Tsurugi no Hime to Aldebaran (聖剣の姫と神盟騎士団)

Have an idea on improving Baka-Tsuki?
Know a great light novel series that should be translated? Tell us here.

Moderators: Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Forum rules
Please read the New Project Petition Guidelines before posting!

Do you want this novel to be translated?

I might try translating this
7%
Yes
91%
No (Please give a reason)
1%
I am neutral about this (Please give a reason)
2%

Total votes: 183

TheCatWalk
Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Tsurugi no Hime to Aldebaran (聖剣の姫と神盟騎士団)

Post by TheCatWalk »

for this --> http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... _Aldebaran
Since simon started this,and there is already a tl'er registered [Vizier143]....might as well make a feedback thread.I personally want this to be tl'ed too.and Phinne is too freaking cute as a main heroine for me not to give her the proper attention she deserves >.< nya~
"Sword Princess and God" (聖剣の姫と神盟騎士団, Tsurugi no Hime to Aldebaran), is a Japanese light novel series written by Tomonori Sugihara and illustrated by Nidy‐2D-. Published by Kadokawa Sneaker Bunko, the series currently has 2 volumes.
Cover of Volume 1
Genre: Action, Adventure, Fantasy
English Title: Sword Princess and God
Original Title:聖剣の姫と神盟騎士団(つるぎのひめとアルデバラン)
Author: Tomonori Sugihara (杉原 智則 )
Illustrator: Nidy‐2D-
Published Volume: 1-2
Series Status: Ongoing

Summary/Synopsis [source is hemisphere's post from AS .... he should be around here somewhere...]
The invincible mercenary group 'Seikendan' [聖剣団/Saint's Sword Company(????) ] (formerly known as 神盟騎士団) comprising of six highly skilled, widely reputed individuals all leading their own corps, bound together and led by グラジス・エストール (and accompanied by his daughter フィーネ・エストール as an apprentice following in her father's footsteps), has repeatedly repelled the military advances of the country of カーラーン for over a year now. They have settled in the valley of ラグナ thus far, which is also the mercenary group's leader's hometown, and defended it from カーラーン time and time again. But when an unprecedented disaster strikes, with the one thing holding this invincible mercenary group together being taken away from them in one brief moment, the group crumbles under the pressure of the situation and a falling out ensues; the members, convinced that they could bring an end to this problem on their own without the help of the others, split apart. It now falls on フィーネ・エストール and her captive prisoner, ダーク, to defend the now-vulnerable valley of ラグナ from the military might of カーラーン whose leaders are all but eager to take advantage of this opportunity as a way to repay the shame of eight continuous losses despite having superior numbers, demons and magic on their side.
The synopsis was taken from the official site,might as well put is here.
"「おまえ、わたしのものになりなさい」「はい?」お調子者の初級魔道士ダークは、無敵の傭兵騎士団“聖剣団”の見習い剣士フィーネによって、無理やり団員にさせられる。だがラグナの谷を守るその騎士団は、今や弱小の”二代目”となっていた!? フィーネの下で聖剣団復活に付き合わされるダークだが、そんな矢先に禁断の黒魔術を操るカーラーン国の“魔軍”がラグナの谷へ侵攻し――!? 谷が危機を迎える中、ダークは持ち前の悪知恵を働かせ、思わぬ作戦に出る!! スニーカー文庫が放つ超王道ファンタジー始動!!"
Main leads Intro -
Dark (ダーク )
Spoiler! :
Dark is a complete antithesis to protagonist found in contemporary fiction. He is far from overpowered; he is a bottom-ranked magician whose ability to manipulate creatures (think summoner class in RPGs, minus the summoning and more projection) holds great potential, but is just too lazy to make use of it. He is neither charismatic nor charming; the author goes to great pains to point out how his face naturally adopts a smirking, patronizing expression that people can naturally take to hating in a heartbeat. He is nowhere near brave; he prioritizes the mantra of self-survival and takes it to the fullest, even bragging that he was the only one who has survived an encounter with every member of the Seikendan as in, he has faced each and every one of them in the battlefield, with the last one being Phinna Estor herself. Humility is not is strongest point; he thinks of himself as some grand figure whose legacy has yet to begin, when in reality he's more like a bumbling henchman in everyone's eyes. He also has a nasty habit of running his mouth off without thinking, especially when he's frightened or when emotions get the better of him (like when he's frightened).

He has a very sharp mind, however, and the strategies he can come up with out of his survival instincts are both unorthodox and ridiculously unfair, but quite effective. He is very much like Captain Jack Sparrow, minus the famous exploits but much of the scheming, self-interest to the gusto.
Phinne (フィーネ )
Spoiler! :
Phinne is, as mentioned before, Gragis's daughter and an apprentice of the Seikendan, until the falling out of the members involved pushed her to the frontlines. She is sincere and a lady of few words, who prefers training with the sword over pretty dresses and tea parties. The bearer of 聖剣ゼス, a sword that responds to its wielder's will and creates its blade out of magic (it's essentially a handle when not in use) and its blade responds accordingly to its bearer's skill and its enemy's composition. While very, very skilled in combat, she is not as well-versed when it comes to tactics and strategies, much less in reading behind the motivations and actions of those around her. She is straightforward and honest, she loves her father with a devotion close to worshipping him, but is also quite stoic and rarely lets her emotions show. Phinne is essentially cut from the same cloth as Honda Futayo, to those who are familiar with Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon. But oh god is she adorable.
A spoiler-ish Review
Spoiler! :
If you have a working familiarity with Wizardy or Wizardy-ish games, then most of the setting and terms used should be familiar. Volume 1 involved dungeon exploration, even, with some of the comedy involving dungeon mapping and other familiar conventional RPG tropes. The story makes use of some myths and legends as inspiration, which is inevitable given its nature - ラッセル's story about the origin behind his 竜殺し title should sound familiar to anyone familiar with Fafnir, for example.

This series has no harem, no sexy fanservice, no shounen battle training, nor powerlevels, which comes as a welcome relief from the oversaturation of those tropes in contemporary fiction. Whatever battles take place come off as practical and consistent, if a bit over-exaggerated in some regards (particularly, when the 聖剣団 member/s take to the field). The members of the 聖剣団 are portrayed as overpowered in their specializations, indeed, but they are just as flawed as everyone else which Volume 1 giddily points out. The comedy is either circumstantial (the author gleefully taking the piss out of Wizardy tropes in Vol. 1 for example) or due to said character flaws being pointed out and expounded on in some humorous manner. It was a welcome relief to find humor that didn't rely on something as cut-and-dried as fanservice gags, for example.

The story can be a bit inconsistent about its tone, however, and this is mostly why I would recommend the entirety of both Volumes 1 and 2 to be read before deciding whether or not to continue or drop this series. Volume 1 opens up with a light tone - somewhat too light, as the implications of the events that take place are just glossed over and hardly expounded on. The comedy in that volume also muddles up the mood the story was going for, making it lose its serious atmosphere a bit. Volume 2 is when the story takes a firmer stance on what tone the author seems to be going for, and expounds further on said implications as well as on the fundamental differences between the duo protagonists of the story. The second volume also further explores the underlying motives of certain characters involved, while providing the background behind some of the countries involved, particularly カーラーン's military expansions as well as on some of the magical elements involved. As an added complaint, I really don't see the purpose of ヤミー as a character aside being a narrative device. Her BL machinations also aren't that funny for me, but I'm thinking it's the author taking the piss at something I just can't put my finger on at the moment. I can only hope that she plays a more vital role in the future so as not to be a waste of a character.

ダーク's eccentric strategies playing out would probably be the main draw of this series, along with the interaction between ダーク and フィーネ mostly because of their fundamental character differences. Another one would be the lure of seeing the so-called invincible, 一騎当千 聖剣団 member du jour having their flaws exposed, reading into their past and how グラジス reached out to him/her, and how ダーク essentially creates a new bond between him/her and フィーネ, with their experience with グラジス serving as a counterpoint to showcase フィーネ's growth (potential or otherwise). It comes off as rather formulaic, though, in the sense that it unfolds as follows; ダーク and フィーネ try to reach out to a 聖剣団 member; ダーク finds out about their past and how they made contact with グラジス; ダーク asks フィーネ for more details; ダーク comes up with ludicrous strategy and フィーネ reluctantly goes along with it; shit hits the fan and フィーネ starts kicking ass and shows why she is グラジス the Undefeated's daughter not just in name. However, this series being just two volumes in, it would be a stretch to say that this predictability will continue in future volumes.
Last edited by TheCatWalk on Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
MAIN HEROINES FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!NYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
cramped
Project Translator

Re: Tsurugi no Hime to Aldebaran (聖剣の姫と神盟騎士団)

Post by cramped »

As such and as such......after much debate (or not?) on FB it had finally made itself here.
Patron God of NTRed
Swarz
Literature Club Member
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Swarz »

Awesome. Looking forward to reading this. no harem, no sexy fanservice, no shounen battle training? I'M SOLD!
denormative
Fish Miner
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by denormative »

No harem? No sexy fan-service? (No kissing?) What was the point of this again?

Oh, yeah, Wizardry! Granted fan-service would be nice (a la Hagure Yuusha, et al.), but I might cope without. >.>
Assorted PDFs: viewtopic.php?p=159960
TheCatWalk
Project Translator

Post by TheCatWalk »

denormative wrote:No harem? No sexy fan-service? (No kissing?) What was the point of this again?

Oh, yeah, Wizardry! Granted fan-service would be nice (a la Hagure Yuusha, et al.), but I might cope without. >.>
first....u might no believe this but...i ONLY LIKE THE MAIN HEROINE.....
no annoying tsunder osananajimis,no love rivals,no mysterious transfer student,no imoutos who isnt related to u by blood...nyahahahhaha
meaning,i dislike harem so this LN is made for me...and sadly...there are some....sweet scenes
meaing a bit a fanservice that every LN has...and booby chicks too....there are monster girls ,an element which tops random and annoying 'fan-service' a million fold[i love romance...but only mcXmainheroine nyahahahha]
Last edited by TheCatWalk on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

God Cacchan(This is the nickname I give you) god god, I hate this novel, no Fan service, no osananajimis, no mysterious transfer students, and worst no kawaii imouto non-blood-related what happen with this novel? it looks like so annoying for me :roll: :P

PS voted no :P
Call me Nurin!

chancs
Project Editor

Post by chancs »

Nura rihan wrote:God Cacchan(This is the nickname I give you) god god, I hate this novel, no Fan service, no osananajimis, no mysterious transfer students, and worst no kawaii imouto non-blood-related what happen with this novel? it looks like so annoying for me :roll: :P

No fanservice? Really?! Finally found one.
Too much fanservice gives me headache.

PS voted yes.. to 2nd option
TheCatWalk
Project Translator

Post by TheCatWalk »

chancs wrote:
Nura rihan wrote:God Cacchan(This is the nickname I give you) god god, I hate this novel, no Fan service, no osananajimis, no mysterious transfer students, and worst no kawaii imouto non-blood-related what happen with this novel? it looks like so annoying for me :roll: :P

No fanservice? Really?! Finally found one.
Too much fanservice gives me headache.

PS voted yes.. to 2nd option
yes!!!u feel me bro >.< this ln concentrates on plot and not bathing or bed scenes where ''They neeeveeer eveeeeer cross the line each and every single time'' [torture to me...seeing them naked in the same bed BUT not doing anything]
i'd rather see something more tastier than that nyaa ~ :D :D
Rohan123
Supreme Lord Temporal
Favourite Light Novel: Ore No Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai!

Post by Rohan123 »

But some fanservice is always appreciated. :|

But anyway, voted yes since summary ain't bad and the girl on the cover page looks cute. :lol:
Zowwy
Kyonist

Post by Zowwy »

Less Fan-service Rite :?:

I'll Give Full Support :D

Since Too Many FS Make My Eyes Burn And Gave Me Headache :3
If There's a Typo In My Post, I Purposely Do That, To See if The Readers Read My Post Thoroughly :D
---------------------
Our Day Has Come
It's Drawn In The Sky
So Don't Shed a Tear Now
Be Thankful For The Time

Life Wouldn't Be So Precious Dear, If There Never Was an End
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

No, your herectics, how can you don't like fan service? that is the bless of the Gods... Anyway I take a little time to read the summaries, I guess if it was not the lacking of fan service it would be a great novel :P :lol: :roll:
Call me Nurin!

TheCatWalk
Project Translator

Post by TheCatWalk »

Nura rihan wrote:No, your herectics, how can you don't like fan service? that is the bless of the Gods... Anyway I take a little time to read the summaries, I guess if it was not the lacking of fan service it would be a great novel :P :lol: :roll:
izzat so..........well,sadly ur wrong...this IS a good novel because there are less unnecessary distractions blah blah blah nyaa~
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

But the distractions that are the good thing of the novels :roll:

Anyway I will pay a little more attention to this novel as you say that I'm wrong... :roll:
Call me Nurin!

TheCatWalk
Project Translator

Post by TheCatWalk »

Nura rihan wrote:But the distractions that are the good thing of the novels :roll:

Anyway I will pay a little more attention to this novel as you say that I'm wrong... :roll:
Harem and multiple wives arnt the only pleasures in a novel u know.
btw,this one concentrates on building up the plot a lot more then the "Relationship Developments Between one male and multiple females".
though the mood change in v1 and v2 were....amazing XD
Nurin
馬鹿月の衛星保障機構 [F.S.B]

Post by Nurin »

TheCatWalk wrote:
Nura rihan wrote:But the distractions that are the good thing of the novels :roll:

Harem and multiple wives arnt the only pleasures in a novel u know.
btw,this one concentrates on building up the plot a lot more then the "Relationship Developments Between one male and multiple females".
though the mood change in v1 and v2 were....amazing XD
But... But... BUUUTT... :roll:

Anyway I guess you're right, I suppose I can expect good things from this novel then... :roll:
Call me Nurin!

Return to “Future Project Suggestions”