obeys her. Loves Tomato-kun ever since she was young. This also implies that Tomato-kun does not seem to show any signs of aging, but she does not care. Archer type.

There is also a friend of the group, a rather old man with a maid. Seems to know some parts of Tomato-kun's past, but not much revealed. Joined them in one arc of the story.

Side character:

There is a mage wielding an oversized sword, a girl that brings Maria trouble all the time. Very ignorant and stupid, yet tries hard to do her best, but gets into more trouble. She once saved a man, who eventually became her guardian, and hates Maria, showing perhaps signs of jealousy? or simply due to Maria's bad attitude to this mage. Later in the story it was revealed that the mage is actually about to die. Master mages sometimes see children bearing magical gift and would steal these babies from their parents. This mage is one example. Upon the master's experiments, her brain is pretty much fried, and she had to live on "supplements" by her teacher. Having met one of her seniors that ran away from the master, the senior revealed that those supplements were one of the reasons why she got her brain fried, yet if she stops taking it, she would die even sooner. Even so, she refuses to believe it. This drove her guardian quite mad, but could do nothing about it. The reason she wield such a big sword is because that was a gift from her master, and the senior revealed that it was an indication that she has lost the magical abilities she was born with, and could not be a mage, thus the master giving her a sword instead. Fails with magic often, but her guardian(due to her mistake, his body can take in some magic to boost his powers) tries to help her as far as possible.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
The violence brought about by sinful men
Shall now be used once more.
If you were created to save this world,
If there is a single shred of hope left for the future of mankind,
I am very sorry, but, please begone!
ShadowZeroHeart

A double post, but i guess my information about the story got a little too long. Anyway I will just tell you my comments on this series.

The world is incredibly refined and well-established. The setting of the city was a place where monsters rage, the underground maze unexplored, and monsters respawn quickly. This allowed them to get materials and equipment to sell. Of course, that is how it sounds on the outside. Inside, people die everyday, not due to only monsters. Robbers, murderers, crazy guilds, slaves, you name it, it is all there. It is a lawless city where you can do anything, and people can do anything to you. While some imagine it as a place of dreams, more would only come to realize that it is a nightmare.

Despite its completeness in the story, I would say this is a crazy story, in terms of the characters. Almost everyone seemed mad. They have sad stories, that we can understand, but they are almost all insane, seriously. There was one baddie, that if i recall, sat on a seat made from women who he toyed around with so much so they went out of energy. An ally of his, who got powers due to her promise to maintain chastity, had her eyeballs dug out and got raped by this baddie in front of her protector's eyes, who was helpless against this insane but powerful foe. One of the most renowned warriors and leader of a powerful and righteous guild, was killed by a trap set by this baddie, and his body humiliated, which was a great shame onto this guild's name, as they had to fled without taking revenge.

Seeing these happenings, I am sure you can imagine how crazy this world setting really is. No matter how complete and refined it may be, I CANNOT and WILL NOT recommend people to read it. You may read it at your own leisure and risk, but though I do read it, I DO NOT RECOMMEND this series to others due to its insanity.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
Doraneko
Project Translator

Post by Doraneko »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Seeing these happenings, I am sure you can imagine how crazy this world setting really is. No matter how complete and refined it may be, I CANNOT and WILL NOT recommend people to read it. You may read it at your own leisure and risk, but though I do read it, I DO NOT RECOMMEND this series to others due to its insanity.
Good stories are those that can bring out the emotions of the characters as well as the readers - be they the emotions of joy, sadness, fear or disgust. On the other hand poorly written stories are those that you don't care at all as a reader and may even have difficulties finishing them.

I have not read the story yet, but dismissing it on the ground of craziness alone seems to be not doing justice to it. If the craziness is in fact good writing that pulls you right into the conflicts and moral dilemmas the characters face in the fictional world, then I am all for it. If on the other hand the insanity is there only for shock value but failed to let readers create any sort of attachment, then it is a poor series not fit to be recommended.

At least from what I have read in your posts, it sounds like quite decently-written. :)
My light novel review blog: ラノなの!@ novel.co.nr
SolBalmung
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by SolBalmung »

To be honest, ShadowZeroHeart comment made me want to read Maria No Bara more than ever!! I love dark, harsh stories where everyone isn't always happy and good win over evil. Where the plot isn't about a prince saving a princesss and then living ever after happily. In the manga there was a small reference about how the world where the story takes place is one wich is pitiless and full of anarchy, rape and insanity. Then the manga was more about the comic aspect of Maria and her guildmates and their everyday. When I read Zero comment I was really surprised and excited. Hope this picked the interest of a translator as I've already got the 8 first raws LN.
ShadowZeroHeart

Doraneko wrote:
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:Seeing these happenings, I am sure you can imagine how crazy this world setting really is. No matter how complete and refined it may be, I CANNOT and WILL NOT recommend people to read it. You may read it at your own leisure and risk, but though I do read it, I DO NOT RECOMMEND this series to others due to its insanity.
Good stories are those that can bring out the emotions of the characters as well as the readers - be they the emotions of joy, sadness, fear or disgust. On the other hand poorly written stories are those that you don't care at all as a reader and may even have difficulties finishing them.

I have not read the story yet, but dismissing it on the ground of craziness alone seems to be not doing justice to it. If the craziness is in fact good writing that pulls you right into the conflicts and moral dilemmas the characters face in the fictional world, then I am all for it. If on the other hand the insanity is there only for shock value but failed to let readers create any sort of attachment, then it is a poor series not fit to be recommended.

At least from what I have read in your posts, it sounds like quite decently-written. :)
It is a fantastic story, just that it disgusts readers to quite some extent. Which is why i cannot recommend it to others, but it is definitely a good story. As you mentioned, this story brings out the emotions of the readers very well. I ain't dismissing it, just that I won't say "Hey everyone, lets go crazy with this crazy story!". For those who are interested, they can join in and read it. I mean, personally I read it, and I am considering continuing to read it (Some arcs are like 3volumes long? And it takes ages to translate a single volume, reading up to cliff hangers are a little painful then.)

If I recall, the one who stalks Maria was hinted to be a royalty of a country, where the people there may be deformed(multiple hand? legs? mutated, rotten, anything and everything you can think of?), and the role of royalty is to appease them by "servicing" them, all their citizens for as long as they wish.

Maria once caused the death of Mr. Fish, due to his/her shock at one period of time, and him acting as shield. However, all the temples and resurrection devices in town was destroyed, so they have to hunt for another within a short period of time, dragging and protecting the corpse to revive him.

Overall, the story is very well-built, established and written. It is a good story, just that its disgusting parts kinda makes it hard for me to tell everyone to read it.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
SolBalmung
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by SolBalmung »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
It is a fantastic story, just that it disgusts readers to quite some extent. Which is why i cannot recommend it to others, but it is definitely a good story. As you mentioned, this story brings out the emotions of the readers very well. I ain't dismissing it, just that I won't say "Hey everyone, lets go crazy with this crazy story!". For those who are interested, they can join in and read it. I mean, personally I read it, and I am considering continuing to read it (Some arcs are like 3volumes long? And it takes ages to translate a single volume, reading up to cliff hangers are a little painful then.)

If I recall, the one who stalks Maria was hinted to be a royalty of a country, where the people there may be deformed(multiple hand? legs? mutated, rotten, anything and everything you can think of?), and the role of royalty is to appease them by "servicing" them, all their citizens for as long as they wish.

Maria once caused the death of Mr. Fish, due to his/her shock at one period of time, and him acting as shield. However, all the temples and resurrection devices in town was destroyed, so they have to hunt for another within a short period of time, dragging and protecting the corpse to revive him.

Overall, the story is very well-built, established and written. It is a good story, just that its disgusting parts kinda makes it hard for me to tell everyone to read it.
The stalker you are talking about is named Azian, he's the leader of a guild (the name of the guild isn't mentionned though, and his guildmates appear briefly for 2,3 pages, both females. I'm talking about the manga ofc)and he wield a dagger that do some kind of super sonic howl as attack. The manga had the focal point the relationship between Azian and Maria, as a comic one though and nothing serious. Aizen stalking Maria and declaring his love while protecting him/her.

Wow, Aizen bieng a prince is kind of shocking yet expected bieng the handsome powerful bishonen that he is!
ShadowZeroHeart

SolBalmung wrote:
ShadowZeroHeart wrote:

The stalker you are talking about is named Azian, he's the leader of a guild (the name of the guild isn't mentionned though, and his guildmates appear briefly for 2,3 pages, both females. I'm talking about the manga ofc)and he wield a dagger that do some kind of super sonic howl as attack. The manga had the focal point the relationship between Azian and Maria, as a comic one though and nothing serious. Aizen stalking Maria and declaring his love while protecting him/her.

Wow, Aizen bieng a prince is kind of shocking yet expected bieng the handsome powerful bishonen that he is!
I suppose you skipped out entirely on what a "prince" like him should do...

The dagger is as you mentioned, does a super sonic attack. Its a dagger forged with the deaths of many, with their cries sealed in the dagger. Can't recall the details, but it is an ancient artifact just as some of their equipments are. In the novel, Maria at some points in time considered about his/her relationship with Aizen, and then threw the thought away. Together with Maria mentioning lying towards a girl that seems to be in love with him/her hints to the fact that Maria may indeed be female. If I recall, the Monk knows of his/her true gender, as Maria was unconscious once and the monk tended to him/her, including the changing of clothes. While the monk does not disclose it, he mentioned that Maria does not need to talk about his/her secret, as almost everyone in the city or that world has their own secrets, and that he will keep mum about it, as he is still a monk afterall, even if he was expelled. However, these are no clear evidence, just assumptions one may make upon reading it. If the author throws in something else, who knows? But yes, I think that basically covers most of what you can come to know about the characters.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
SolBalmung
Mikuru's Master
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by SolBalmung »

ShadowZeroHeart wrote:
SolBalmung wrote:

I suppose you skipped out entirely on what a "prince" like him should do...

The dagger is as you mentioned, does a super sonic attack. Its a dagger forged with the deaths of many, with their cries sealed in the dagger. Can't recall the details, but it is an ancient artifact just as some of their equipments are. In the novel, Maria at some points in time considered about his/her relationship with Aizen, and then threw the thought away. Together with Maria mentioning lying towards a girl that seems to be in love with him/her hints to the fact that Maria may indeed be female. If I recall, the Monk knows of his/her true gender, as Maria was unconscious once and the monk tended to him/her, including the changing of clothes. While the monk does not disclose it, he mentioned that Maria does not need to talk about his/her secret, as almost everyone in the city or that world has their own secrets, and that he will keep mum about it, as he is still a monk afterall, even if he was expelled. However, these are no clear evidence, just assumptions one may make upon reading it. If the author throws in something else, who knows? But yes, I think that basically covers most of what you can come to know about the characters.
Was it mentionned in the novel that Aizen had his own guild? And that he had a short haired female guildmate that had some kind of affection toward him? Theres also Safina, the long blue haired mage, did she also have some kind of romantic feeling toward Tomato? And Tomato looked like he hailed from a rich family and wielded a large two handed sword. Sorry for the many question.
Edit: Azien Guildmate named Betty, just verified it now.
ShadowZeroHeart

SolBalmung wrote:
Was it mentionned in the novel that Aizen had his own guild? And that he had a short haired female guildmate that had some kind of affection toward him? Theres also Safina, the long blue haired mage, did she also have some kind of romantic feeling toward Tomato? And Tomato looked like he hailed from a rich family and wielded a large two handed sword. Sorry for the many question.
Yes, I recall him having a guildmate that has some kind of affection towards him, however his heart stays with Maria(Is that a good thing?) As for Safina, I am not sure about romantic feeling towards Tomato, but if I recall, I think she is a senior to the mage in Tomato's guild? Can't recall the details, been a long while since I read it, and I have yet to finish reading the side stories volumes out so far.

Tomato doesn't exactly look like he hailed from a rich family, though there seems to be indications that he was a renowned swordsman or his disciple or something. Tomato is full of secrets, so it is hard to tell much really. In fact, it is a big question whether he is human to begin with. It might have to do with his armor, but he might be immortal unless he uses the armor's full power or if he suffers from attacks even stronger than the armor can withstand?

Don't worry, I don't mind the questions, just that I might not be able to remember too much clearly, as it really has been a long time since I read the novel volumes, so my answers may not be fully accurate. Really sorry.

P.S. another thing about character names, as I read from the Chinese version, and is really bad at converting the names, I literally gave up. Sorry about that.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,
caitnap
Kyonist
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by caitnap »

hmmm... I read the manga spin-off, it's quite entertaining, although it lean more to comedy side...

I love this cover art, it's pretty

Bara no Maria in mangaupdates there is link to the spin off manga

I don't know about the dark side that makes ppl feel disgusting, I haven't read it myself so I am not going to just dismiss it as that
So I am looking forward to this to be translated
Studart
Haruhiist Disciple
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Studart »

Wow... Awesome *-* Shadow heart... The comment just made me wish to read huauhshuas
Akirina
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel: Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu, Shounen Onmyouji, Saiunkoku Monogatari, Rental Magica

Post by Akirina »

My brain just got about fried by reading that massive chunk :D Well, Baria no Maria has its moments of comedy, like Azian's attempts to confess to Maria... although that was in the manga. True, there might be some... unsavory parts, but it's interesting. :)
Sing the praise of heroes, curse the names of the betrayers...
This is the way how history is written.
ShadowZeroHeart

Akirina wrote:My brain just got about fried by reading that massive chunk :D Well, Baria no Maria has its moments of comedy, like Azian's attempts to confess to Maria... although that was in the manga. True, there might be some... unsavory parts, but it's interesting. :)

I can't recall in detail, nor do I want to... But this novel projects some insane images in one's mind...

Read at your own risk:
Spoiler! :
In an earlier post, Azian, as I said, was a prince. His duty is to "service" or "please" his "people" who may be deformed etc in any sense. This is done in the sense of how a prostitute "services" or "please" their clients. And prostitutes have some kind of choice, still. Whereas the royalty have to please all the people in the country, as and when the people so desires.

Good need not win against evil? In one arc, a hero and his guild, well-known as guardians, was challenged by an evil guild. The hero/leader of the guild, challenged to a duel, fell into a trap and died. The guild realized they stood no chance to win without their leader, and was forced to retreat. If I recall, the baddie fondled and humiliated the corpse of the hero. I am sure you can roughly guess what happened...

Another part showing the villain mentioned moments earlier had him sitting on a bunch of naked females, who had been in too much "exercise" and excitement(?) to move, and he just sat happily on his "throne". There was a mild illustration without showing a clear picture/view if I recall.

One woman that was in an alliance with the villain above, was granted power by vowing to protect one's virginity if I recall? And she is always followed by a man who protects her. If I recall, this villain eventually betrayed and raped her, dug her eyes out in front of the guardian who treasures her so.
There are some images and things burnt in my mind, but I am not exactly happy to have to recall them. So I am quite glad that I forgot a lot of details, so I may be mistaken about some parts. Do me a favor and DO NOT TELL ME TO LOOK IT UP.
God!!
You need not forgive me.
For those I love,

Return to “Future Project Suggestions”