BAD NEWS!!!.....?

General discussion related to the Suzumiya Haruhi novel series

Moderators: thelastguardian, Fringe Security Bureau, Senior Editors, Senior Translators, Alt. Language Translator/Editor, Executive Council, Project Translators, Project Editors

ainsoph9
Osaka-ben Gaijin-Sama
Favourite Light Novel: Ahouka!

Re: BAD NEWS!!!

Post by ainsoph9 »

For those of you who do like the feeling of paper in hand:

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827 ... 9892/4/0/0

Here is the hardcover pre-order form for SHnY. A soft cover is available as well. I just did not link to it.
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

Afore mentioned paperback:

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827 ... 9893/4/0/0

$8.99? That's fully twice the price of the Japanese version... (not including the $20 S&H :lol:) $16.99 for a hardcover, too. Seems a tad excessive considering the book isn't that big.

ANYWAY

While I have little or no authority in the matter, I would like to suggest the following course of action if any is to be taken at this time:

Freeze work on the English SH novels. Not hard since it pretty much is already. Make available the current English version (ours) to the people who are working on the other, non-English versions if they are using it (and I think most if not all of them are). None of the other projects should be effected.

I would love to know how the official English versions turn out, but it's a full year away. If I had confidence that they did/will do a good job then I'd do everything I can to endorse it.
=Smidge=
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

well it's fair to say that the project has been frozen. Think its also good idea to lock the earlier volume entirely.

Plus maybe we should put a big sign up saying "wildly inaccurate translation" everywhere for the Haruhi page, while urgently encourage everyone to get the "superior professionally translated" licensed novel?

Hell, if this let use keep the work up, i don't care if we get peppered with people asking what the signs mean. :P

But just like to be clear on the licence, is it for the ENTIRE series? or up to a certain volume?

because if that is true, then we can still work on volume 10.

To be honest i think we will have a far easier range to breath compared to other Japanese centric medium, mainly because novel translation is insanely difficult if your aiming for authenticity and accuracy.

We never pretend to be any of those things, and think in order to makes things a little be clearer, we should specifically mention this, so to erm....give a subtle hint that any licensed material is bound to far better then anything we do.....well that's the official line anyway.

:)
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
shichinanatsu
Fish Miner

Post by shichinanatsu »

hmm.. if april '09 is gonna be the release date of TMoHS, then i would hope that v10 should have been released by then. also, i believe i read from somewhere (linked from a post in this thread) that they've only licensed until v9.. so if the translators here crank up working on v10, i would guess BT has a fat chance of getting ahead of that publishing house before they license v10..

and suddenly, my blood boiled upon reading that "Hannah Montana meets Heroes".. Haruhi is without peer!! BLASPHEMY!!

anyway.. i honestly think B-T has done a fine job translating the series, heavy reliance on wikipedia aside. true, it's still very much rough if we're talking about grammar, but considering that those who have worked on it were very much familiar with the series, the end result was still 'pure' if you will.

cultural research- and translation-wise i don't their version would be significantly better than ours. the only problem i think would be pertinent is the probability of them 'westernizing' the feel of the novels, which i don't need to emphasize as slanderous to Haruhi-sama.

do we really have to shoot down the SH branch? because at the most the only violation would be continuing the english project (as of now comatose for the lack of v10). i hope we can continue the alt language projects, still give other nationalities a chance at the series..

edit: i only learned it was against BT law to print any translations from the wiki when i read the disclaimer, and after i printed v1 up to v7.. back when i still had money to burn and time to waste. its probably criminal, but my ONLY regret in doing it lies in not paying my dues to Kadokawa and Tanigawa-san.
雨 (ame) trilogy 8)

[070428] アメサラサ (amesarasa)
[090925] 夏ノ雨 (natsu no ame)
[120831] イモウトノカタチ (imouto no katachi)
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

onizuka-gto wrote:well it's fair to say that the project has been frozen. Think its also good idea to lock the earlier volume entirely.

Plus maybe we should put a big sign up saying "wildly inaccurate translation" everywhere for the Haruhi page, while urgently encourage everyone to get the "superior professionally translated" licensed novel?

Hell, if this let use keep the work up, i don't care if we get peppered with people asking what the signs mean. :P

But just like to be clear on the licence, is it for the ENTIRE series? or up to a certain volume?

because if that is true, then we can still work on volume 10.

To be honest i think we will have a far easier range to breath compared to other Japanese centric medium, mainly because novel translation is insanely difficult if your aiming for authenticity and accuracy.

We never pretend to be any of those things, and think in order to makes things a little be clearer, we should specifically mention this, so to erm....give a subtle hint that any licensed material is bound to far better then anything we do.....well that's the official line anyway.

:)
Oni, check your PMs.
fiendmaw
Astral Realm

Post by fiendmaw »

I hope we'll get to read the B-T translation before they license it...if not a particular guy in Romania is going to get MAD!!!!...
Oh well,let's hope for the best...
cicero225
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cicero225 »

Kaisos Erranon wrote:
cicero225 wrote: So while browsing the wiki site for haruhi, I noticed a flaw: For some reason there seems to be no volume 6 link (that is, no link that takes you to where to click. If you scroll down manually, vol 6 is of course still there). I'm just not sure where I'm supposed to point out something like this.

Kaisos's post seems reassuring...until you read that other post the guy has. What a horrible synopsis, as someone above me has said.
If you read the post I linked to, he points out the problems with that synopsis himself and why it was used.

Just relaaaax.

And I still see the Vol.6 link.
Bleh, I managed to read that post without actually reading what was being quoted...no observation skills badge for me....Nevermind then.
As for the link, I mean the link the in the table of contents. The things you click which take you down the page to the actual link.
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

cicero225 wrote:
Bleh, I managed to read that post without actually reading what was being quoted...no observation skills badge for me....Nevermind then.
As for the link, I mean the link the in the table of contents. The things you click which take you down the page to the actual link.
The one at the top of the page? I still see it there. It's not even part of the actual page code, so I can't see why it wouldn't show up...
Smidge204
Astral Realm

Post by Smidge204 »

?
=Smidge=
Kaisos Erranon
Astral Realm

Post by Kaisos Erranon »

Smidge204 wrote:*snip*

?
=Smidge=
Exactly. Thank you.
TUNAFISHISGOOD
Astral Realm

Post by TUNAFISHISGOOD »

I don't see how this is a bad news... If the novel get licensed more it will spread. I just hope they do good job with the translation. Actually make the literature flow.

XD my plan to pass get english teacher's degree and use Haruhi novels for novel studies are coming true. :twisted:
It will have to be at least in highschool level though..

^I'm lying I have different dream. :roll:
TheGiftedMonkey
Supreme Lord Temporal

Post by TheGiftedMonkey »

It's bad for Baka-Tsuki because we don't translate/host licensed works. It says right in the description of Baka-Tsuki that if a novel gets licensed, we'll take it down. I'm not sure if it's immediately or upon request of the owners, but we'll see what big boss has to say. Anyone EMail him about it yet? Oni?
onizuka-gto
Editor-in-Chief
Favourite Light Novel: Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahouka koukou no Rettousei
No Game No Life
Mushoku Tensei
Mother of Learning

Post by onizuka-gto »

no comment.

:roll:
"Please note, we have added a consequence for failure.Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an unsatisfactory mark on your official test record, followed by death. Good luck."

@Onizukademongto
Dan
Square Mage

Post by Dan »

lol You mean 10,000th comment! Yay Haruhi! :D
cicero225
Vice Commander Itsuki
Favourite Light Novel:

Post by cicero225 »

Smidge204 wrote: *snip*
=Smidge=
That....is really weird. Mine is just not there. This has been the case for months....
Well, as long as it's not a global issue, it's not a big deal.

Return to “Suzumiya Haruhi”