Some phrases I don't understand.

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

Dan
Square Mage
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Some phrases I don't understand.

Post by Dan »

As I read through the series, I keep running into some phrases and I don't get the idea they are trying to convey. I'll probably post here often, so please excuse me now for my stupidity. :P

The one that sticks in my head most is from Volume 3, Mysterique Sign.

"Nagato was looking at me intently with eyes like liquid helium."

Usually when I read something about someone having "cold eyes", they are angry or are psycho, but neither fits into Yuki's character.

And since this is my first post, I feel it necessary to give a huge "Thank you" to everyone helping with the project. I'm enjoying reading this very much. :)
BaKaFiSh
Senior Project Translator
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by BaKaFiSh »

very cold = very expressionless

is what it means, I think..^^

and Welcome!

xD

P.S. : I could be wrong, but that's how I see it..^^
cotton
Astral Realm

Post by cotton »

Cold usually means unemotional. Now a good definition of a psycho may be that they commit their crimes without remorse, without being able to empathise with their victims because they are so cold.

But being cold does not necessarily imply that kind of cool anger.

Yuki is not evil, she's a kind of computer. Her steely-eyed coldness reflects her (in theory) machine-like, unemotional identity. But, of course, as we discover in volume four, she is capable of being, ahem, warmed up.
Haiyami
Shamisen Wordsmith
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by Haiyami »

yes indeed. Liquid Helium i think refers to not so much a cold look but more like a glossy/glassy look derived of emotion but not cold. Think of all those glass eyes you see in dolls. Something like that perhaps?
talli
Astral Realm

Post by talli »

Maybe it also mean that Kyon can't tell what she's thinking?
Hillium is actually cool when it's let out of those hillium containers to fill up balloons or what-not, but it's a gas.
I think it just means unemotion as opposed to cold
Unreadable
Maybe like those LCD screens of computers?

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”