Madan no Ou to Vanadis (Machine Translation) ~Preview~

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Know a great light novel series that should be translated? Tell us here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Please read the New Project Petition Guidelines before posting!
Gohankuten
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Re: Madan no Ou to Vanadis (Machine Translation) ~Preview~

Post by Gohankuten »

ArchmageXin wrote:Spirit or booze would work nicely. Or just rotate the name periodically.

Now someone go ctrl F through the entire text :lol:
Thanks for volunteering to do that Arch :lol:
zzhk
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by zzhk »

酒 refers to alcohol and liquor in general. It could also refer to the Japanese alcoholic beverage made from fermented rice but obviously not in a medieval European setting.

Unless a descriptive passage gives more details, committing to anything specific like beer or wine would be pure speculation. Booze sounds a bit informal, while spirits refer specifically to distilled beverages.
EnigmaticAxiom
Kyonite - The Haruhi Pacifier
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by EnigmaticAxiom »

zzhk wrote:酒 refers to alcohol and liquor in general. It could also refer to the Japanese alcoholic beverage made from fermented rice but obviously not in a medieval European setting.

Unless a descriptive passage gives more details, committing to anything specific like beer or wine would be pure speculation. Booze sounds a bit informal, while spirits refer specifically to distilled beverages.
I believe booze is a bit too lax as well. It's fine if someone is speaking, but as a narrative, it's a bit odd. I did my best regarding this issue, though. As for spirits, you're right about it being distilled, but I don't think there's any detail regarding that, so it's probably fine to use a lot of the alcohol and whatever as spirits.

As a side note, I would greatly appreciate it if any edits done on the volume have no contractions for narratives. For some reason, it sounds far too lax for my tastes. I probably did this on occasion, but meh.

The same goes for a few people. Lim and Ludmira (I'm not sure if I did the same for Elizavetta, Sophia, and Valentina) speaks formally, so I tried to eliminate any contractions in her speech (which is probably why some of it sounds awkward). Ludmira just seems like an anal person, Lim is wary of her position, Elizavetta speaks like someone kinda full of themselves (desuwayo or some shit like that), and Valentina I believe has a blood tie to King Victor (Estes, I believe, is what name they share). The same goes for anyone speaking to a person above their position (Massas --> Regin, Anybody --> King).

I won't say I'm anal, but I would have to say that these things in particular have to do with my personal aesthetics.

Edit: Before I forget, if people see "Bodwin," I would appreciate it if you change it to "Badouin."
Edit 2: Dammit, Steid --> Stade as well :(
Darklor
Project Editor
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Darklor »

Hm, what about brew?
Please don't mind my bad english since I'm german.

Darklor

Out of the dark, into the dark.

Return to “Future Project Suggestions”